Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumber from England

Hello fellas,

I'm currently training as a plumber over here in merry old England at the moment. However, in about 3 years time I'll be moving to the States if all goes as planned to marry a gorgeous American gal. I was wondering if any of you know what my qualifications from over here would mean over there. I'll have an NVQ Level 3 advanced plumbing, CORGI registration which means I can work on any gas installations etc and about 2 years in the trade. We do have apprenticeships over here, but they last between 2 and 4 years and finish with less training than I'll have.

I'll have the majority of qualifications that I can gain for plumbing in England, but from reading up about the standards in the USA, it seems that I wouldn't even be able to be a journeyman because I'll have only been working full time for just over 2 years. Is this right? I don't like the idea of having to start as an apprentice, since over here I would be way ahead of them.

Cheers for any help you can give.

Andy

Re: Plumber from England

Welcome to the forum.

Your based experiences across the pond I'm sure will hold clout most likely to every state. What will be important is the number of years in the profession and what you've accomplished in that time.

It will be a judgement call based on your general skills in the trade.

That will be your chance to test out for the journeyman's test. You'll have to know the codes and the piping systems here so that won't be as simple as a book read.

Months on the job will be the testament of how well you do in testing.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. So basically I'd have to spend a few months on the job, and during that time I'd be assessed and also figure out the different systems, and then have the chance to take the test?

Comment

why do you guys have to take our women? Are'nt there any good looking British girls ?

sigpic

Comment

There's plenty, but boy, this yankee girl sure does outclass them all

Comment

Originally posted by Gaweda View Post
            There's plenty, but boy, this yankee girl sure does outclass them all
            LOL..hope it works out for you.
            BEST thing you could possibly do, look online for the state plumbing board where you're moving, get their number and call THEM!
            Each state here has different guidelines.
            My license is no good the next state over unless I at least pass that states exam.
            You might be lucky, you might not...you could always just make her move there....
            (recently married here, I know the deal)

Comment

Originally posted by Gaweda View Post
              Hello fellas,

I'm currently training as a plumber over here in merry old England at the moment. However, in about 3 years time I'll be moving to the States if all goes as planned to marry a gorgeous American gal. I was wondering if any of you know what my qualifications from over here would mean over there. I'll have an NVQ Level 3 advanced plumbing, CORGI registration which means I can work on any gas installations etc and about 2 years in the trade. We do have apprenticeships over here, but they last between 2 and 4 years and finish with less training than I'll have.

I'll have the majority of qualifications that I can gain for plumbing in England, but from reading up about the standards in the USA, it seems that I wouldn't even be able to be a journeyman because I'll have only been working full time for just over 2 years. Is this right? I don't like the idea of having to start as an apprentice, since over here I would be way ahead of them.

Cheers for any help you can give.

Andy
              I've worked with a number og plumbers from England and found that their apprentiship training prepares them excellently in skills of the trade. You will have you adapt to the state code you will be under, but that should not be difficult. Just make sure you explain that to your new employers.
              the dog

Comment

I you were out here close to Los Angeles California area(because I don't know about the others) I could suggest a little book work(40 hours or so if you completely understand your areas requirements) to familarize yourself with terminology and differences in requirements,while your making a buck working the pipe during the day.

Then when you feel confident go down to the city center and take your journeymans test.

Comment

Heck just come to Florida..I was a helper for 2 months...then became an official Plumber and plumber on call when 2 guys quit...and I was hired as a HVAC Tech sooo my plumbing experience was runing 3/4" condensate lines....unlike most other states Florida lets u work under the owners lic. Sooooo owner decides if your a plumber or not...not the state....Pluss we got a lot of British owned pubs and such where I live....15 miles from Space shuttle's launch pad....Just worked on "Lord Ravenswood's hall"...a small british grocery store...owner is from liverpool.

Comment

if you wanna plumb come up here to canada, we still crap in oouthouses and drink from the rivers. all u have to know is how deep to dig the pit. nahhh everyones right here, better to work and learn the code for that area and then when ready write the test... same thing will have to happen here(taking the jman test) good luck on the test and have a good move, hopefully the air port doesnt lose your knickers...hahahahahaha
                    if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Being a Journeyman means different things in different jurisdictions so I would learn the requirements for the area you want to settle in first. As long as you have a good fundamental knowledge of the mechanic of plumbing the Codes should be easy. I had a pair of brothers come over from Russia to work for me and within three years they started their own shop. You will only be limited by the limits you set for yourself.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                      X