cleaning solder droppings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning solder droppings

anyone have any tips on removing solder droppings from the panted cases of hot water boilers. most of it easily scratches off using fingernails, but there must be a better way to do this without harning the painted surface the droppings are adhered to. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: cleaning solder droppings

of course the issue is not to get solder on the tank in the first place. i always use a damp rag under the joints i'm soldering to prevent what you have.

i would try a sharp putty knife or scratch awl and see if you can pick it off. it will and has already damaged the painted finish.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

i use the flat end of my wood carpenter pencil and push it right off with no scratches
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Use the cover to your role of teflon tape. Just place it on top and move it back and forth.

Comment

also what works is a scrap piece of carpet, no splashes of solder and it catches flux too. Removeing the solder shrapnel. use anything that isnt abrasive or sharp like above stated
          if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

We always use drop cloths to cover mechanical equipment during the installation.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
              also what works is a scrap piece of carpet, no splashes of solder and it catches flux too. Removeing the solder shrapnel. use anything that isnt abrasive or sharp like above stated
              That's a good one,I'm going to try it on the next one.

Comment

i am happy to report that the painted cases of the boiler with the solder spashes has not been permenantly damaged. and the winner of the best removal suggestion is... hvac hawk. the flat end of a carpenters pencil works very well. next time, in addition to protecting horizontal surfaces, vertical surfaces will be similarly protected.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I made the mistake of not protecting walls on a couple of occassions thank goodness it only costed me 30 extra minutes of cleanup.Can't imagine having to explain to a client that I need to know their custom color paint number.

Comment

Air chisel ,works for me
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Air chisel ,works for me
                      Sounds good,I'll try it next time I have to remove solder from a gold leaf mural

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                        i am happy to report that the painted cases of the boiler with the solder spashes has not been permenantly damaged. and the winner of the best removal suggestion is... hvac hawk. the flat end of a carpenters pencil works very well. next time, in addition to protecting horizontal surfaces, vertical surfaces will be similarly protected.
                        thank you
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

One more thing,Dirty. I pin stripe flames on the whole jacket with My air chisel,distracts the globes of solder!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            One more thing,Dirty. I pin stripe flames on the whole jacket with My air chisel,distracts the globes of solder!

Comment

Get 5 pounds of axle grease and spread it about an 1" thick across the surface you're soldering above on.

The solder will gently fall down onto the grease, burn a little into it but never make it to the painted surface.

Apply grease to hair for that man shine your wife enjoys.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X