Second Sink backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Sink backup

Hey guys! So I have two upstairs sinks in the masterbath. Sink 1 goes to a single drain with a standard "J" trap. The other, sink 2, comes down in a "J" and then runs up a bit at a slant to its own drain. Sink 2 does drain , but not well and very slowly. I would like to fix the problem once and for all. Do I need to have the run parallel to the floor? Any other recommendations to make sink 2 drain normally? Many Thanks!

MB
    Attached Files

Re: Second Sink backup

It looks like to me that the 2nd lav drain pipe is back pitched, causing it to drain slowly. Try loosing up the white nut on the trap of the 'J trap' as you call it, and re tighten it back up, so the pipe has fall going towards the wall.

Btw, did you do the plumbing work under there?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by MB1980 View Post
      Hey guys! So I have two upstairs sinks in the masterbath. Sink 1 goes to a single drain with a standard "J" trap. The other, sink 2, comes down in a "J" and then runs up a bit at a slant to its own drain. Sink 2 does drain , but not well and very slowly. I would like to fix the problem once and for all. Do I need to have the run parallel to the floor? Any other recommendations to make sink 2 drain normally? Many Thanks!

MB

The sink with the longer white plastic trap arm looks like it has negative grade and it has a "flexi" tube on it, very horrible.

I would grade out the durham fitting coming out of the wall and extend the drain closer to the sink, install a trap adapter and new trap. the drain needs to fall towards the wall, a 1/4" atleast.

For the other sink, I see a plastic and metal trap, this is not a correct installation, it should either be all metal or plastic trap.

It is hard to tell by the pictures, but make sure the pop up plungers are adjusted properly and snake both sinks, make sure the cable does not pass into the other sink, the cable may jump the barrel of the fitting, if this is a side by side installation.

I would call a plumber for this, you have multiple issues that need to be addressed
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
        It looks like to me that the 2nd lav drain pipe is back pitched, causing it to drain slowly. Try loosing up the white nut on the trap of the 'J trap' as you call it, and re tighten it back up, so the pipe has fall going towards the wall.

Btw, did you do the plumbing work under there?
        The plumbing was done prior to us buying the house. Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          The sink with the longer white plastic trap arm looks like it has negative grade and it has a "flexi" tube on it, very horrible.

I would grade out the durham fitting coming out of the wall and extend the drain closer to the sink, install a trap adapter and new trap. the drain needs to fall towards the wall, a 1/4" atleast.

For the other sink, I see a plastic and metal trap, this is not a correct installation, it should either be all metal or plastic trap.

It is hard to tell by the pictures, but make sure the pop up plungers are adjusted properly and snake both sinks, make sure the cable does not pass into the other sink, the cable may jump the barrel of the fitting, if this is a side by side installation.

I would call a plumber for this, you have multiple issues that need to be addressed
          This is probably a stupid question, but what are the issues of mixing plastic and metal components and why can't you do that? also what is the problem with a flexible plastic piece? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MB1980 View Post
            This is probably a stupid question, but what are the issues of mixing plastic and metal components and why can't you do that? also what is the problem with a flexible plastic piece? Thanks.

A drain should be smooth, a flexi piece is like a speed bump and not the proper way of installation.

You have metal threaded onto plastic, this is an excellent way to get a leak, the 2 different types of traps in this case do not seal toghether properly. If you take apart both pieces, you will see that both pieces are not meant to be joined toghether. It's just not the proper way of installation.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              A drain should be smooth, a flexi piece is like a speed bump and not the proper way of installation.

You have metal threaded onto plastic, this is an excellent way to get a leak, the 2 different types of traps in this case do not seal toghether properly. If you take apart both pieces, you will see that both pieces are not meant to be joined toghether. It's just not the proper way of installation.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Comment

Working...
              X