Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement layout & venting

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
    The vent for the the ejector MUST be tied in above flood level rim to a dry vent. In some jurisdictions, if you have a sewage ejector in a residence, the inspector may make you independently vent the sump. Also, the min size of the vent is 2", or one size smaller than the largest inlet, which ever is greater to ma max of 4"

I'm not saying Pydo was wrong, I'm just trying to claify his post. Bigpipe: I understand your post, it makes sense as a code requirement. But Pydo seems to indicate that the vent should be tied into a waste pipe 5' upstreem from the sewage ejector discharge pipe. Is that legal under your code? Under the UPC that would be wrong on numerous levels.
    the dog

Comment

I apprecaite everyone's thoughts....I'm looking into venting the ejector 6" above my drain upstairs...if I can't, I'm going to tie it into an old vent that isn't used anymore...

Better safe than sorry.

Besides the ejector issue, how does the drainage plan look to the ejector?

Comment

This is the simplest, easiest and cheapest way to configure your DWV and still meet minimum NPC requirements.
        Last edited by Hondahead; 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM. Reason: I f*%ked up :)
        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
          I'm not saying Pydo was wrong, I'm just trying to claify his post. Bigpipe: I understand your post, it makes sense as a code requirement. But Pydo seems to indicate that the vent should be tied into a waste pipe 5' upstreem from the sewage ejector discharge pipe. Is that legal under your code? Under the UPC that would be wrong on numerous levels.
          That's what I see when I read his post, and that's not legal under the Canadian Building code. They're pretty picky here about sumps, like I said in my post some inspectors don't even want it tied to another dry vent. Pydo seems to be from Michigan though, so I'm not sure which code book he's quoting here
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Hey Honda,
            How are you guys doing up there with the new code? I know there aren't a ton of changes but the code comes into effect March 1, and they city is running a course for any plumbers who want a refresher.

Comment

We've been working under the new code since Sept. but they really just started enforcing it in Jan. Overall I think the changes are good. Its funny because the new code is very similar to the code from 20 years ago.

What I like about the new code
              -minimum 2" for washer
              -minimum 4" vent terminals
              -minimum 2" wet vent for wc

What I don't like
              -wc must be lowest connected fixture in wet vented group
              -wet vented portion can not be reduced in size

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                We've been working under the new code since Sept. but they really just started enforcing it in Jan. Overall I think the changes are good. Its funny because the new code is very similar to the code from 20 years ago.

-minimum 2" for washer

What I don't like
                You guys got it sooo good up there.You have no Idea how much easier and faster my cast would
                go up if I could put your system in down here.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  You guys got it sooo good up there.
                  Maybe, but have you ever stacked cast at -30 ? What part would make your job "much easier and faster"? The horizontal wet vents? I though I read on another thread the Cali was starting to accept horizontal wet vents?

Comment

-minimum 2" for washer

What I don't like
                    Agreed, the 2" min. wet vent has always been a no brainer for us, that's how I've always done it. same goes for 4" vent term. What I don't like is the 1200mm Fixture outlet on kitchen sinks. Some guys are using this to get around island venting.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                      What I don't like is the 1200mm Fixture outlet on kitchen sinks. Some guys are using this to get around island venting.
                      Alberta Municipal Affairs doesn't like it either. If guys are doing it here then they need to check out the Standatas & Amendments of the 05 code.

http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/cp_index.cfm

Sentence 2.4.8.2. 1), as amended for Alberta, states that the developed length of the fixture outlet pipes shall not exceed 900 mm (36 inches).

Quote: "The intent of the code is for traps to be located in the same room as near the fixture as practicable and to be readily accessible for the owners to maintain their drainage systems without the removal of ceiling or other obstacles. In addition, the developed length of a fixture outlet piping should be as short as practicable in order to minimize the inside fouling surface so that food or other organic matter will not create any odour problems."

Comment

wow nice pull

Comment

Maybe, but have you ever stacked cast at -30 ? What part would make your job "much easier and faster"? The horizontal wet vents? I though I read on another thread the Cali was starting to accept horizontal wet vents?
                          Rick said something about it being approved this year.Need to look into it.Can't say I've worked in anything colder than +25,gotta try working in something colder,see what all the raves about.Is it any different than snowboarding in cold weather,got some cold gear in the closet.

Just teasing you guys,I'm sure we all earn our way differently

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys!

I've got one more question:

I'm now deciding what I should run. Would ABS be ok? I'm going to be cementing over it when done and I just want to make sure it will take the pressure, etc. If I run ABS it will solve the problem of having to join PVC to ABS up the wall later on...

Do most do it this way or do they run PVC and use special glue to tie it into the ABS?

- Jon

Comment

Because of the 2005 National Plumbing code, the respective provincial plumbing codes are all viritually identical. How it works in Canada is every 5-10 years they develop a new National plumbing code and then 1-3 years after the new National code comes out, the Provinces will adopt it as their new code with Provincial amendments to suit the Provinces conditions/preferences. Well the 2005 National code is so good and all encompassing (if that makes sense) that it almost eliminates the need for Provincial codes, but Provinces are still developiong their own code books with the odd small difference/change, etc. But for all intensive purposes you could have just a National code book in your van and be fine.

You need to phone the authority having jursidiction (local plumbing inspector) to ask them if using Cell Core ABS is ok. It SHOULD be ok. We use them in our houses out here in VAncouver. Make sure it has the proper CSA or other approvals stamped on top of it. Also, if you install it it's a good idea (and as per code) to install it with the lettering on the pipe so it's facing up and read-able.
                              The only time you might want to opt for PVC or Solid Core ABS is if you are running drainage under a driveway or somewhere where signfiicant weight can crush it (or if the AHJ says so).

As for the basement layout - You can wet vent the shower and the water closet through the lavatory (keep it all 2" right up to your 2" LCO on your lavatory below your trap tee) and just send your clothes washer up on it's own but you can tie it into the wet vent in the floor if you want (but it will not be part of the wet vented system) and as long as your toilet is the most downstream connected fixutre in a wet vented system. I believe that there is this thing called the "suds pressure zone" that you might want to look into, which states that at the bottom of a clothes washer stack or fixture drain, you have to go so many feet (I think it's 5 feet horizontally) before you can connect to another line forming a branch due to built up suds potentially (sounds rediculous yes I know). I'd have to go get my code book to look but it's Sunday morning and I"m lazy.

You can run an 1 1/2" vent off of the Lavatory sanitary tee and that will be enough as a dry vent to vent your wet vented system. Run 1 1/2" off of the clothes washer and tie those together and contine up to the next floor until you can tie into another vent.

As for your "ejector" (sump pump?), this needs it's own seperate vent as well that you can tie into the vents mentioned above after a bit of vertical travel (which I think is in the code book too but I'd have to look it up).

Don't forget the trap underground for your shower and the line clean out on your lavatory and your lav once they come out of the ground.

Comment

there is No glue that will solvent weld abs to pvc. There are some so called abs\pvc glues on the market but they all depend on the glue itself for the strength of the joint and are therefore not allowed by either the IPC or the UPC. The correct way to join these dissimilar products is either by use of a male to female threaded connection or the proper use of a fernco coupling. Remember that once properly cleaned, primed and glued a PVC joint is for all intent and purpose one piece of pipe. The choice of abs or pvc is up to you. ABS never reall caught on in the north east but in other parts of the country it is very popular. both products perform well if properly prepared and installed.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X