which pump to try?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which pump to try?

During the winter months when the ground is frozen I have a very consistent flow of water into my sump. (During spring it dries up for the summer - never comes on even during storms.) The sump pump currently goes off every 5 minutes - I'm looking at making the pit bigger this summer with another backup pump. (I have a bat. backup already - saved me once already when the first builder sump pump quit after one season.)

Anyway - I'd like to try a pump that would constantly run and lift the water from the pit (up about 8') to the outgoing pipe. I get a flow of about 50 gallons per hour - so I'm not looking to pump too much water too fast - but if I could find something that could pump less than 50 gallons per hour up the 8' I know I would be saving a lot of wear & tear on my sump pump switch. I'd keep it set lower than the flow - so the sump pump would still have to come one once in awhile - but not every 5 minutes.

Is there such a pump - that is adjustable to that low a flow (under 50 gallons per hour) that could still pump water up that high? (And would fit into sump pit...)

Thanks for any help or guidance...

Re: which pump to try?

I have never heard of an adjustable pump, this is what the float is for. I would use a zoeller 267.

To me, zoeller makes an excellent pump and will have one for your needs.

www.zoeller.com
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I want to avoid using the switch on any sump pump I install too much - this will be the part that goes first, right? I'm guess I'm looking more for a pump you might use for a fountain or something like that. I want a separate pump to pump at a constant rate so that I my sump pump only has to switch on once in awhile. I was just thinking someone might know of a smaller constant rate pump that would help pump out all that water so my sump pump wouldn't have to switch on/off every couple of minutes.

Comment

If you could find a small (have never seen such) diaphragm pump like the type used to pump muddy water out of small swamps you would be all set. They can run dry without harm.

I think in your case that you would do well making the sump larger and also look at a pedestal style sump pump. You should be able to set the start and stop points of the float switch farther apart so it won't cycle as often.

http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcopdfdocs/FM0592.pdf

Comment

Is making the sump larger a do-it-yourself project? (I'm handy...but never done this before...) or who would I call to do such a job? When I suggested this to a clerk in a store once he said I could get myself into more trouble digging down or cracking up the basement floor if there is water underneath the home - any truth to that do you think?

Comment

Working...
          X