X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Help!?

Having some trouble w/ one of our toiliets/fixtures and wondering if some of the pros here could help us out. The cheap p.o.s copper pipe that runs from the wall fixture to the toilet broke (at the base as pictured in the attachment). What amazes me is that we can't just simply buy a new 5/8 or 3/8 wall fixture and a new compatible metal pipe. Two plumbers have taken a look at it. One quoted us 300 bucks, and the other 600. One said he'd have to cut into the wall and cut the pipe out. WTF?? Do we have a non-standardized fixture or something like that?

Thanks so much for any advice you could give.
    Attached Files

Re: Toilet Help!?

That could be cpvc coming out of the wall????

1/2", just replace the angle stop, this would be the best, you need to unscrew it and go to home depot. Get a new stop and supply line.

turn the water off before you do this though.

that is a 1 piece flex and stop, they are junk and they usually flood houses out, I see it all the time.

I have no idea why it would be 300-600 to replace an angle stop unless there is something I am missing.

I went to a call yesterday, this plumber quoted the customer a very large sum of money to intall water to a washing machine, they had me out there to re-quote, I looked, called the customer over and pointed to them that the water supplies were already there, they were capped with brass caps and just needed nipples and a couple 1/4 turn washing machine stops.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert,

Yeah now that I take a closer look, it does look like cpvc coming out of the wall and affixed to the angle stop. I also see what you're referring to on the "one piece" flex and stop. Does look like a piece of junk. The only thing that worries me is the fact that we were told we can't unscrew it to take it off. But...if that was the case how come I can turn it , I wonder...I just want to make sure that if we kill the water and take the angle stop off, that it is in fact replaceable. Otherwise we've got no way to prevent flood when turning the h2o back on, no?

Thanks so much.

Comment

Truthfully, I am not that familiar with cpvc, as I would never use it, as I also think it is junk. But, from what I can see, I see a nut, and the body of the stop, between the nut and the body of the stop I see teflon tape, this tells me it should unscrew and home depot in your area should have the body of the stop that will screw it.

see if this link helps you http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ve-609445.aspx

I think it has a farrell on the inside..... turn the water off and gently unscrew, back the nut up on the pipe and unscrew the body of the stop, I am sure you will be just fine.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert, that's a glue on cpvc valve. You *should* be able the un-thread the 'valve' part out, and as Robert said, thread a new one back in.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Make sure you have a back up wrench on that valve because cpvc gets very brittle with age. Don't use a flexible ss riser , stick with a copper or pex riser and make sure you measure it exactley.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

As was said, that is a CPVC angle stop. But you will only be replacing the stop part of the valve.

All you need is a regular 5/8 x 3/8 comp angle stop. Throw out the 5/8 nut and ferrule and screw on the new stop.

Don't forget to turn the main water off and drain the house down.

You still should get a licensed plumber to do this job. Without a doubt. Just letting you know so you know what is really needed for repair.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Make sure you have a back up wrench on that valve because cpvc gets very brittle with age. Don't use a flexible ss riser , stick with a copper or pex riser and make sure you measure it exactley.
                Why not a stainless steel riser?

I hope I am not going to hear what I think may be said.

Comment

Originally posted by bumpy View Post
                  Having some trouble w/ one of our toiliets/fixtures and wondering if some of the pros here could help us out. The cheap p.o.s copper pipe that runs from the wall fixture to the toilet broke (at the base as pictured in the attachment). What amazes me is that we can't just simply buy a new 5/8 or 3/8 wall fixture and a new compatible metal pipe. Two plumbers have taken a look at it. One quoted us 300 bucks, and the other 600. One said he'd have to cut into the wall and cut the pipe out. WTF?? Do we have a non-standardized fixture or something like that?

Thanks so much for any advice you could give.

well since no one has brought it up, i will.

this is what happens when you call out a flat rate company. the price is in their flat rate book.

you have a $4.00 angle stop and a $3.50 feed line. so even if you double the cost to $15.00 and throw a whole hour labor onto a 10 minute job. how do they justify a $300 or $600 job.

this is a prime example why flat rate is nuts. fortunatly the homeowner is sharp enough to call their bluff.

go find a local plumber that is still time and material.

even paying for a whole hour is still cheaper than what a book says to charge.

glad you're smart enough to know when to tell them to take a hike and look here for real advice.

rick.

and for all the flat rate guys, please tell me how you justify the price

i need a good laugh.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Service charge plus materials, treat a customer right and there will be more jobs in the future. There's nothing better than a happy customer..Rick
                    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                      Service charge plus materials, treat a customer right and there will be more jobs in the future. There's nothing better than a happy customer..Rick
                      it must be a "rick" thing

aren't you "the other rick"

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the input. I hope I'm wrong, but is there any insane circumstance where that 5/8 nut would be welded onto the piece affixed to the cpvc? I'm gonna take a closer look tonight, but I could have sworn that it felt like the first metal piece attached to the cpvc and the 5/8 nut were joined . I've got the parts ready to go, but either way we'll get another lic. plumber in just in case. With my pathetic experience w/ plumbing, I'd hate to try and loosen a welded/stubborn nut and end up breaking the cpvc.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          well since no one has brought it up, i will.

this is what happens when you call out a flat rate company. the price is in their flat rate book.

you have a $4.00 angle stop and a $3.50 feed line. so even if you double the cost to $15.00 and throw a whole hour labor onto a 10 minute job. how do they justify a $300 or $600 job.

this is a prime example why flat rate is nuts. fortunatly the homeowner is sharp enough to call their bluff.

go find a local plumber that is still time and material.

even paying for a whole hour is still cheaper than what a book says to charge.

glad you're smart enough to know when to tell them to take a hike and look here for real advice.

rick.

and for all the flat rate guys, please tell me how you justify the price

i need a good laugh.

Well since no one brought this up, maybe the plumber had no clue what he was looking at and figured he would have to cut into the wall and replace pipe and fitings all the way to the main???

It is hard to say this is just a flat rate company that bid this.....

I had a quote the other day, the plumber clearely didn't know what he was looking at and he quoted an outrageous price, this does not mean he is flat rate company.

Get your head out of the box buddy Rickets, think of other possibilities buddy, not just those that support your feelings, you would be a good politician my friend.
                          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM. Reason: first grade spelling issue
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the input. I hope I'm wrong, but is there any insane circumstance where that 5/8 nut would be welded onto the piece affixed to the cpvc? I'm gonna take a closer look tonight, but I could have sworn that it felt like the first metal piece attached to the cpvc and the 5/8 nut were joined . I've got the parts ready to go, but either way we'll get another lic. plumber in just in case. With my pathetic experience w/ plumbing, I'd hate to try and loosen a welded/stubborn nut and end up breaking the cpvc.

Thanks again!

Back the nut on the pipe up with a wrench and turnt he valve body. Be very carefull as not to stress the nut that is on the pipe.

Not hard to complete, just be carefull and turn the valve body to the left, while applying pressure to the nut on the pipe in the opposite direction to supply even force.

righty tighty, lefty loosy.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Everyone,

Thanks again!
                              Yes, that nut is glued to the CPVC pipe. You still need to put a wrench on it so as to nut snap the pipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X