Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this correct?

Here is what I would do.
    Cut the run to your water closet back about 1.5’ or more. Add a 3 X 2 Y rolled up so that the branch comes off at 45 deg. from horizontal (if possible). Run your 2” vent using fittings no greater than long sweep 90’s (use 45, 22 etc.). When your 2” vent comes through the floor add a 2” test tee (dandy clean out or whatever your region calls it), then reduce to 1-1/2” and tie into the existing vent line.
    Now finish the run to the water closet with a 4 X 3 90. The 4” will run vertical well above (6”) the finish floor level.
    If you need to have the drains tested under air or head you may need more clean-outs to accomplish that.

Mike

Comment

Suggestion ! Get a master Plumbers License before You Marry, This Love of Your Life !

Go Pats
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Maybe a typo Sean You said " same 1 1/2" vent for toilet " toilets are 2" vent size !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

can't use vent 90's or short sweeps below flood level, only drain fittings, the toilet riser looks like it is alot further then 13" from the studs, it kinda looks like it is in the middle of the floor.

I believe at this point a master plumber should go in and run the pipe, you have it all demo'ed, just take the PVC out so he does not know you tried it first.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks for everything. Ended up having a friend from the Firehouse who is a plumber come over and give me a little help. Essentially we ended up wet venting the toilet through the lavy line. Seems to be what the fellows here were trying to tell me to do!! It does look in the picture like it is farther than 13" from the existing studs, it is. The framing in the background is for the stairs and I am adding a wall in front of them to account for wiring and supply plumbing for the bathroom.

Thanks Again,
            Sean

Comment

If nobody ever gets anything else through their heads it should be that you can not use a heel outlet 90 under a toilet. This damn fitting gets more guys in trouble than any other. For some reason when guys look at it they don't see it for what it is and that's a 3 x 2 x 3 sanitary tee. You can call it whatever you want but it's a sanitary tee. And as we all know, you can't waste into a horizontal sanitary tee. Yes I know it would be a sweeter world full of hope and promiss if we could only make this one exception. But we can not, so get over it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                And as we all know, you can't waste into a horizontal sanitary tee.
                Why not? I know you can't have a sanitary tee on it's back but the other way?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Nice correction. I think he just mis spoke though.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I did'nt say that. If you install it vertically you can indeed waste into the run, in fact it is preferred over using a wye because using a wye can cause the trap arm level to drop below the wye inlet causing siphonage. What I am saying is that the only way a sanitary tee can be installed horizontally (on its back) is if the run is used as a "DRY" vent stack. No waste can enter the run. The problem with the heel out 90 is that installed on it's back, beneath a toilet with the 2" used for either wase or vent, when the toilet flushes, some of the soilds will splash back twards and into the 2". This fitting used this way does not properly direct the flow of waste away from the fixture served. Now if you want to ask me if I think it will ever cause a problem. If the 2" heel outlet is used for a vent, yes it probably will plug up in time. If the 2" recieves waste, say from a lav or shower, I doubt it would ever cause a problem. However just because a thing may work, does'nt make it right. All of us have seen some of the sloppiest, most appalling plumbing imaginable and yet somehow, most of the time it worked. Plumbing is a skill and an art form that depends on solid fundementals.
                    sigpic

Comment

All I know is my eyes hurt alot less seeing the umpteen feet of flat vent removed from the second diagram parallel to the 2" shower/lav drain.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I did'nt say that. If you install it vertically you can indeed waste into the run, in fact it is preferred over using a wye because using a wye can cause the trap arm level to drop below the wye inlet causing siphonage. What I am saying is that the only way a sanitary tee can be installed horizontally (on its back) is if the run is used as a "DRY" vent stack. No waste can enter the run. The problem with the heel out 90 is that installed on it's back, beneath a toilet with the 2" used for either wase or vent, when the toilet flushes, some of the soilds will splash back twards and into the 2". This fitting used this way does not properly direct the flow of waste away from the fixture served. Now if you want to ask me if I think it will ever cause a problem. If the 2" heel outlet is used for a vent, yes it probably will plug up in time. If the 2" recieves waste, say from a lav or shower, I doubt it would ever cause a problem. However just because a thing may work, does'nt make it right. All of us have seen some of the sloppiest, most appalling plumbing imaginable and yet somehow, most of the time it worked. Plumbing is a skill and an art form that depends on solid fundementals.
                        Excellent post and explanation

Comment

Working...
                        X