X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Drain Tiles Outside From Inside Sump Pumps

I have 3 sump pumps in my basement and 1 outside; 2 in the back of the house and 1 in the front. I ran 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC from the pumps up and outside the house. The PVC pipe exits the house about 12" above ground level. The PVC pipe runs into a corrugated 4" solid drain tile that is buried under the ground. The longest drain tile I have runs about 100' to the curbside.

The problem I am having just recently is the temperature fell and (2) of the drain tiles froze. During a rain yesterday, the sump pumps couldn't discharge due to the lines being froze outside. I understand this is due to a grade issue. I didn't properly slope my pipe to allow the water to fully discharge.

What is the proper way to run a drain tile outside the house in my situation? I plan on using 4" PVC come spring time in leui of corrugated pipe for better insulation. Another problem I have is that if I bury the pipe too deep, my grade won't allow me to have the pipe resurface where it exits. During heavy rains my pumps run ALOT.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Re: Running Drain Tiles Outside From Inside Sump Pumps

After further thought, I believe I answered my own question on this. I just need to bury the line as deep as possible, and ensure I have a proper grade so all of the water flows out and does not sit in the pipe.

Also, I believe I will be safe unplugging the sump pumps during extremely cold temperatures as the water table should not raise much.

Comment

4" elephant trunk is garbage ,and banned in the bay area. Schedule 35 min,or better 40 is the way to go. Where was the city when the developer put Your basement below the water table?
      They all should be hung! Your home will be a swamp for ever! Good luck
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Before doing all the work of regrading that, you may want to check with your town about the code. My town prohibits discharging sump water into the gutters/streets or on any paved surface.

Comment

reguarding your freezing issues in canada it gets f'n cold (last week it was-49C/-20.2F with wind) and i was busy fixing burst pipes. 1) burry your pipe below your frost line(if there is such a thing in Indiana) and 2) wrap it with a heat trace tape. Just like it sounds, a tape that you plug in and creates heat hence no freezing strom drain. Also like ellie said consult your local code to see where to drain. Have fun
          if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
            (last week it was -49C/-20.2F with wind)
            -49 degree Celsius = -56.2 degree Fahrenheit = f'n cold
            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Our frost line is 3 feet. I cannot bury the pipe this deep. At best, I might be able to go a foot. My grade is relatively flat. Therefore, if I dig it too deep, and try to keep the grade constantly sloping to where it exits, it will be even deeper. The pipe discharges behind my garage into easement. It is about 50' from my house. My nieghbor discharges into his front yard and uses a pop-up valve. I would think this would freeze as well and restrict waterflow during heavy rain storms.

Comment

Thanks for the heat tape recommendation. I think this will probably work best in my situation.

Concerning the water table, I do not know where it is. We are not considered to be in a flood zone. I believe I may have poor drainage system on the exterior of my house. If you seen the amount of water coming into my sump pits during heavy rains, you would be amazed. I have posted the situation under "extreme water scenario" for any of you that would like to read it.

Thanks for all of the replies and help.

Comment

Working...
                X