Old Saddle Valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Saddle Valve

My cold water line in my basement has an old saddle valve that is not used anymore. Looks like they just cut the copper tubing and crimped it.

I don't have any leaks or any other problems...but wondering if it should be removed and the pipe repaired. What would be the best way to repair the pipe?

Thanks for your advice.

Adenn

Re: Old Saddle Valve

I would take it out, especially if it is the crappy needle valve. just turn the water off, open it, unscrew the screws and then cut the pipe down the pin hole and slid on a slip cplg and solder it on.

If it is larger then the hole a needle valve makes, cut it out, both side, slide on 2 couplings and a section of pipe, solder it toghether.

I am never a big fan of leaving old valves and suck in place that are no longer in use.

If it is not like I described, a picture would be nice.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

What Robert said.

To be on the safe side, take the old saddle valve out.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Thank you for your advice. Is there a compression fitting that could be used...rather than solder? Just curious.

New to soldering. I could have my neighbor to come over and do it...he's in HVAC.

Again, thanks for the advice. I guess this is something I don't need leaking when away on a trip. Knowing my luck...it would fail when I am away.

Comment

Yes, there are Shark Bite fittings, compression fittings, and the Pro Press System, but I would solder it if I were you.

But, if you had to use one of those, I would recommend Shark Bite fittings. All you would need is a set of mini cutters, 2 Shark Bite Couplings (the same size are the pipe the saddle valve is one) and a short section of pipe to match the Shark Bite fittings.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

If its a choice between compression or sharkbite, hands down compression. Sharkbites have not been road tested enough IMHO. I use sharkbites but for temporary use only. Very usefull and time saving tool just not permanet. Soldered would be best as others have mentioned.

wookie

Comment

Sharkbites suck, I would choose compression over everything but solder. ProPress is also very good in certain situations, but I doubt you have the equipment.

Compression only where it is readily accessible, solder needs to be used everywhere else.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

hey robert,
                never used but herd of shark bite.. why they so crappy? i agree with the lackof press fit tool, what a cumbersome beast of a machine. SOLDER ALL THE WAY!!
                if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
                  hey robert,
                  never used but herd of shark bite.. why they so crappy? i agree with the lackof press fit tool, what a cumbersome beast of a machine. SOLDER ALL THE WAY!!

They have not been field tested long enough and anything that pushes on, with little stainless steel teeth and an oring...expected to last for many, many years, probably 20 before anyone touches it........ I don't think so.

expansion, contraction, movement in the pipe, I just get the chills to think of the stress on the fitting.

Who knows, I tend to do things overboard, beut it is so I can sleep well at night.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I'm thinking the compression fitting will be fine,because it will be just as accessible as the valve it is replacing.

Row,sharkbites have their place in the industry.The fitting sockets are designed with a rubber o-ring to seal and stainless steel retainer ring(like chinese fingers)to keep the copper from blowing out.I've never used them,but I know there are plumbers here who have.They have not been out in the field for the years it takes for a product to prove itself.So I only have a couple of emergency sharkbite caps I give to my prefered Generals so they don't have to call me out when they cut a pipe during demo or if they need to cut off a leaking angle stop.

They can be removed and re-used.So I can take them back with me after re-roughing in the water system.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      They can be removed and re-used.So I can take them back with me after re-roughing in the water system.

carefull with that idea adam, I thought this was a good idea until I found out that once the fitting, in this case is a cap, is installed more then once, it voids the warrenty, so the maker must feel that this is a bad idea.

just trying to help out buddy
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        carefull with that idea adam, I thought this was a good idea until I found out that once the fitting, in this case is a cap, is installed more then once, it voids the warrenty, so the maker must feel that this is a bad idea.

Thanks Robert.

I'm once again glad I heard it hear first.

Uhhhmmm....Like I was saying guys,I charge my prefered generals for the couple of caps I provide them so I don't have to make a special trip.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post

how would they know it was used more than once?

where did you find this out from?

i just copied and pasted the entire warranty from their website and i don't see it.

page 7
                          Limited Warranty
                          Subject to the terms and conditions provided below, Cash Acme warrants that each Cash Acme SharkBite fitting (herein referred to as
                          the “product”) will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 25 years from the date of manufacture shown on
                          the product (the “Warranty Period”). For any product defect discovered within the Warranty Period and reported to Cash Acme as
                          provided below, Cash Acme in its sole discretion will repair or replace the defective product without charge. This limited warranty
                          extends only to the person installing the product and/or the person for whom the product was installed and is not transferable to any
                          other person, business or legal entity.
                          Conditions:
                          This limited warranty shall apply only if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
                          1. The product must be installed by a licensed professional contractor, only in potable water distribution systems and/or
                          hydronic heating systems, and in strict compliance with all applicable plumbing and/or building codes and the installation
                          instructions, which are provided with the product and also available at www.cashacme.com.
                          2. The water pressure and temperature for the operating environment in which the product is installed shall never exceed the
                          maximum pressure and temperature limits specified in the installation instructions for the product.
                          3. The product must be used only with PEX, Copper or CPVC pipe/tubing certified to the following specifications and
                          meeting the dimensions as specified in the applicable product standard: PEX (ASTM F876, CSA B137.5); copper (ASTM
                          B 88); and CPVC (ASTM D 2846, CSA B137.6).
                          4. All pipe/tubing used with the product must have a smooth surface finish free of gouges, cuts, scratches, tar, kinks, grease,
                          flux, fading or discoloration, and be vertically and horizontally supported, as required by applicable plumbing and/or
                          building codes.
                          5. The product shall not be installed if it appears defective or damaged, whether by accident, abuse, misuse, neglect or
                          otherwise.
                          6. If the product is to be installed in a concealed location, the applicable local authority must have inspected the system or
                          section of the system to be concealed prior to installation and confirmed the absence of any leaks.
                          7. Any disinfection of the water distribution system in which the product is to be installed must be in accordance with
                          applicable building code and industry standards for potable water systems.
                          8. Local authorities and Cash Acme shall be consulted concerning unresolved questions or uncertainties about the product
                          before installation.
                          Exclusions:
                          This limited warranty shall not apply if:
                          1. Any alterations are made to the product by any person;
                          2. The product was installed improperly or not for its intended use, or was abused or otherwise misused following
                          installation;
                          3. The product was installed in a hydronic system and any fluids other than water or water diluted with alcohol or glycol were
                          used in that system; (Mixture should not exceed 50% glycol)
                          4. The product was installed in any part of a building sewer system; or,
                          5. The product defect arose out of or in any manner related to: vandalism, negligence, foreign matter in the system, peculiar
                          water conditions, sabotage, acts of terrorism or any other acts or omissions by any person; earthquakes, natural disasters,
                          weather-related incidents and other acts of God; or any other circumstances over which Cash Acme has no control.
                          Making a Warranty Claim. Cash Acme has no liability or obligation under this limited warranty unless and until all of these
                          conditions are satisfied. Any warranty claim must:
                          1. Be made to Cash Acme within ten (10) days after discovery of the alleged defect or deficiency.
                          2. Include the allegedly defective product, along with a short section of the tubing/pipe connected to and immediately
                          adjacent to the product.
                          3. Include information establishing the product was installed, used and maintained in accordance with Cash Acme Installation
                          Instructions, all applicable plumbing code provisions and the terms and conditions of this limited warranty. At a minimum,
                          any warranty claim shall include the following information related to the system/operating environment in which the
                          product was installed/exposed: system water pressure; system water temperature; date the product was
                          installed/commissioned in the system; location of installation; nature of installation; date product failed; a description of
                          the product failure; and, if the product was installed in a concealed location, proof that the system or section of the system
                          concealed was properly inspected or tested for leaks by the local authority before concealment.
                          Limitation of Warranty. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF AND CASH ACME HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER
                          WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
                          FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING,
                          CUSTOM OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL SUCH OTHER WARRANTIES BEING HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. THIS
                          LIMITED WARRANTY SUPERSEDES ANY OTHER REPRESENTATION OR PROMISE, WHETHER WRITTEN OR ORAL,
                          MADE BY ANY EMPLOYEE, AGENT OR REPRESENTATIVE OF CASH ACME.
                          THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SETS FORTH ALL OBLIGATIONS OF CASH ACME CONCERNING, AND THE REMEDY
                          PROVIDED HEREIN IS THE CUSTOMER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR, DEFECTS IN MATERIALS OR
                          WORKMANSHIP OF PRODUCTS SUPPLIED BY CASH ACME.
                          IN NO EVENT SHALL CASH ACME BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL,
                          CONTINGENT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY ECONOMIC LOSS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION
                          DAMAGES OR OTHER COSTS ARISING FROM LOSS OF USE, DELAY, PERSONAL INJURY, LABOR CHARGES,
                          INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, NEGLIGENCE, LOST PROFITS OR REVENUE, OR ANY OTHER INJURY WHATSOEVER
                          TO PERSON OR PROPERTY, IN CONNECTION WITH THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
                          Applicable in USA and Canada only.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

ran out of posting space. so to continue my post here it is

it only applies to licensed contractors and original customers. it only covers the replacement parts. no labor and no damages.

but it does have something that a copper fitting doesn't. a 25 year warranty.

show me a warranty on a soldered copper fitting. i run into plenty of jobs where the copper circ line has failed in under 10 years. and water heaters/ boiler to storage tank circ lines fail in even less time with 24 hour flow and pumps.

other than propress, there is no warranty for fittings.

so i would say, a cap for temporary use is fine in an exposed location.

although you might think i install these all day long, your wrong.

i only have caps, 90's and couplings. never had 1 fail and i've installed them now for 3 years. all 10 according to my invoice program database

truthfully there is very little difference between a sharkbite connection and a propress connection. especially on 2.5''-4'' propress. the propress shear ring is almost identical to the sharkbite and the o-ring is still exposed to the water. the shear ring bites into the copper similar to the sharkbite.

install a sample sharkbite fitting on a scrap piece of copper and try to pull it off without depressing the release ring. let me know what happens

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Adenn1 View Post
                              New to soldering. I could have my neighbor to come over and do it...he's in HVAC.
                              Then have your neighbor come over and braze the coupling on for you. In fact with silphoss, he could just cover the hole with that but I would recomend to use a coupling.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X