Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Freeze kits

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
    Hey Rick, do you have any first hand experience with that 'Add a Valve' set up?
    i personally have never used one. i have seen them up close. and i have seen the price for them

my buddy used one at a hospital and was scared to death the first time he used it. i'm glad he was at the hospital, because when they got the bill, they were going to kill him

not cheap, but it will bail you out in a pinch. they do work on flowing water. freezing will not.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Do you know what type of pipe it is. If it's metallic or has a tracer wire the water service could be traced using a locater.

If it's plastic you might be able to use the old "witching" method which I have about a 75% success rate.

These would give you the pipe run. You said you have a N/S dimension, simply lay that out and the box should be located where the water service and N/S dimension intersect.
      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

Just cause someone say's it isn't true, does not mean it isn't. Have you tried it???

I have water gates, the same as jet sweats, next time I am doing a gate valve change out, I will plug it in and turn the meter on to see what happens.

I am very sure it will be fine, I have used it in a 10 story building iwth water pouring out of the system, plugged it and soldered on a valve, I got the bath from plugging and unplugging.

I will keep you all posted.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

The only treasure I have every found with a metal detector is a curb box

Give that a try if you have one

Broken gate valves are a PITA. I'll bet it was a Nibco without a packing nut

Try pressing on the handle or lightly tapping while you turn it on to catch the stem thread

Comment

I talked to the plumbing inspector in that city today. He said theres guys digging 2 foot of frost out of the ground. He said that even if I knew where the curb box was, that it wouldnt be a good idea to mess with it right now. He recommended freezing the pipe as opposed to messing with the shutoff at the street.

I work with a half dozen or so plumbing shops regularly. None of them have a freeze kit, or a propress. They are mainly new construction plumbers and dont do alot of service. Last week one of them told me Sunbelt had a freeze kit that I could rent. I went there this morning to get it and it turns out they dont have one.

I left a message at a bigger shop today for them to just come out and do it for me. It will probably take them a couple days to get back to me as I'm sure they are busy with water mains breaking. We havent had a harsh winter like this in along time. If I dont hear from them in a couple days I'll probably still tackle this project myself, but as of right now I plan on letting a plumber take care of it.

By rights I shouldnt be doing this myself anyway. We are allowed to do our own plumbing here, but only if it is the house we live in which is our primary residence. But, given my abilites and knowledge, I dont mind cheating a little here and there.

Comment

putting a saddle valve (piercing valve) in between your freeze points works great to see if your frozen completely

Comment

see how much the add a valve cost 1" $675.00
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i own all the different freeze kits both co2 to 4'' and ridgid both 2000 and 2500 models. what can i say

rick.

update, now 2-2500sf. just won one today on ebay

don't tell joey

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

how much $$$$$$
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      how much $$$$$$
                      $550.00 with shipping. looks good and it's insured postage.

my first 2000sf cost me $1200 or so maybe 10-15 years ago when they first came out. can't remember exactly.

maybe josh knows the original release date.

the 2500 is a larger machine and does 2.5'' copper and 2'' ips.

great for cooling off the soda pop can

let me know when you need one. i have too many now

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hello Rick, Why so many freezing machines?

Comment

Batman,Welcome to the forum.

Stick around awhile and you'll see our dear friend Rick has quite a few tools.We're trying to get him to seek help.The freeze machines are not even the tip of the iceberg.

His wife considers it one hell of an investment when the old timer kicks the bucket and the young plumbers all rush over to capitalize.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Batman,Welcome to the forum.

Stick around awhile and you'll see our dear friend Rick has quite a few tools.We're trying to get him to seek help.The freeze machines are not even the tip of the iceberg.

His wife considers it one hell of an investment when the old timer kicks the bucket and the young plumbers all rush over to capitalize.
                            this old timer is not kicking any buckets soon but will be kicking butts at the ridgid round up when we gather.
                            watch me and the k-60 smoke the competition.

you can invest in the stock market or you can invest in the best

i tried the rest and invested in the best

or something like that

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Had a bigger, shop which I rarely work with, come out yesterday. He had the shutoff located in 5 minutes. Stuck his key in it and it turned just fine. Not sure why the inspector was so adamant on not messing with it this time of year.

He said they probably couldnt get back to change the inside valve until Thursday. I offered to pay him the locating fee and just change the valve out myself. He was fine with that. He told me the price and I couldnt get my money out of my pocket fast enough. It was extremely fair. Those locaters cant be cheap.

I got the main stop changed out and everything looks good so far other than some shower valves leaking through the stems and the 2 apts on the basement level have slow draining tubs.

I really appreciate all the advice guys.

Rick, what do you think of the Cold-Shot?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENERAL-COLD-SHO...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post

Rick, what do you think of the Cold-Shot?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENERAL-COLD-SHO...QQcmdZViewItem
                                i don't see the aerosol freezing cans. wait until you have to buy those cans of liquid freeze.

unless this is the newer co2 kit, i would stay away from it. last time i looked the cans of "artic freeze" were in the $30.00 range.

check with general for price and avalability first

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X