Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

PEX questions for the experts

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PEX questions for the experts

    Hi,

    First of all, I am not a plumbing expert, but an enthusiastic DIYer, so pardon the possibly stupid questions.

    I am in the process of building my manroom/workshop in 1/3 of my new 3 car detached garage. I want to put a sink and urinal (yes a urinal, despite the threats from my wife) in there. I have the sewer line roughed in and connected the city system. Now I just need to get water from my house to the detached garage. I plan on just running a cold line and then using a tankless heater in the garage if I decide I want hot water at some point. Fortunately I found an old PVC sprinkler line that runs underground 90% of the way between the two structures. So my plan is to use this pvc as conduit and run a length of PEX through it between point A and B. At the house this will put one end of the pex close to the sprinkler system pressure backflow antifreezing thingies (see, not an expert) that comes out of the house, making it possible to avoid making another penetration into the basement and possible giving me some freeze protection (although I know this may be a 3 season manroom).

    So after all that, my question is: How do I connect the pex to the copper coming out of the backflow thingy? Most of the PEX stuff seems to need a special $200 tool and since I am going to be making a grand total of 3-4 connections that seems like a lot of money and even that seems like it only works for pex-pex connections. I want to go copper-PEX and then back to copper once it is in the garage (or can I run PEX all the way to the fixtures)

    Thanks in advance for the help.

  • #2
    Re: PEX questions for the experts

    I'll let someone else go into details on your question, I'm just not into helping the diyer. But I'm going to save you some possible heart ache by suggesting you make sure the urinal you plan to use is compatable with a residential water service. Most are not.
    the dog

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: PEX questions for the experts

      You can rent crimp tools from home depot for about 16 bucks a day
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

      www.westtrailmechanical.ca

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: PEX questions for the experts

        Yeah I deal with those backflow thingys all the time. Tuff question I can't answer.

        If ya ever get in a boat where you have to hook to those thingamabob brass faucets, good luck! I couldn't do it.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: PEX questions for the experts

          The downstream side of your backflow is not potable water and cannot be used. What type of pipe is feeding the backflow? It is also highly unlikely you will have the proper volume to flush a urnial.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: PEX questions for the experts

            dont want to be a wet blanket...but like others have said resi water system compatability with a urinal might be a problem....

            u can rent pex crimpers like someone said...add a few extra pats for the inevatable miss crimps...

            I follow your design for water in....mist the waste/sewer/discharge part of your plan....that can become a major pain/expense..

            one other big problem u might be over looking is code enforcement....dependeing on your area...neighbors...IF u chose not to pull a permit...and someone calls code enfocement...like a neighbor...u got major problems.....if u pull a permit then they can in some areas be down right anti social so to speak....in my area Palm Bay code enforcement makes the KGB seem warm and fussy.

            Last problem is your home owners insurance...u have a like break flood...water damnage...mold....Insurance company can ...blame almost any damnage to your home on the work u did....they could go to extreams.....and have more $$ to beat u in court than most people have.....

            Sounds like a good idea...hope it all works out..post some pic when your done.....just rember to cover your self in terms of code enforecement and Home Owners insurance....hate to see u save a few $$ only to get slamed in the long term.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: PEX questions for the experts

              Thanks for all the help/advice. Looks like I may have to revisit the urinal idea. My wife will be delighted

              When I built the garage a plumber who was working on another project owed me a favor so I had him rough in the sink and toilet and connect it all to the sewer. That part was fully permitted and approved. So now I just need to get water out there. Basically I am hoping to have one step above a garden hose running between the house and garage/shop. As far as I know, the water coming out of the backflow thingy is potable. It comes from the water service in the basement of my house which feeds everything else. And it is a 3/4" copper line. Last time I was in Home Depot I picked up the pamphlet of tools that are rentable and didn't see anything that sounded like what I need. Maybe I need to talk to an actual live person, if I can find one. Thanks again. I will post pictures when I am done.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: PEX questions for the experts

                In some states, like California, you can do a job yourself without permits if the $$ amount is below a certain amount but it sounds like your little project will cost more than the maximum. Not sure how Colorado works.

                That means getting some plans made and getting a permit. It'll cost you more but you'll have an approved job when finished.

                The backflow thingie is probably a double check valve or a reduced pressure device with a relief valve between the two checks, but it also could be a pressure or atmospheric vacuum breaker. The water that runs through that line is just as good as your "potable" water supply for your house, if it has been installed properly. That includes all downstream piping too. The device is there to protect yours and others water services in the event of a backflow event that may happen. Most urinals have a vacuum breaker installed just below the flush valve to protect against that type event even if you aren't supplied through a backflow valve. In this case you would have double protection and your neighbors shouldn't be too worried about it. But they might be upset that you are doing something that cost them money to do the right way.

                It's allright to be a DIYer but you still must do things the right way.

                Good luck.

                DT

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: PEX questions for the experts

                  Originally posted by DavidTees View Post
                  In some states, like California, you can do a job yourself without permits if the $$ amount is below a certain amount but it sounds like your little project will cost more than the maximum. Not sure how Colorado works.

                  That means getting some plans made and getting a permit. It'll cost you more but you'll have an approved job when finished.

                  The backflow thingie is probably a double check valve or a reduced pressure device with a relief valve between the two checks, but it also could be a pressure or atmospheric vacuum breaker. The water that runs through that line is just as good as your "potable" water supply for your house, if it has been installed properly. That includes all downstream piping too. The device is there to protect yours and others water services in the event of a backflow event that may happen. Most urinals have a vacuum breaker installed just below the flush valve to protect against that type event even if you aren't supplied through a backflow valve. In this case you would have double protection and your neighbors shouldn't be too worried about it. But they might be upset that you are doing something that cost them money to do the right way.

                  It's allright to be a DIYer but you still must do things the right way.

                  Good luck.

                  DT
                  You better review your code book before you give advice.

                  In California any alteration to a plumbing system requires a permit, regardless of the cost.
                  the dog

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: PEX questions for the experts

                    Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                    You better review your code book before you give advice.

                    In California any alteration to a plumbing system requires a permit, regardless of the cost.
                    I guess that is why you are here, plumbdog...This set of threads is not in the "expert" area, so I guess you should expect responses like ours. Thanks for the input.

                    DT

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: PEX questions for the experts

                      first off if you sleeve the pex in a old sprinkler line that means line is only 6" to a foot under ground and i see that it gets quit cold in Denver! line will probably freeze. What you might want to try is a new waterless urinal that you can buy from a supply house and is made by Sloan.
                      ________
                      VAPORIZER ANSWER
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM.
                      Mike

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: PEX questions for the experts

                        waterless Urinals Argggggggggggg...... Bell traps, mechanical seals, stinky, unsanitary Arggggggggggggg.....
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: PEX questions for the experts

                          I did not read all the post so excuse me if this was answered already. Install a waterless urinal, this way you do not have to worry about water volume.
                          Last edited by Crappy days; 03-02-2008, 04:20 AM.
                          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: PEX questions for the experts

                            If you go waterless check for rebates as they are available in CA. After the rebate the urinal is less than 10 bucks.
                            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: PEX questions for the experts

                              Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              waterless Urinals Argggggggggggg...... Bell traps, mechanical seals, stinky, unsanitary Arggggggggggggg.....
                              That makes a serious two of us.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X