Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement layout & venting

I'm installing a bathroom in my basement and had a couple questions:

First though, it's a basement install where the sewer comes in half way up the wall. I plan on using an ejector pump that will be vented into my exisiting stack. I know that this is a no-no but there is only one drain that dumps into the stack above this (upstairs bathroom lav). I know it may not be code, but is it ok to run it like this (given that I would need major renovations to run a new vent to the roof)?

As for the basement, I plan on hooking in a washer, lav, shower & toilet. I've basically run 4" pipe off the ejector unit to a 4" tee. Off the tee is the toilet, while the main line continues to a 3" run then down to a 2" run and from there the shower connects using a 2" 'Y'. Then it goes to another 'Y' that runs to the lavatory and to the washer. The lav and washer will each have clean outs where they break the floor along with Studor vents off of each.

I'm curious if the toilet and shower will be ok to wet vent from both the washer and the lav? Will 2 Studor vents be enough to vent all of this or should I also vent the toilet off the 4" run to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've included a rough sketch of the plan.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Basement layout & venting

1st off, No it's not code, or a good idea to vent the ejection pump like you want. The vent needs to run to a point 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture. In this case you could tie in to the stack but only 6" above the second floor lav rim level. Next the tee under the toilet needs to be a wye fitting. You have no vent for the bathroom group, and venting the ejector does not count. You could probably wet vent the bathroom group, but not the washer connection, which needs to be 2" (drain) and have it's own vent. (same as ejector pump) I know this all seems like a pain in the a, but that's the right way to do it.
    sigpic

Comment

Is the inspector going to let use AAV's to vent this?? You should know in advance this is never the best way to do things, and the fixtures may not drain very well. Also you will probably get a gurgling sound.

As far as your venting layout, to correctly vent the toilet & shower, your wet vent(lav drain) should come off in between the toilet & shower, not after it. Not sure what they let you get away with in Ontario though, I'm in AB.

Again not sure how it works in your jurisdiction, but where I am you can't tie in our ejector pump vent into a plumbing stack, however in London they may allow you to run an independent vent and stick out your side wall above grade.
      Another thing you should change is the TY going to your toilet off of your main branch, this should be a Y and 45

I hope you are pulling a permit on this job, that way your inspector can advise you on your local code
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

As far as I know AAV are not acceptable in Ontario. Maybe Plumber Jay could confirm this? The ejector pit needs to be vented independently. You really should run proper vents for your bsmt fixtures.The maximum fixture unit load on a 2" wet vent is 5 FU. Your proposed drawing exceeds that. You have 7.5 FU on the 2" wet vent. Your layout needs to be re-configured.
        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Thanks for the help...

I've revised the plan with what I've got from all of you and a few other sources...

I would vent the toilet, lav and washer together and loop into an old vent I have on the other side of my house. There would be some horizontally run pipe to get to it but it would be on a slight angle to provide drainage...

As for the ejector unit, I will try to vent it the 6" above my upstairs lav.

Could I have some input on the new plan? I've tried to keep stuff grouped so I won't have to chew too much concrete up.

Thanks again!
          Attached Files

Comment

you could eliminate one vent, you could continuous vent your laundry and your basin, still in 2 inch bout you can just stub up once and take off 2 tys for your basin and laundry stand pipe trsp arms. Bustin concrete, what a fun time that will be. happy hammering!!!!
            if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

If i get you right (row) you mean I don't really need the vent for the toilet and it can wet vent through the lav and washer?

Comment

I've revised the plan a little further.

Everything is similar except instead of running 2 lines in the floor (to lav and washer) i've now got one line that runs to the shower that is 3" to handle more flow. That wet vents to the lav which vents into a vent pipe. The washer ties into the lav's drain but is vented independently. The lav and washer will each have P-traps that hook into the 2" drain. The vents will tie into the toilet vent and will then be vented to the roof via an old vent I can run it to.

Does this sound ok? will the shower wet-vent ok? Do I really need the vent on the toilet or would it be ok to wet-vent it to the lave since the majority of the run is now 3"?

Once again, any opinons and thoughts are welcome!
                Attached Files

Comment

I've attached how I pictured the wall with the shower, lav & washer. I would come out of the ground with a long sweeping tee that would have a clean out cap on the top of it (just in case)...

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think you guys are all crazy, DO NOT VENT THE TOILET like you show in the pic, vent the washer and sink as planned, run 3" all the way to washing machine stack, this will allow for the build up of suds, and studdor vents are fine, but you must vent the pit, how you mentioned will work, what i do is find the 3" line your gonna tie the discharge in and about 5ft UPSTREAM tie the vent in with a 3x2 t on it's back. I could fax you a drawing if needed, but you have the right idea, also according to drawing i would not tie the shower in that close to stack.

Comment

Originally posted by pydoplumbing View Post
                      I think you guys are all crazy, DO NOT VENT THE TOILET like you show in the pic, vent the washer and sink as planned, run 3" all the way to washing machine stack, this will allow for the build up of suds, and studdor vents are fine, but you must vent the pit, how you mentioned will work, what i do is find the 3" line your gonna tie the discharge in and about 5ft UPSTREAM tie the vent in with a 3x2 t on it's back. I could fax you a drawing if needed, but you have the right idea, also according to drawing i would not tie the shower in that close to stack.

I've stayed out of this because I don't know anything about Canadian plumbing codes. But, are you saying that you tie-in the sump pit vent into the overhead waste line? Are you saying this is legal in your jurisdiction?
                      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                        I've stayed out of this because I don't know anything about Canadian plumbing codes.
                        I think I'll take that que and observe.

Comment

Hey, I'd rather have people comment so I know what I should be listening to! Please put in your two cents!

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                            I've stayed out of this because I don't know anything about Canadian plumbing codes. But, are you saying that you tie-in the sump pit vent into the overhead waste line? Are you saying this is legal in your jurisdiction?
                            The vent for the the ejector MUST be tied in above flood level rim to a dry vent. In some jurisdictions, if you have a sewage ejector in a residence, the inspector may make you independently vent the sump. Also, the min size of the vent is 2", or one size smaller than the largest inlet, which ever is greater to ma max of 4"
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by jonstar View Post
                              Hey, I'd rather have people comment so I know what I should be listening to! Please put in your two cents!
                              There are countless reasons that would be a mistake.
                              For starters, the weather in Canada is MUCH colder than most area's...codes on drainage/venting are different.
                              If you get advice to install a 2" vent through the roof you could eliminate it's purpose, come mid January when frost closes it up.
                              Also, as I recall, drains on outside walls are forbidden in some area's because it gets cold enough for drainage to freeze and close drains.
                              Be careful, what might be taboo in one area can be required in another.

Comment

Working...
                              X