X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing 1" line

What is the proper way to repair a 1" copper water line that split on an outside sprinkler system. My son in law did not drain his outside sprinkler system in time and the line split. I see no give in the line to solder in a coupling as there is no give that I can see.
    Attached Files

Re: fixing 1" line

use a "slip" coupling. also known as a "repair" coupling.

it has no stop in the middle, so you can slide it all the way on one side, and then line the pipes back up, and slid it back on the other.

Comment

at a glance that llooks like 3/4" to me
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

definatly 3/4".
        sigpic

Comment

silver braze over the split.

protect nearby soldered joints and cladding on house from heat.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
            at a glance that llooks like 3/4" to me
            Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            definatly 3/4".
            on my laptop it's 1''.

the garden hose is smaller than the pipe. a normal everyday garden hose is
            5/8'' id. add the od wall and that puts you over 7/8''. the pipe is larger than the hose

i say shark bite for this since it's outside and he might not know how to solder. they make an extended coupling fitting that will work.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

the slip couplings may be expensive so you can cheat a lil.... copper coulpings have a lil tit/inprint on them in the middle to prevent the copper coupling from sliding all the way over the pipe. so file it off with a half round file and then you can slide back the coupling, line it up and then you can get the coupling to the proper engaugement on the copper pipe. or buy a slip coupling. hahahahahaha
              if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
                the slip couplings may be expensive so you can cheat a lil.... copper coulpings have a lil tit/inprint on them in the middle to prevent the copper coupling from sliding all the way over the pipe. so file it off with a half round file and then you can slide back the coupling, line it up and then you can get the coupling to the proper engaugement on the copper pipe. or buy a slip coupling. hahahahahaha
                Please refrain from lighthearted posts until you have reached senior status

Comment

It is 1" as I had them take a look at it again and I can can solder but I live 400 miles from them and will be going down there on the 18th. I had not seen a slip coupling but did buy one for $3.00 and a regular coupling for $2.39 and will try a get a short piece of pipe or would undoing the street elbow and put in a new street elbow + pipe + coupling. I have never silver soldered but may try?? Hate to buy silver solder and flux for it just to use once or does it use the same flux??? Thanks for all of the replies, I am a novice but enjoy reading your board as I was a truck driver for 35 years before I had 2 heart attacks and surgery twice. Now just taking it one day at a time plus a bucket of pills every day,Ha

quickshot

Comment

now that i took a better look. all you need is a 1'' male adapter (c x mip) a 1'' st.90 and a regular coupling. you don't need a slip coupling as the vertical riser has plenty of movement. also a 1' piece of 1'' type l copper.

do not silver solder this. in fact i believe that on non potable water you can still use 50/50 solder and non water soluble flux. much easier to work with than the new stuff

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      do not silver solder this. in fact i believe that on non potable water you can still use 50/50 solder and non water soluble flux. much easier to work with than the new stuff

rick.
                      Not on the house side of the backflow, if at all.
                      I wouldn't use it at all, not even DWV.
                      I won't keep it on my truck, too easy to forget I have it and grab it in a rush when soldering potable.
                      Last edited by DuckButter; 02-16-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

That is a very easy repair....we are repairing the place that has white tape on it??

Very easy, 2 cplgs, and small piece of pipe, no big deal, very easy, on the verticle, so no problems with water comming over.

You have alot of pipe to play with, so experiment, you will be fine.

I would not recommend sharkbites, nothing beats a good solid solder repair.

I am still waiting for that 25 year warranty gurantee on sharkbites that are used multiple times.

I agree with duck on the solder type, only use what potable safe, you never know, you may like soldering and have a different application some day that requires potable usage and use the solder PLUMBERRICK recommended, bad idea.

Kinda like me keeping type M copper on my truck for T&P drains, I only use type L thick wall, I would be worried of picking up the M and installing. Sadly, the T&P lines I run are type L
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 02-16-2008, 04:51 PM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

You guys crack me up,
                          90% of the people on this forum are using,drinking,whatever through copper that is 50/50.You are overdramatizing to take a shot.A couple of fittings....maybe on the potable.If it's easier for the guy,let him get some 50/50 he's not going to repipe his house with it.

Comment

I have some safe flo solder and # 95 Oaty flux so I will attempt to fix but the wind right now is 35 mph and chance of snow. I got a slip connector , a coupling and 8" of copper pipe [which was hard to locate and had to buy a 5' length]. Thanks for all the replies and I hope the weather holds. I can postpone as the system will not be used until late April but do not know when I will be back down.
                            Thanks again,
                            quickshot

Comment

Not me, my house has been pexified.

know someone with lead poisioning?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...