Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting bathroom tile????

Cutting bathroom tile????

During some re-pipes and when I need to change out a shower valve but no rear access so use a smithy plate and make front hole bigger...I need to cut holes...or enlarge holes in bathroom tile.

1 guy showed my how to nibble it with channel locks..asscusions and plat covers jagged edges....but just dot feel right to me.

Soo I been thinking there must be some tool...way to cut nice straight pieces of bathroom tile out....how do u all do it? what do u use?

I picked up a marble disc for my Ryobi 4 1/2 inch angle grinder and a tile bit 1/8" shank for my DeWalt spiral cutout tool...looks like a Rotozip but yellow I don't have much hope for the spiral tool....me and a few guys at last company gave it a go on plywood and drywall and none of use could cut straight with it....but figured Id give it a chance to get out of the storage/junk closet.

Re: Cutting bathroom tile????

I just go with the diamond blade on my angle grinder.

Comment

And for round holes, use a carbide coated hole saw. I remove the guide bit and hold it in place with my hammer until the hole is started. The guide bit doesn't cut as well and can easily crack the surrounding tile.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What Gear Junkie said,

Its not bad once you get started, but that part has been a b*tch for me in the past.

Regards,

Comment

Boys

Make yourself a jig out of plywood.

Comment

Gopher, don't knock that DeWalt cut out tool just yet. That tool is not one you will use everyday, but when you need it, it is a lifesaver. I use mine to cut access holes in tile and fiberglass walls, and with a little practice, you can cut straight with it. When I have to make an access in a tile wall for a re-pipe job, I usually just cut along the grout lines, and take the group of tiles out in one large piece. No problems cutting straight when you do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Boys

Make yourself a jig out of plywood.
              I should do this but only remember to make one when I need it.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thank you everyone...and others who will post replys.

Navada...Ill have to give the DeWalt some time...It was one of them E-bay deals...soo me and a few guys played with it...were unimpressed... seemed to cut in a "wave" about 1/4 inch up/down from line....on dry wall. I put it in the truck today..picked up the tile bit on way home....I'll take ur advice and practice with it....give it a fair chance. Hate to see $50 sitting in the closet.

Comment

carbide sawzall blade i believe there lenox the ones for cutting cast iron. there much easier than an angle grinder
                  Mike
                  Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                  www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I use carbide coated hole saw also, I take a wood block with the same size hole drilled through it and hot glue the block to the right place. Then I can drill over the old hole and get no slippage. When your talking an 1/8" - 1/4" bigger, this works great and I won't crack a tile, just take your time with the drilling, to much force can pop the block off the wall....
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

The new diamond blades came out from lenox, they are not cheap though, they are gray and cost like 13.00 each. works great in the sawzall.

I always use a diamond blade on a grinder, never a problem, I have even put a worm drive diamond blade on a 4.5" grinder to cut clean through thick stucco. Works like a charm, but I must warn you, it wants to fly away!!
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                      X