X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Plumbing

I have to install some theatrical scenery with exposed plumbing. I have a good deal of plumbing knowledge and experience. I need to install a lavatory drain that is visible to the audience. The problem is that the show is set in the 1930's. What material would they have used back then? Would it also be P-trapped? Since it is theater, I can make it out of PVC, but it needs to be painted like it would have been. I think the drain in the wall would have been cast iron, but would it have been the same between the sink and the stack?

It also may matter that the show is supposed to take place in Pittsburgh. Does anyone have a clue as to plumbing in the 30s in Pitt?

Re: Historic Plumbing

uh, a wooden bucket?

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

In the thirties viterious china was commonly used for toilets as well as lavs along with enameled steel and cast iron for tubs and lavs also. Typically exposed traps would have been chrome s type though p traps were also somewhat in use. the following site has some good info and links to many other sites also

http://www.theplumber.com/h_index.html
      sigpic

Comment

Depends on how authentic you want it to look. Exposed traps would have been chrome. Best to buy a plastic S trap and paint it chrome. S traps were common in that era. Any exposed drain lines from a sink were likely galvanized pipes with cast iron fitting. Paint the PVC grey for galv. and the fittings rust brown. Exposed waterlines were all galvanized then. Again, buy 3/4" PVC and paint it silver.

Comment

/Users/jimrossbach/Desktop/images.jpeg

Comment

edit: the image was an outhouse. I goofed in posting.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Depends on how authentic you want it to look. Exposed traps would have been chrome. Best to buy a plastic S trap and paint it chrome. S traps were common in that era. Any exposed drain lines from a sink were likely galvanized pipes with cast iron fitting. Paint the PVC grey for galv. and the fittings rust brown. Exposed waterlines were all galvanized then. Again, buy 3/4" PVC and paint it silver.
              Believe it or not, my HD sells chrome s traps.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Believe it or not, my HD sells chrome s traps.
                LOL, they all do.

Comment

Working...
                X