Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PEX questions for the experts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: PEX questions for the experts

    Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    That makes a serious two of us.
    Three.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: PEX questions for the experts

      The local supply house MVP has had a waterless urinal for at least four years now. Every time I use it , it is clean and I do not notice any odors. It is all in the proper care and maintenance. Actually come to think of it a few of the theaters in town have converted to them along with the San Diego Zoo. Waxie cleaning services , services the ones at the and theaters. The one at Mission Valley Pipe they clean every other day and restore the solvent every few months. The great thing about a waterless in a commercial setting is there is no way tissue , gum etc. can enter the drain line. Along with the upside is urine will not calcify without water. The likelihood of the drain backing up is much less.
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: PEX questions for the experts

        Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
        Along with the upside is urine will not calcify without water.
        How is this possible? Are you sure?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: PEX questions for the experts

          Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          How is this possible? Are you sure?
          From what I was told by the guys at mission valley, urine only calcifies with other minerals. I do not know this for a fact but it makes sense to me. If you read the literature that comes with the Waxies solvent it in essence says the same thing. Just read a few sites they all state pretty much the same thing. Not to say the system will never back up but the hard mineral deposit are reduced due to the lack of water in the system. Think about it, remember being a little boy and peeing in a bottle putting the cap on and forgetting about it . Well maybe you never did that type of thing oh well I better stop here.
          Last edited by Crappy days; 03-02-2008, 07:09 PM.
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: PEX questions for the experts

            I "pexed" my entire house from meter in with Wirsbo Aquapex. Sell the hand crimper on craigslist when done. Buy all stuff online.
            Even though inspector is a total........ He was impressed by what I did with zero prior experience.
            I'd forget the city if you can. Your insurance will weasle out of any payments wether you had a permit or not. (Look at Allstate Katrina, Tornados etc) Latest insurance thing is 2 things happen at once (wind/flood) then we no payee!
            Get a plastic urinal from a Porta-Poti and keep a jug of water handi to wash it down.
            I don't think any of the other pex systems come close to wirsbo connection. Almost have to do a connection to beleive it. 5 minutes later you can't budge or twist that thing at all. I had one or two drips because I was impatient and couldn't wait to turn water on! All fixed themselves within a few hours.
            The few brass thrd. fittings I had to use almost all leaked for a while. You just can't tightne those things enough or they will break. I don't know if it's crappy thread cutting tools or what but they just don't fit rite. My 2 cents.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: PEX questions for the experts

              Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
              I "pexed" my entire house from meter in with Wirsbo Aquapex. Sell the hand crimper on craigslist when done. Buy all stuff online.
              Even though inspector is a total........ He was impressed by what I did with zero prior experience.
              I'd forget the city if you can. Your insurance will weasle out of any payments wether you had a permit or not. (Look at Allstate Katrina, Tornados etc) Latest insurance thing is 2 things happen at once (wind/flood) then we no payee!
              Get a plastic urinal from a Porta-Poti and keep a jug of water handi to wash it down.
              I don't think any of the other pex systems come close to wirsbo connection. Almost have to do a connection to beleive it. 5 minutes later you can't budge or twist that thing at all. I had one or two drips because I was impatient and couldn't wait to turn water on! All fixed themselves within a few hours.
              The few brass thrd. fittings I had to use almost all leaked for a while. You just can't tightne those things enough or they will break. I don't know if it's crappy thread cutting tools or what but they just don't fit rite. My 2 cents.

              This is telling in many ways.

              At one time we never had this infiltration into plumbing that gives the ability for such ease to do something relating to potable water systems.

              This is the first cautionary tale coming from what's toted as the best PEX out there, problems with brass fittings. Cough! Cough! Zurn class action lawsuit! Cough! Hack! P-tuey!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: PEX questions for the experts

                Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
                I "pexed" my entire house from meter in with Wirsbo Aquapex. Sell the hand crimper on craigslist when done. Buy all stuff online.
                Even though inspector is a total........ He was impressed by what I did with zero prior experience.
                I'd forget the city if you can. Your insurance will weasle out of any payments wether you had a permit or not. (Look at Allstate Katrina, Tornados etc) Latest insurance thing is 2 things happen at once (wind/flood) then we no payee!
                Get a plastic urinal from a Porta-Poti and keep a jug of water handi to wash it down.
                I don't think any of the other pex systems come close to wirsbo connection. Almost have to do a connection to beleive it. 5 minutes later you can't budge or twist that thing at all. I had one or two drips because I was impatient and couldn't wait to turn water on! All fixed themselves within a few hours.
                The few brass thrd. fittings I had to use almost all leaked for a while. You just can't tightne those things enough or they will break. I don't know if it's crappy thread cutting tools or what but they just don't fit rite. My 2 cents.
                You have got to be kidding right? No permits on a complete re-pipe, with a different material. On the deed to the house it should clearly state what it was plumbed with(copper,Galvi etc.). I think you would be asking for problems down the road doing this.
                THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: PEX questions for the experts

                  I don't quite get your point? I've been drinking the water for months now and tastes good.
                  Is your concern backflow into city sytem? During the coarse of my remodel the Fire F wanted sprinklers and the W. Dept. was adamant about seperate dedicated $5,000 meter with backflow built in.
                  Somehow by this time I have a brand new $3,000 meter for drinking water and no backflow required. Why - I have no idea.
                  I also have no Idea how sprinkler thing got dropped by wayside.
                  Anyway - If you want to go ahead with all city requirements w/o question by all means waste your extra $20,000!
                  I could tear out and re-do my plumbing 3 times and it wouldn't cost what a "Pro" would. And actually - I did hire part of my DWV system because I was unsure about passing code on some venting. Total PC of crap job but it passed partly because guy too lasy to go down in crawlspace (thank god) to inspect anything. Waste of $1,000 thought.
                  Should I have left my 50 year old galv. pipe in place and kept drinking god knows what out of that?
                  All I've learned is that following the rules costs a lot and has absolutley nothing to do with safety. Its all revenue generation for municipality with a tiny bit of inspection thrown in to make it look like they did something.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: PEX questions for the experts

                    C' Days - I think you miss-understood. I did (do) have a permit and I passed with NO errors, failures, call backs whatever.
                    It's pretty easy to run a 1" Pex line from a new water meter and branch off to a few things such as water heater and what not. Man - It must be easy if I pulled it off!
                    Sorry if new materials cutting into business or whatever your concern. I'm just not into pissing away money to city. Latest thing I got from them is he's trying to say my Manufactured Truss system is missing some bracing! I was S.'ing bricks thinking I'd done it wrong. I hadn't. Their engineer had to call and straighten him out. What was that all about - showingme who's boss and nothing else. Have a good one!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: PEX questions for the experts

                      Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
                      I don't quite get your point? I've been drinking the water for months now and tastes good.
                      Is your concern backflow into city sytem? During the coarse of my remodel the Fire F wanted sprinklers and the W. Dept. was adamant about seperate dedicated $5,000 meter with backflow built in.
                      Somehow by this time I have a brand new $3,000 meter for drinking water and no backflow required. Why - I have no idea.
                      I also have no Idea how sprinkler thing got dropped by wayside.
                      Anyway - If you want to go ahead with all city requirements w/o question by all means waste your extra $20,000!
                      I could tear out and re-do my plumbing 3 times and it wouldn't cost what a "Pro" would. And actually - I did hire part of my DWV system because I was unsure about passing code on some venting. Total PC of crap job but it passed partly because guy too lasy to go down in crawlspace (thank god) to inspect anything. Waste of $1,000 thought.
                      Should I have left my 50 year old galv. pipe in place and kept drinking god knows what out of that?
                      All I've learned is that following the rules costs a lot and has absolutley nothing to do with safety. Its all revenue generation for municipality with a tiny bit of inspection thrown in to make it look like they did something.
                      My point is, the advise not to pull a permit on installing a totally different material is crazy. I am all for saving money, and if he were a licensed plumber I might even entertain the thought . But to give this advice to a lay person in my opinion is suicide.
                      Last edited by Crappy days; 03-04-2008, 01:06 PM.
                      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: PEX questions for the experts

                        Can only go by my personal experience. I seriously doubt that the system in place provides results worth the cost in other areas. I can say for a fact NO One in my neighborhood is safer from, Fire, Unsanitary Plumbing, Air polution or any other Gvnmt. Regulated "thing". There is no way I could have known this w/o going thru the process and seeing it 1st hand.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: PEX questions for the experts

                          Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
                          Can only go by my personal experience. I seriously doubt that the system in place provides results worth the cost in other areas. I can say for a fact NO One in my neighborhood is safer from, Fire, Unsanitary Plumbing, Air polution or any other Gvnmt. Regulated "thing". There is no way I could have known this w/o going thru the process and seeing it 1st hand.

                          Sorry, but re-piping one house does not make you an expert. Let the experts give this type of advice. After all the heading is ask the experts, meaning licensed contractors or at least those having been in the field awhile. Not that I am opposed to help or info from a DIY but the line has got to be drawn at some point.
                          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: PEX questions for the experts

                            Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
                            Buy all stuff online.
                            Even though inspector is a total........ He was impressed by what I did with zero prior experience.
                            I think the inspector should be grateful.
                            Groundhog Day...Bill Murray, AWSOME movie.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: PEX questions for the experts

                              If this was my place and I was doing it for my self,

                              On the Colorado plains your water lines should be at least 3+ feet down and preferably 4 foot, I know it is not "normal" to have frost down much more than 2 foot, but "WE" have not had overly cold winters here for a number of years. (yes the last two years have been colder or more near normal). http://www.soundfootings.com/pdf/US_...t_DepthAVG.pdf
                              from the city of golden on frost depth of footers,
                              http://www.ci.golden.co.us/SearchRes...xtKeyWords=ibc section 45
                              The frost depth within the City (for the purpose of determining the minimum depth for perimeter and exterior footings, foundations, and piers) is established at thirty-six (36) inches below grade.
                              .
                              and if a footer should be 3 feet, my guess is your water line should be at least that if not deeper.

                              IF your going to hook into the line on the sprinkler system hook into the feed line, (the purpose of the back flow valve is to keep contamination out of the "potable water system" (so the side with the lawn sprinkler on it is not considered a potable system,

                              and personally I would feed through the basement and valve that line so I can shut it off if there is a need with out shutting off other parts of the water system, and by pass the sprinkler system all together,

                              as far as the pex question, (I have never ran pex), but my guess is there is a fitting that will adapt to pipe thread, and one would have to splice into the water line, (If copper and solder in a tee and a fitting to adapt to a female pipe thread), If plastic then the same but in the material that is there. IF it is galvanized pipe then one should be able to back out a length of threaded pipe and put in a shorter nipple and a tee at the proper depth and then another nipple and hook things back up, and tie into the tee.

                              also when you enter your garage/man room one should go under the slab or fooer a distance to get away from the frost that will migrate in from the side of the slab, to keep freezing from happening,
                              This is my oppion.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X