water heater with recirc retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water heater with recirc retrofit

I've not seen the copper fail yet only the platic and rubber seals.I havn't seen how the stainless seals.Am I wrong to think it is a rubber washer as well.I was looking at them recently.Curious as to their price versus volume versus reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I've not seen the copper fail yet only the platic and rubber seals.I havn't seen how the stainless seals.Am I wrong to think it is a rubber washer as well.I was looking at them recently.Curious as to their price versus volume versus reliability.

I purchased 4 stainless water heater supplies, I installed all 4, all 4 leaked the little black washer is supposed to seal, I used dope and everything, the only thing that worked was not using them.

Copper flex or hard pipe is best in my mind. I just have not had luck with the stainless water heater supplies, either new, or ones that have been installed for awhile.

Sure, copper gets old, but they last longer then other things on the market.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

assuming domestic water is plumbed in 3/4 and 1/2" type L copper, will a recirc. system like the Watts or Grundfos reduce the useful life of the copper water lines? i am inches away from installing the Watts system.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          assuming domestic water is plumbed in 3/4 and 1/2" type L copper, will a recirc. system like the Watts or Grundfos reduce the useful life of the copper water lines? i am inches away from installing the Watts system.

Traditionally loops were run in 1/2, and I repair them monthly, I use type L and 3/4, whatever half I have in the loop, I replace with 3/4.

The system has to be sized right, if you get a pump that pumps to much, to fast, and the pipe is to small, of course you will have problems.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

How often is it going to be activated,for what periods.
            Another reason that these looping systems we have been puuting in for years have been burning out the copper is because years ago a lot of people did not bother putting thermostats or timers on their pumps.They just ran them 24hrs a day.Yours will be on a timer?A few hours a day?

I don't see a problem.

Comment

these are small pumps and 15 minute timer segments.

i would shut off at night time and then turn on and off in 15 minute increments at the time of day you're home. this not only saves power/ gas, but the wear and tear on the pipe.

the biggest issue was too large a pump, running 24 hours a day, not reaming and undersizing the copper return.

i doubt this small pump will wear out your copper any time soon.

i've put in quite few of these and so far, so good.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

rick and drtyhands...thanks for the replies. i had intended to leave it powered continuously, but now i'll attempt to tailor operation to household activity. got my watts system @ HD for net $149 and it should be installed by this weekend. your helpful comments are sincerely appreciated.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  these are small pumps and 15 minute timer segments.

i would shut off at night time and then turn on and off in 15 minute increments at the time of day you're home. this not only saves power/ gas, but the wear and tear on the pipe.

the biggest issue was too large a pump, running 24 hours a day, not reaming and undersizing the copper return.

i doubt this small pump will wear out your copper any time soon.

i've put in quite few of these and so far, so good.Everyone I know has ran 3/4 since the eighties.

rick.
                  Rick,you have no idea how surprised I was last month when someone told me that a company they worked with still runs 1/2" return lines on a house loop.Everyone I know has ran 3/4" since the eighties.

Comment

rick and drtyhands...thanks for the replies. i had intended to leave it powered continuously, but now i'll attempt to tailor operation to household activity. got my watts system @ HD for net $149 and it should be installed by this weekend. your helpful comments are sincerely appreciated.
                    that's a great price. costco has it for $179.

it should work great. if you need an extra manifold ($39.99) you can get it from grundfos or from costco's website.

rick.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...at49255&topnav=
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-20-2008, 09:20 PM. Reason: link.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,you have no idea how surprised I was last month when someone told me that a company they worked with still runs 1/2" return lines on a house loop.Everyone I know has ran 3/4" since the eighties.
                      steve uses 3/4'' and that's without a pump. just a thermal loop.

didn't you guys talk shop between strokes

just a side note for all,
                      with a circ pump and good insulation, it's ok to size the hot water larger. on a system without a pump, don't oversize the hot. you'll have to drain off too much standing cold water to get it hot.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        steve uses 3/4'' and that's without a pump. just a thermal loop.

didn't you guys talk shop between strokes

just a side note for all,
                        with a circ pump and good insulation, it's ok to size the hot water larger. on a system without a pump, don't oversize the hot. you'll have to drain off too much standing cold water to get it hot.

rick.
                        No,you did all the talking for us,Remember

Wouldn't have it any other way

Adam

Comment

No,you did all the talking for us,Remember

Wouldn't have it any other way

Adam
                          i let my club and score do all the talking

same with my bat

just getting ready for the ridgid roundup. need to practice my driving skills and pit maneuver

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X