Help with SSP-1000 sump pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with SSP-1000 sump pump

I installed the SSP-1000 about 5-6 weeks ago and have been very disappointed with this unit. For those not familiar it is a 1hp with a solid state "watersense" switch.

The question I have has been posted by others but the solution was sent to them privately.

The pump runs probably 4-5 sec longer than it really should which creates a loud "gurgling" noise throughout the house. I have spoken to a tech @ Ridgid about this and he assured me the sensor would properly learn the amount of time to run.
    Well, I made sure the sensor was away from the water inlet so no water is splashing on it and its clean. At first it was actually doing OK but now it is running way too long.

How important is it to have the check valve coming right out of the unit? Mine is about 16 inches above to keep the fittings out of the water.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this annoying problem or is this a fault of the model?

Re: Help with SSP-1000 sump pump

Read my response on this pump.

Since the unit overpumps past its cycle, better have a 3/16" hole angled down in the pit between the pump discharge and the check valve.

Otherwise you'll find out that the pump will air lock because there's a pocket of air in the impeller chamber giving the pump the inability to push the check valve open.

The opening in the discharge pipe eliminates this possibility by flooding the chamber so momentum of water willl allow check valve operation without error.

See below for my response involving personal experience.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...light=SSP-1000
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks. I will check it out.

However, I already have the proper size hole the right height above the unit to help avoid air lock.

Comment

Your response in the other forum doesn't offer a solution. Just says not to use the pumps. Little late for me on that.

Also, I am still hoping for a response to my check valve question.

Comment

Originally posted by CCallahan View Post
          Your response in the other forum doesn't offer a solution. Just says not to use the pumps. Little late for me on that.

Also, I am still hoping for a response to my check valve question.
          I've installed check valves to within 10" of the pump when dealing with scenarios involving battery backup sump pumps.

Even though they are stainless steel clamps, the worm gear itself isn't stainless which is intentional on all counts; we surely couldn't have something last forever, be used countless times. Pffftt.

In my opinion it isn't a little late for that; return the pump; that lowering of the check valve isn't the problem. It's the sensitivity and the programming of that sensor that's causing the problem.

I bet the last pump you had in your pit didn't have this issue....
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I just installed the SSP-1000 and am having the same exact problem as well. Nothing I've done has helped to change it either. I'm very disappointed. Do you think Home Depot will take it back or do I have to return it to the manufacturer?

Comment

Great....I'll try to return it to Home Depot. I doubt they will take it since its already been installed.

Whats bad is I only got that pump as a replacement because their store was out of the one I had a replacement warranty for.

Comment

I just came back from returning the one that I installed. I told them exactly what was wrong with it. They didn't give me any hassle at all.

Give it a shot - it's worth it. The new one I just installed is so incredibly quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by ellie View Post
                  I just came back from returning the one that I installed. I told them exactly what was wrong with it. They didn't give me any hassle at all.

Give it a shot - it's worth it. The new one I just installed is so incredibly quiet.

Is it a replacement of the same kind/model number?

To CCallahan,

That's where they win and we lose. They got us because we want best price, they have us in a scenario where the prudent spender will not buy 2 in case the other one fails and has to go into a warranty situation.

All in all the objective is accomplished; make money.

Comment

So true.....

It was a replacement for a Flowmaster unit I had before. What's bad is I haven't been able to get one of those to last even a year. I was on my second one when the switch started to malfunction after about 7 months. But I figured with the in-store warranty I would continue to just take it back and get a new one. With the Ridgid, I lose that option.

Comment

Look at a Zoller #57 cast iron sump pump as a replacement. If you need higher flow rates then check out the #98 but not the #BN98. Please let's keep it simple.

Zoller 50 series ( http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcopdfdocs/FM0493.pdf )

Zoller 98 series ( http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcopdfdocs/FM0973.pdf )

Like it or not Flowmaster and Ridgid sump pumps are throw away products. Next time buy quality and get rid of the (*&^%$#@!
                      Last edited by Woussko; 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                        Is it a replacement of the same kind/model number?
                        No, it's a different brand. Sorry, I don't know what it is right now (I'm at work). I bought it from a local plumbing supply company. I asked for the plumber's recommendations (there were quite a few plumbers hanging out there! great resource... )

Comment

I bought one of these last year as well and had to return it as I couldn't stand the constant running and gurgling as it cleared the pit down to it's intakes. I returned it after one week and got a 1/2 HP Ridgid model instead. It seems to be working fine but I am changing it over after having done a lot of research and deciding to buy a Zoeller model 98 paired with a Basement Watchdog 'Big Dog' on separate 1.5 inch discharge pipes. I have flooded twice in my basement and I don't want it happening again.

Comment

My SSP-1000 has been in place for 1.5 years now. I noticed longer and longer cycle times lately with run on after the pit was emptied. I pulled it out and cleaned off a large accumulation of rust from the sensor bar. Once back in it still had run on time but not as long. It was close to the drain tile so I moved it to get the sensor away and clear in front. It's a lot better now with
                            shorter cycles and little run on. I bought this when my SP-500 failed. You can't have a single pump, a spare is a good investment and is there when you need it.

Comment

SSP-1000 thru bolts rust thru in less than one year of normal use in basement sump pits. Rigid claims no knowledge of this problem and offers no retrofit to upgrade to higher grade stainless. BEWARE.

Comment

Working...
                              X