water heater with recirc retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water heater with recirc retrofit

This is a job I did the other day, this and finish on a bathroom I roughed in a month ago, when the bath is done, I will post. This house is built off a hill, this is the space between floors, I had to remove a 40 and go up the stairs on the side of the hill, and down with this 50, and under the stairs you see to set it in. Used type L copper, full 3/4 loop, no 1/2" isolation valves both at the furthest fixture and then the 2 you see here. Solder is a bit sloppy, sorry for that! Enjoy.
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 02-09-2008, 09:13 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Re: water heater with recirc retrofit

I love everything, but why those flexie water supplies to the water heater?

I didn't notice an expansion tank either, is it at the main valve, or not required out there?

And hey silly, why did you post this in the hairy homeowner section?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Hmmm, the wife posted it in this section she had to load the pics, I don't know how to

copper water flex are good out here, especially for the earthquakes

expansion tank, yeah, required, but not in the habit of installing them nor are they enforced, but should be installed, you got me there. the t&p is graded and piped to the exterior though

good going aaron!!
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Take the unneeded union above the ball valve and put it up at the T+P.We don't want to get a bad case of the Rickets.

Looks clean Robert

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Take the unneeded union above the ball valve and put it up at the T+P.We don't want to get a bad case of the Rickets.

Looks clean Robert
          yeah, I know it was not needed, but it was installed when I threw the flange pump away, you know all about that one dear Adam!!

screw the union on the t&p, that could be construed as a code violation due to some one being able to cap it or plug it off, never a union on my t&p, call a plumber to install a coupling if it has to be cut.

I am suprised no one commented on the 3/4 bracket clamps holding the line solid My trademark, I use those whenever I can, makes the job clean and strong. you can swing off that line now.

No one commented on the ECO Freiendly water heater also, does that white unitrol look different to the guys back east?? It's a special cali thing.......I think, for the low nox regs...... or was that just the change to the fire box, that raised the cost $125 big ones???
          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 02-09-2008, 09:25 PM. Reason: 1st grade spelling issues
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Nice suggestion Adam from the union on the T&P Valve Line. Quick in and out when the T&P Valve goes bad for the service guy, which will hopefully be you!
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
              Nice suggestion Adam from the union on the T&P Valve Line. Quick in and out when the T&P Valve goes bad for the service guy, which will hopefully be you!

not really a good idea Aaron, some homeowner will try to plug it from the union if it starts to leak, never give a customer the option, always hard pipe your t&p relief lines.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Beautiful work,You do better work than most. I also install the home comfort with manifold when re-pipe is a problem.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I agree to dis-agree.

This is what your nice looking job should of looked like.

Hey Robert, take a LOOK at those solder joints.

The only thing I wish I did different on this water heater was to leave more room for the next guy to tie the new heater in years down the line.
                  Last edited by Aaron91; 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Looks clean Robert

i would not install a ring/ spring loaded check valve on the inlet side of this small pump. i would install it on the outlet side. plus those isolation stops on the flange unions are a joke. after a couple of months they freeze up.

I agree to dis-agree.

This is what your nice looking job should of looked like.

Hey Robert, take a LOOK at those solder joints.

The only thing I wish I did different on this water heater was to leave more room for the next guy to tie the new heater in.
                    arron what happened to your unions on the inlet/ outlet of the heater?

also a dielectric or brass nipple would be a wise choice. even if those are dielectric nipples. also a strap on the expansion tank would be nice.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i would not install a ring/ spring loaded check valve on the inlet side of this small pump. i would install it on the outlet side. plus those isolation stops on the flange unions are a joke. after a couple of months they freeze up.

arron what happened to your unions on the inlet/ outlet of the heater?

also a dielectric or brass nipple would be a wise choice. even if those are dielectric nipples. also a strap on the expansion tank would be nice.

rick.
                      take that Aaron

Comment

adam, i need to watch the movie and eat some pie. hurry up

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Where I am you can only use 1 elbow on the discharge from the T&P valve. It must be run straight down the side of the water heater and end no higher than 6 inches off the floor. Put simple is has to be a simple L shape with nothing fancy. In addition we must use only hard iron pipe for gas. NO flex anything.

This is county code for where I am.

I'm with Rick on installing a support strap for the expansion tank. Unless I can't see, it looks to me like it's just waiting to bust off.

Comment

Rick, were I work we rarely use unions on water heaters.

They are indeed dielectric nipples. The expansion tank is roughly 6" above the water heater, so I dis agree with the strapping idea.
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Rick, were I work we rarely use unions on water heaters.

They are indeed dielectric nipples. The expansion tank is roughly 6" above the water heater, so I dis agree with the strapping idea.

upc requires unions on a water heater.

the expansion tank is steel. the weight of the water and tank is pretty heavy for a horizontal install. vertical down. installs, no problem.

rick
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X