house connections to a municipal waste line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house connections to a municipal waste line

i just watched an episode of this old house where a subject house's waste line was being reattached to a city subterranean waste main. all the rubber fittings were unbanded and the pipe material was plastic. my new york city suburban town would not allow these types of materials for dwv. is our inspector just being old fashioned? no plastic is permitted on DWV. approved materials are copper, cast iron or steel.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: house connections to a municipal waste line

I spent much of this Christmas and all of the next day snaking drains and installing clean-outs (that should have been there) at the originator of "This Old House"s old house. Lets just say, the light of my respect shows dimly on him. That being said, If those materials are not approved for your town, region or state, than that is it. If PVC is an approved material, then politely request an explanation as to why it can't be used.
    Good luck
    Mike

Comment

plastic is not approved as it outgasses poisonous chemicals in a fire, according to the plumbing inspector.

Comment

The inspector is correct. Can the inspector cite the authority having jurisdiction that banned PVC as an approved material? (It would be wise to do this respectfully)
        Mike

Comment

my original post was aimed more at the unbanded couplings that were used in a subterranean application. it just seemed odd to rely on a rubber boot and two band clamps (which is pretty much what a fernco type fitting appears to be) rather than a banded clamp, which seems to be considerably more substantial.

Comment

I'm sorry I misunderstood. Fernco's have thier place, especially when repairing
            or replacing sections of underground waste pipe. They are over used in other places where no-hub(banded)clamps could be used.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
              my original post was aimed more at the unbanded couplings that were used in a subterranean application. it just seemed odd to rely on a rubber boot and two band clamps (which is pretty much what a fernco type fitting appears to be) rather than a banded clamp, which seems to be considerably more substantial.

New York is known as having the strictest plumbing codes, Kentucky falls right behind them.
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-26-2008, 09:35 AM.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've lived and worked on both costs. Keep in mind it's a big country ,with different local amendments to two nationwide codes. No outside cleanouts drive Me crazy!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                X