Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Saddle Valve

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    ran out of posting space. so to continue my post here it is

it only applies to licensed contractors and original customers. it only covers the replacement parts. no labor and no damages.

but it does have something that a copper fitting doesn't. a 25 year warranty.

show me a warranty on a soldered copper fitting. i run into plenty of jobs where the copper circ line has failed in under 10 years. and water heaters/ boiler to storage tank circ lines fail in even less time with 24 hour flow and pumps.

other than propress, there is no warranty for fittings.

so i would say, a cap for temporary use is fine in an exposed location.

although you might think i install these all day long, your wrong.

i only have caps, 90's and couplings. never had 1 fail and i've installed them now for 3 years. all 10 according to my invoice program database

truthfully there is very little difference between a sharkbite connection and a propress connection. especially on 2.5''-4'' propress. the propress shear ring is almost identical to the sharkbite and the o-ring is still exposed to the water. the shear ring bites into the copper similar to the sharkbite.

install a sample sharkbite fitting on a scrap piece of copper and try to pull it off without depressing the release ring. let me know what happens

rick.

I called Cash Acme today, do me a favor and have them write a 25 year warrenty on a fitting that is re-installed multiple times, more then once.

Post this letter with a reputable source that we can contact to make sure this is true.

thank you. I await your letter
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I actually carry a couple of 5/8" compression couplings on the truck. I also carry a small stock of sharkbites. I would far prefer to solder a coupling or repair pipe on there than use either. Any movement in compression fittings can cause them to leak. Sharkbites may actually be better in the long run, at least until the rubber rots. There are even long sharkbite couplings for repairing with a space in the line.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        carefull with that idea adam, I thought this was a good idea until I found out that once the fitting, in this case is a cap, is installed more then once, it voids the warrenty, so the maker must feel that this is a bad idea.

just trying to help out buddy
        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Thanks Robert.

I'm once again glad I heard it hear first.

Uhhhmmm....Like I was saying guys,I charge my prefered generals for the couple of caps I provide them so I don't have to make a special trip.
        Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        I called Cash Acme today, do me a favor and have them write a 25 year warrenty on a fitting that is re-installed multiple times, more then once.

Post this letter with a reputable source that we can contact to make sure this is true.

thank you. I await your letter
        funny i too called cash acme this morning and spoke to tech. services. he told me that the shark bite was designed to be removed and it can be reinstalled. i suggested for them to come here and post to set the record straight. he transfered me to the director of marketing for sharkbite.

mr. joe sherrill returned my call at 3:10pm pst/ 6:10 pm est. to my surprise.

mr sherrill is well aware of the ridgid plumbing forum and he believes his head engineer has attempted to post here in the past and it was not allowed. he will be following up with him tomorrow.

so to answer your question robert, i have spoken to a real person at cash acme and i will be following up with him and his engineer to set the record straight and put ease to the plumbers that are scared off by unfounded remarks by mysterious unnamed sources. i'm glad you don't like sharkbite, but don't post mythes unless you can back them up with real facts. mr. sherrill is not my imagination running wild.

for the rest, sit patient as i get the answers that are already posted in the warranty confirmed. for those of us that have used the fittings with success, continue using them as i have yet to have an issue with any of my documented repairs. i know where everyone on these fittings are installed and when they were installed. (the power of a database).

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

why would they make and sell a tool to remove the sharkbite if they don't want it removed and re-used? if they expect it to be re-used, and provide the means to remove it, why wouldn't they warranty it?
          Brent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
            why would they make and sell a tool to remove the sharkbite if they don't want it removed and re-used? if they expect it to be re-used, and provide the means to remove it, why wouldn't they warranty it?
            Maybe the company could protect itself from abusive entities by saying the tool was designed for removal for replacement only.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              funny i too called cash acme this morning and spoke to tech. services. he told me that the shark bite was designed to be removed and it can be reinstalled. i suggested for them to come here and post to set the record straight. he transfered me to the director of marketing for sharkbite.

mr. joe sherrill returned my call at 3:10pm pst/ 6:10 pm est. to my surprise.

mr sherrill is well aware of the ridgid plumbing forum and he believes his head engineer has attempted to post here in the past and it was not allowed. he will be following up with him tomorrow.

so to answer your question robert, i have spoken to a real person at cash acme and i will be following up with him and his engineer to set the record straight and put ease to the plumbers that are scared off by unfounded remarks by mysterious unnamed sources. i'm glad you don't like sharkbite, but don't post mythes unless you can back them up with real facts. mr. sherrill is not my imagination running wild.

for the rest, sit patient as i get the answers that are already posted in the warranty confirmed. for those of us that have used the fittings with success, continue using them as i have yet to have an issue with any of my documented repairs. i know where everyone on these fittings are installed and when they were installed. (the power of a database).

rick.

This was brought up by a reputable source at a local supply house, who, himself actually installs sharkbites, and has nothing against sharkbites or the other push on fittings, when they are used in certain situations.

I am not requesting a post, I am requesting in writting a guarantee that they will honor a warrenty on a "Push on Cap" that will be re-used multiple times, for 25 years. a post means nothing and will do nothing in court.

So you feel these remarks are "unfounded" and I scared multiple plumbers away, I have a great example of unfounded trash talking, you grouping everyone in a flat rate catagory of rip off's, con's etc, maybe you can fix what you said so the customers you "scared off" will return and the businesses that operate "NOT LIKE YOU" won't lose any business.

It's funny, when I called Cash Acme, I was unable to get a straight answer, I got a "Shouldn't be a problem" and "Who is going to tell the truth about multiple installations" Very far from the answer I was looking for.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X