X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faucet replacement....

Went to HD and bought a Glacier Bay tub and shower faucet set. Current Tub and shower faucet is a Kohler. Did I tell you, I am an exterior guy, siding, roofing and stuff. I'm not sure what I am looking at but would like to learn.

1st) The GB faucet comes with metal feed pipes, I am assuming I am just taking off the pieces and switching them with the current ones, right, no need to remove my entire tub/shower piece

2nd) The GB spout doesn't have anything visible for it to attach it to, it is one solid piece and the instructions aren't super clear, so I assumed it must be something simple like take off the current on and just slide it on. Well....The Kohler spout has a visible attachment apart of the spout, it required an Alan Wrench to remove it, I don't see how I can even put it on.

Thanks it for now, hope you can help.

Plumbing newbie.

RW (Atlanta)

Re: faucet replacement....

Call a Plumber, You are in over your head as this will be a total replacement.

Not trying to sound harsh, but you need to either purchase a New trim kit from kohler and take the Glacier Bay (never heard of them before) back to where you purchased it or be ready to open the wall up to replace shower valve and modify as required for tub spout.

Regards,

Comment

Although I'm not a big fan of Kohler, going from Kohler to Glacier Bay is like going from steak to hot dogs. I wouldn't put a Glacier Bay in a doghouse.

Comment

Glacier Bay is quite possibly the worst faucet made...they retail as low as 30 bucks.
        You get what you pay for.
        Sorry, but you really should look for something a little better, I'm afraid to install them, they're that frail.

Comment

CONGRATS on your purchase of 10 lbs of crap! Good luck installing it in your 5 lb bag.

Seriously you must know a local plumber. Call him/her and let them do the job for you. Like you in your job, they are trained to do this quickly and professionally.
          Last edited by RopeaGoat; 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM. Reason: OOPs

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
            Although I'm not a big fan of Kohler, going from Kohler to Glacier Bay is like going from steak to hot dogs. I wouldn't put a Glacier Bay in a doghouse.
            If I was a hot dog I don't think I would like being compared to Glacier Bay.
            Brent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
              If I was a hot dog I don't think I would like being compared to Glacier Bay.
              yeah, that is a insult to hot dogs everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by RopeaGoat View Post
                CONGRATS on your purchase of 10 lbs of crap! Good luck installing it in your 5 lb bag.

Seriously you must know a local plumber. Call him/her and let them do the job for you. Like you in your job, they are trained to do this quickly and professionally.
                That's the funniest thing I heard today.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

LOL, that was just great!! 10 lbs of crap installed in a 5 pound bag, I am gonna tell a customer that next time they give me a Rohl or a california faucet to install.

I agree with the guys, glacier bay is junk, I would never bury it in the wall.

As far as trading trim, it will never work, about the only thing you can change is going to be the spout, but the shower plate and handle will not match.

either order new kohler trim that you like and that will fit on that kohler valve, or find a plumber to open the wall or tile and install a good shower valve.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                    You've got that right! I had a kitchen faucet with a spout that pitted all over it, to the point of near leakage. About six times they promised to send a replacement. All lies. Never did receive it.
                    Hard to understand why a reputable place like Home Depot would choose to sell such junk.

Comment

Originally posted by oldub View Post
                      You've got that right! I had a kitchen faucet with a spout that pitted all over it, to the point of near leakage. About six times they promised to send a replacement. All lies. Never did receive it.
                      Hard to understand why a reputable place like Home Depot would choose to sell such junk.
                      Home Depot...reputable?

Comment

Working...
                      X