hot water recirculating system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot water recirculating system

anyone out there care to comment on this? unlike watts system, pump is at sink instead of at HW heater.

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/howit.htm
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: hot water recirculating system

These are great for getting hot water to your sink quickly. They are also good for getting a nice hot drink of water from the cold side. They aren't much good on a manifold system because they would only work at one fixture. They've been around in one form or another for quite a while.

Comment

There are many different types of this pump, under different manufacturers.

I have heard different things, both good and bad, one being what was aready mentioned, warm water in the cold water feed.

A secret to installing these type of systems, order extra mixing valves for some of the other fixtures in the house. This is especially true for the units that mount on top of the water heater, it insures hot water at all fixtures.

Once again, the possible problem is the mixing of water for a few seconds, warm in the cold. Always best to keep the 2 systems seperate.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

WCP...thanks for the separation comment. so in the photos you posted of your recirc retro fit, the line from the HW heater discharge goes to a hot water "fixture" point that is some distance from the HW heater. any ideas on ways to accomplish that in an 85 year old ballon frame 3 flr house where the codes do not permit pex on potable water and the HW heater is in the basement(1st flr) and the furthest fixture is on the third flr?

Comment

ouch, that does not sound like fun. I get these calls every so often, especially for the townhouses, it would be very expensive to run the loop back down, so I give them this option, the optiuon of the unit that will go on top of the water heater.

I have yet to be able to sell one of these units once i warn about the possibilites.

Your idea would be the best way, if the unit operates correctly, it would be perfect, but if it does not, I would warn my customers of the possibility of the bleed over.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Out state ammended the code to exclude this type of installation because it poses a cross connection between the hot and cold water which is a code voilation.
            sigpic

Comment

so are these "recirculating systems in a box" a code violation? I realize there is the possibility of hot in the cold faucet, but it is supposed to be possible only until the "comfort valve"(the undersink crossconnection) warms to temperature and closes, thereby isolating, in theory, hot from cold and vice versa. WCP and NHmaster, comments would be appreciated. also, WCP, are there any serious problems that could arise from bleed over? any examples? I just dislike the idea of continually pouring good water down the drain.

Comment

truthfully, this system uses a push button switch/ door bell switch.

most customers will not want to push a button and then wait for the water to warm up. also you need power in the cabinet of the fixture.

the watts is a more practical system with the cross over manifold in the cabinets and the pump on the heater. also these work automatically with the built in timer and temperature controlled manifolds.

but if you really want this style of a system, i have 4- mutlands in stock i can sell you cheap

the mutland is very similar to the unit you asked about.

my newer installs are the grundfos/ watts comfort series.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

NHM's state figured out and introduced the ammendment because if the unit fails and the hot water finds itself to be an easier route through the cold feed you can get hot water out the cold valve,potentially causing harm.

I know you were waiting for our dear Westcoast but I could'nt resist "Hee-Hee"

Comment

DH...so the issue is safety, assuming some hot water setting might be high enough to scald,and if the sensor valve fails, one could get scalding water from the cold side of the faucet. am i understanding this correctly? thanks.

Comment

It is not something that I'm going to split hairs with someone over a chance in 10,000 or whatever the number is in a debate.

But the master plumber who resides in NH says his jurisdiction has deemed them a red flag because of exactly what you explained.

I would tell someone the pros and cons as put out in this thread and let the interested party decide.

Remember Toolaholic loves his.

Adam

Comment

Thats exactly what I do Adam, I give the customer pros' and con's and I allow them to decide.

I do not like to leave my customer in the dark. If I feel uncomfortable installing something, I will voice my opinion to my customer, or I will not install it at all.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Here is what I did to fix my hot water problem, It is called a grundfos pump.Grundfos Comfort System (UP 15-10 SU7P TLC) Part# 595916 - includes one pump & valve, cost was about 185.00 installed myself.
                          I went from it taking 1 min 45 sec to get hot water to my kitchen to about 30 sec. The pump/timer is installed on the hot water heater & the valve under the sink at the place you are having the problem, you can install these valves under every sink if needed. My wife is now happy & my water bill has decreased
                          Last edited by gettools; 02-20-2008, 08:31 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

My situation is a 1959 concrete slab home,with an open beam ceiling, The manifold was the only praticle way to go.
                            If I had a crawl space , full basement,or attic,Iwould have considered a loop. Again Mom and I are more than happy with our grufos home comfort. Of course We could die any day from a cross connection. Any one think those Germans are dumb?????
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              My situation is a 1959 concrete slab home,with an open beam ceiling, The manifold was the only praticle way to go.
                              If I had a crawl space , full basement,or attic,Iwould have considered a loop. Again Mom and I are more than happy with our grufos home comfort. Of course We could die any day from a cross connection. Any one think those Germans are dumb?????
                              They were under the impression they were so far superior they could conqeur the world at one time.

This is only a joke,meant to entertain!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X