Toilet pipe leak in ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet pipe leak in ceiling

I have an old house where when the toilet is plunged, water leaks into the downstairs ceiling. After opening the ceiling up, it looks like the original builder didnt quite match up the sewer pipe & caulked or patched around the edge (where the 90 degree turn goes into the next piece of pipe) After 50 yrs it leaks slightly. My problem is that its cut through a joist & the patched section is butted up to another joist so I cannot get at it. Also the upstairs floor is tiled so I do not want to open up from there. Is there a rubber hose or equivilent that I can slide in from the toilet waste pipe to bypass this leaking area? I am guessing it is only 1-2 ft. from the upstairs floor line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Toilet pipe leak in ceiling

Yes there are pipe liners for 3-4" but the cost would be high, better to just fix it. What is the pipe made out of? As for the tile I just use my diamond blade on my hand grinder to notch it back to get enough room for a new closet flange. I have seen people use epoxy to fix leaks as well but it is just a bandaid. Again I would replace the bad section, Have a plumber look at it since you already opened up the ceiling to save money you can fix the ceiling yourself.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

After the initial toilet waste pipe, the pipe is cast iron, my problem with replaceing it, is it goes through a joist at the connection & was never lined up correctly. What would be the trade name for a 3 or 4 " pipe liner and where could I get or look at one?

Comment

This one needs a real plumber!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Pictures would maybe help us show you any easier way to do the job.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I agree, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures(stomp feet at same time).
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

if it only leaks when the toilet is plunged you probably only need to install a new wax gasket. pull the toilet off and install one. or have someone upstairs plunging and flushing the toilet and with your hand reach up to the underside of the toilet flange and see if you have any water up there.

Comment

Working...
              X