X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent PRV advice needed...

My in-laws are returning from several months in Houston for cancer treatments. We were getting their house ready for them to come home to. My FIL turned off the water at the street and turned off the water heater. I turned the water back on at the street and relit the pilot, turned on the heater. All seemed fine.

A short time later, my SIL who was still at the house called and said that water was spraying out at the "gold thingy" which I knew to be the PRV. I told her how to turn off the supply inside, which she did and it all stopped.

My question is now what I should do tomorrow. I've not been back to the house today as they are about 1 hour away and we're going over tomorrow anyway.

What could have gone wrong sitting idle for several (4-5 months)? Could it be a washer dried out? Could the whole PRV gone bad? What's the best solve for this or things to look out for when I get there tomorrow?

TIA!
    Kevin

Re: Urgent PRV advice needed...

VERY VERY CAREFULLY " DO NOT TURN ANY LIGHTS OR ELECTRIC ON IN THE HOUSE "

TURN THE BATHTUB HOT WATER ON THEN TURN THE WATER ON FROM OUT SIDE THE HOUSE ! ! !
    YOU HAVE HYDROGEN GAS BUILT UP IN THE TOP OF YOUR WATER HEATER THATS CAUSING THE T & P VALVE TO BLOW WHEN THE WATER IS ON YOU NEED TO LET THIS RUN
    FOR ABOUT 5 MIN'S OR SO TO CLEAR OUT OF
    SYSTEM, BEFORE YOU GO BACK INSIDE

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

He said PRV, Pressure Reducing Valve, not TPRV, Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Jerry ,I believe He's talking about the pressure reducing valve,not the t+p
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thats assuming peiklk knows the difference Still sound advice, better safe than sorry
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            He said PRV, Pressure Reducing Valve, not TPRV, Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve.
            Yes yes yes.

I know the difference

Comment

Could of been a surge in the lines from either hydrant cleaning, nearby fire where human life was involved

and they cranked that hydrant wide open, fast and furious.

Replace the PRV and it's a done deal. Kapish!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                Could of been a surge in the lines from either hydrant cleaning, nearby fire where human life was involved

and they cranked that hydrant wide open, fast and furious.

Replace the PRV and it's a done deal. Kapish!
                But if the water was OFF at the street, how would a surge have hit the PRV?

Comment

Who cares how it went bad? Replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                    Who cares how it went bad? Replace it.
                    OK... well the question originally was "IS IT BAD"

Comment

Originally posted by peiklk View Post
                      But if the water was OFF at the street, how would a surge have hit the PRV?

Because if it was old, had constant pressure against it for years.....they can sometimes fail, especially if it is a Wilkins PRV.

They all fail in due time, could of been right at the point when the water was turned on.

We'll never know but this is a simple fix.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

1 of 2 things. either the water was turned on very fast creating a water hammer affect, rupturing the diaphram. or the regulator has relaxed and the rubber components dried up causing the water to get around the o-rings or diaphram.

it was a wise choice shutting off the heater and water for the 4 month period, unfortunatly it most likely caused the failure by this action.

if it's any consalation, a regulator last a couple of years to many, many years.

replace it and set the pressure to approx. 65# and you'll be good to go.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

The Temperature+Pressure relief valve on the water heater is leaking.

Check the house pressure after the pressure reducing valve(home depot sells garden hose pressure guage).Anything over 85LBS replace PRV.

T+P's are designed to activate at 150LBS.So if your house pressure is less than the drastic overpressure of 150,which would be addressed immediately,replace the T+P.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            1 of 2 things. either the water was turned on very fast creating a water hammer affect, rupturing the diaphram. or the regulator has relaxed and the rubber components dried up causing the water to get around the o-rings or diaphram.

it was a wise choice shutting off the heater and water for the 4 month period, unfortunatly it most likely caused the failure by this action.

if it's any consalation, a regulator last a couple of years to many, many years.

replace it and set the pressure to approx. 65# and you'll be good to go.

rick.

Yeah, I just turned the water on at the street pretty fast. My bad.

Ok... so I will replace it and let you all know.

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah , it's bad . Replace the PRV and put in a 1/4 turn main line ball valve cut off valve ,,,, Makes nice ,nice job !!

Comment

Working...
                              X