X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Copper Questions

First, thanks to all of you for the invaluable answers that I have received to date. Based, in no small part, to knowledge garnered here I have decided to upgrade the galvanized in my house with copper. I have one final copper question and the first of what will, I'm sure, be many waste question.

Should I use type L or type M copper for the supply? I am sure this is a question that many of you have answered before, unfortunately I can't seem to find any previous posts with an answer.

First waste question, turns out it is really two questions. I am tearing out the basement and will have all the waste line exposed. Currently the main stack is cast and the drains and vents are galvanized. I have already had to replace the drain for the bathroom sink with PVC because the galvanized was corroded nearly closed. I am planning on replacing all the drains with PVC. Do I need to replace the cast stack with PVC, or is it acceptable to tie the new PVC into the old cast stack? Currently there are no drain issues, everything drains well and fast. Second do, or should I, replace the galvanized pipe that is functioning only as vent. There is a galvanized line that runs from the basement bathroom parallel to the main stack and eventually ties into the stack above the level of all the ground level bathroom fixtures, it is the vent for the basement fixtures. Does that line need replaces? It really would mean nothing more than tearing out more plaster in the ground level bathroom, but is it worth it? OK so I lied I have one more question. Should I use ABS or PVC for all my waste lines? I'm sure that is a pretty silly question I just trust you fellas more than the kid at HD.

Thanks again for any information and answers.
    Sean

Re: 2 Copper Questions

Sean
    1) use type L its about twice the wall thickness of type M
    2-100)replace as much as you can afford and use the materials most common to your area and use the correct solvents and glues.
    Good luck
    Mike

Comment

type K is twice as thick but twice as expensive. Type L will do the trick. the scale of thickness from thickest to thinnest is.... type K,L,M,DWV, and then H for heating. Obviously DWV is out and L will work fine. Replacing your drainage, is up to you. ABS and PVC are both flame resistant and will connect easily to your cast stack. Have fun with your demo and good luck.
      if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Type "L" all the way

Some use type "K" on occassion where needed,mostly in the ground.

ABS is easier to work with.I like to use PVC when feasible.In cramped and tight spaces I run ABS becuase of the contorted positions you have to get into to run the system.PVC makes for a nicer looking end product if installed by a knowledgeable individual.Out here in SO. CALIF. both products are equal in function if installed properly.

If you can,replace as much waste line as you can while you got the drywall mud out.Vents are just as important in a plumbing system yet take alot longer to start failing.
        Last edited by drtyhands; 01-26-2008, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
          type K is twice as thick but twice as expensive. Type L will do the trick. the scale of thickness from thickest to thinnest is.... type K,L,M,DWV, and then H for heating. Obviously DWV is out and L will work fine. Replacing your drainage, is up to you. ABS and PVC are both flame resistant and will connect easily to your cast stack. Have fun with your demo and good luck.
          Type H ??

What the heck is that?

The most commonly used are K, L, M, DWV, & ACR tube.
          Round these parts M is used for heat, L for water inside the building, and K for underground and sometimes inside. ACR tube is for Refrigeration and AC work.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
            Sean
            1) use type L its about twice the wall thickness of type M
            2-100)replace as much as you can afford and use the materials most common to your area and use the correct solvents and glues.
            Good luck
            Mike

I agree 100% as well, as the others said K is thicker but also on the wallet ,

L will do you just fine
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

up here in canada we have type H. its color code is white and its the copper used in the finn and tube radiators. thin, thin copper
              if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

I belive type H is a Canada only thing. Maybe even just Alberta. I've worked in B.C. and Sask. and nobody I talked to there was familar with it. I don't think type H is available anymore, its all type M now.
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

In Virginia, all residential homes are water piped with type M copper unless on a well. Colorado may be different.

Also, PVC is by far and away better than ABS. ABS is not allowed anymore in Virginia for new installations. I know it's still common in other places, but PVC is longer lasting. Better system.

Replace all galvanized waste lines.

Cast Iron stacks are OK.

Galvanized dry vents are OK.

Comment

when you get fin tube that copper is thiner then m but it does not say what it is
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Type H is discontinued now, but like row said its still used in baseboard radiation. On the wall thickness scale its about halfway between type m and DWV
                      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
                        up here in canada we have type H. its color code is white and its the copper used in the finn and tube radiators. thin, thin copper
                        Oh wow - I never heard of that ,

By any chance could you take some pictures for me

That would be sweet, I would love to hear more about this for sure, so if you have a few minutes send me a pm.
                        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                        X