Basement layout & venting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement layout & venting

IN the province of BC, it says in our code book that you can use ABS to PVC transition glue as long as it meets a certain standard (listed in your code book) and is only used in drainage systems (connecting an ABS to a PVC drainage system or vice versa)but generally speaking to the best of my knowledge all of the plumbing inspectors in the areas I work have a sort of unwritten rule that you are allowed one PVC to ABS transition PER job site. Apparently several years ago some hack show plumber had a bunch of sticks of ABS and some sticks of PVC and got a plumbing job on a big house. He decided this was going to be his clean up inventory job and he had transitions EVERYWHERE and it turned into an absolute hack show of leaks, problems, and just ugly arse workmanship. Since this special individuals reckoning day, it's now 1 transition PER SITE.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Scott K.

Your posts are very well written and informative.

I use the transition glue as it is approved in my jurisdiction.And without lying I can say I have not had any leaks on any of my tested and inspected transition joints.

LET-ER' RIP CODE QOUTERS.

Adam

Comment

All new housing developments here have PVC building sewers. We use all ABS building drains so only 1 transition. There is one company out here that does all their above ground DWV in ABS and ground work in PVC, lots of transition joints, no 1 transition per site rule here.
        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
          All new housing developments here have PVC building sewers. We use all ABS building drains so only 1 transition. There is one company out here that does all their above ground DWV in ABS and ground work in PVC, lots of transition joints, no 1 transition per site rule here.
          Why the heck would they do that instead of just all PVC??

Comment

Not sure duck. but I do know that both the IPC and the UPC are very specific on the proper transition of abs to pvc and vice versa. In no case can glue be used to join these dissimilar products. As I said before, a properly made glue joint chemically "Welds" the pipe and fitting together. Gluing abs to pvc does not. In time the glue Will Fail and the joint Will Leak. If thier local inspectors allow this connection then they need further education on solvent welding. Even if my local inspectors allowed us to make such a connection, there is no way in hell that I would.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Why the heck would they do that instead of just all PVC??
              Cost
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

further education on solvent welding

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/54...scription.html
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

back to reply #24 the 1200mm to avoid a island vent.... in calgary we can use cheater vents now on the island sink.... dunno if its a good thing or a bad thing but i guess it makes the lazy rezy guys happier...... sorry bout the rezy joke, all in fun
                  if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Not sure duck. but I do know that both the IPC and the UPC are very specific on the proper transition of abs to pvc and vice versa. In no case can glue be used to join these dissimilar products. As I said before, a properly made glue joint chemically "Welds" the pipe and fitting together. Gluing abs to pvc does not. In time the glue Will Fail and the joint Will Leak. If thier local inspectors allow this connection then they need further education on solvent welding. Even if my local inspectors allowed us to make such a connection, there is no way in hell that I would.
                    I am not going to argue on the UPC Requirements as I have not researched in my 2006 UPC and I trust your interpretation at this point.I will be looking into it today.

I have however used it on many locations for years as I contacted my jurisdictions beforehand and continued forward.

These are on waste systems new custom homes that I designed,drew,submited for approval to the local jurisdictions,installed and had inspected by more inspectors than you can imagine.At least 30 in 10 different jurisdictions.

All of these homes have a ten year warranty on workmanship required by the state.

Your telling me you think my SH!T is going to leak.I don't think so.I would have heard about it.

We are all using it out here.HUNDREDS of contractors in many different cities.What kind of spit are you trying to get by with over there.

The only thing I can think of would be the lower temperature causing a different contraction rate between the two materials.

Sorry,Master plumber.

This subject has taught me something about the glue I'm currently using.It has been discussed recently before.Utah had me looking into it.I thank this forum for its views and opinions.But sometimes I have to disagree on some things.

Adam

Comment

Look, if you feel comfortable with it than by all means go for it. All I'm saying is that the two plumbing codes IPC and UPC will not allow the use of glue to join ABS and PVC. If you want to argue with the code than again that's your option also. If you are trying to convince me and many others that the use of glue is ok you're barking up the wrong tree. I have seen way too many leaking pvc\abs joints over the last 30 years. I've held a master plumbers license for thirty four years now. Been on the state plumbing board twice. Been on the plumbing board code committee for 12 years. Have a masters in education and business and at this point I think I've said about all I can on the glue subject. There's no point in arguing with you over this as you have decided that your opinion is far and away better than anything the code books have to say. So again good luck to you and hopefully you will avoid a nasty law suit.
                      sigpic

Comment

Adam which glue are you using? I'm sure there is a glue out there that does a pretty good job of joining ABS to PVC. Mostly what I see is some homeowners try to use heavy duty PVC glue on these joints and they fail miserably. The code does clearly state that an adapter is needed between these two plastics.

Comment

http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/...on+Green+.html

I know what the code says but realistically speaking; if a company like Oatey is willing to put there name on the line with a product like this, how bad could it be? Is it possible this product is new enough where it's use isn't in the codebooks?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear Junkie, our opinions aside, if the freekin Pope put his name on it the code still would'nt approve of it's use. This thread is truely frustrating. Requardless of any of our opininions here the codes are very very specific. Can any one of us take the liability of deciding what parts of the code we want to adhere to and what parts we don't. And what it all comes down to is liability. If god forbid, something goes wrong and the lawyers are called in and we have done something not to code, how do you think the judge will rule? The code book is our bible, it guarrantees that if we do the work as specified we cannot be held liable. Just because an inspector overlooks or decides to pass sub code work does not make it right and it will not hold up in a court of law.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Adam which glue are you using? I'm sure there is a glue out there that does a pretty good job of joining ABS to PVC. Mostly what I see is some homeowners try to use heavy duty PVC glue on these joints and they fail miserably. The code does clearly state that an adapter is needed between these two plastics.
                              Oatey #30925 ABS to PVC green cement.The inspectors want to see the green on the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                Gear Junkie, our opinions aside, if the freekin Pope put his name on it the code still would'nt approve of it's use. This thread is truely frustrating. Requardless of any of our opininions here the codes are very very specific. Can any one of us take the liability of deciding what parts of the code we want to adhere to and what parts we don't. And what it all comes down to is liability. If god forbid, something goes wrong and the lawyers are called in and we have done something not to code, how do you think the judge will rule? The code book is our bible, it guarrantees that if we do the work as specified we cannot be held liable. Just because an inspector overlooks or decides to pass sub code work does not make it right and it will not hold up in a court of law.
                                I agree with you 100% and thanks for being part of this forum. Sometimes we need a balance.
                                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X