X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting off an ABS CAP

I bought a condo with a second floor bath. I wanted to finish it off myself because they wanted a fortune. They accidentally finished it off, but two weeks before my closing they removed all of the fixtures and capped them. The soil pipe to the toilet has an abs cap over the pipe. The closet flange is already installed. How do I get the cap off ? I turned it with my hands, but the whole soil pipe is moving. Do I just hit it with a hammer, or is there a solvent ...or do I have to heat it ? Any help would be appreciated. I have installed toilets before, but a cap was never involved.

Re: Getting off an ABS CAP

That pipe should not be turning. Someone forgot to glue a joint. I just usually cut the cap off and glue my fitting on.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was told to intentionally NOT glue the last section of pipe under the closet flange. Later when the finish floor is installed, you can then pull that pipe and cut it to the perfect length to get the flange at the perfect height. THEN you glue.
      Could that be what happened here?
      Is that correct practice?
      Last edited by Dairylander; 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Makes perfect sense.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Here, if there is a flange on a poured concrete floor we glue everything in the ground, and simply cut the pipe flush with the floor at trim time and simply use a 3" flush fit flange. Sure they're not the best flanges, due to restriction of flow, but alot more mistake proof than estimating the poured height of concrete and also beats the **** out of mixing up some concrete at trim time.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
            I was told to intentionally NOT glue the last section of pipe under the closet flange. Later when the finish floor is installed, you can then pull that pipe and cut it to the perfect length to get the flange at the perfect height. THEN you glue.
            Don't know how you'd get an inspection off like that.

It sounds like, in this case, that it isn't glued. Pull it up.

As far as in concrete goes...
            Always run 4" to the WC. Use a 4x3 Closet Bend if it's a 3" branch. Then you can use a standard 4x3 Closet Flange after cutting to finished floor.

Comment

This sounds like a renovation cap. Its not glued, just real tight to the flange. It can spin with the flange ring if they didn't fasten it. Can you post a picture of this cap?
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
                What you were told is wrong. Never install a pipe without soldering, tightening, gluing, etc. That is how buildings get flooded.
                the dog

Comment

sounds to me like th moving pipe might be the outer ring of the flange and the cap would be the test cap. carefullf knock one edge of the cap loose and pry it out, dont let it fall in or ot will stop at the expansion joint and plug up your system
                  how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                  X