UPC question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPC question

I have an old Durham 1 ½" ELL # 5020 90 XLT made by AB&I. It is a sweep with about a 2" radius that is female tapped on both ends. It is located right after the drain nipple under the kitchen sink. It is so difficult to get a snake through it that I suspect it is probably no longer used as a drain but only as a vent. I think that it may no longer be permitted in the UPC, especially since I can’t even find it in the manufacturers catalog anymore. Can anyone please tell me what the permissible radius is for an 1 ½"? Thank you.

Re: UPC question

It depends on the application.A two inch radius? How are you measuring it,if your going to the center of the ftg. it sounds like a vent 90.Inside sounds like a medium(1/4 bend).XLT means Xtra Long Turn to me.

Comment

If water was to flow down the pipe from vertical to horiz.You will need a long sweep.
      horizontal to vertical=medium sweep
      horizontal to horizontal=long sweep
      These need to be applied until you get at least 6" above the sinks flood rim where the water spills over.

Above that you can use short sweep vent 90's.

Comment

last time i checked, durham fittings are hard to come by. i believe all that is still available are couplings and some bends. not all of them.

cut it out and install a no hub fitting and bands.

rick.

adam, does this sound right about the durham not being available?
        phoebe it is

Comment

I hav'nt seen a durham fitting for sale up her in better than 20 years, though there's a plumbing specialty shop in the area that may have one. The guy collects old plumbing fixtures and fittings and re- sells them.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            last time i checked, durham fittings are hard to come by. i believe all that is still available are couplings and some bends. not all of them.

cut it out and install a no hub fitting and bands.

rick.

adam, does this sound right about the durham not being available?
            $8.12 for 1-1/2 long sweep.When and how many????

Comment

Thank you for all your responses, but my my problem isn’t cutting it out and replacing it but justifying the cutting and replacing, and the fact that it is no longer available makes me tend to think that maybe the reason it is no longer available is because its radius is too short. I measured the 2" radius from the center of the fitting by the way.

Comment

Rick,

Durham fittings are still available. Although in commercial we usually use DWV copper for dirty arm applications these days.
                the dog

Comment

I don't have any problems picking up Durham fittings, I use them alot for commercial repairs.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    I don't have any problems picking up Durham fittings, I use them alot for commercial repairs.
                    A lot of labor with nipples and no-hub couplings on replacing a durham fitting.

What do you use a 1-1/2" left/right nipple and coupling.

I've thought about this for a couple of days and cannot see where I would not use no-hub or copper.

Share....Share Now!!!

We've given you a ton of tricks

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      A lot of labor with nipples and no-hub couplings on replacing a durham fitting.

What do you use a 1-1/2" left/right nipple and coupling.

I've thought about this for a couple of days and cannot see where I would not use no-hub or copper.

Share....Share Now!!!

We've given you a ton of tricks
                      I use durham fittings, especially 1/8 bends and new nipples coming from the santee alot of times into a cabinet. I had to get a durham trap about 1 year ago, because in this ceiling, nothing else would fit, I tried everything, a durham fit perfectly, cause this is what came out.

If I have to replace a section, then yes, I will use no hub and cast, but for the dirty arms and the such as discribed above, I use them all the time, LA Traps etc.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

$8.12 for 1-1/2 long sweep.When and how many????
                        Originally posted by H.O. View Post
                        Thank you for all your responses, but my my problem isn’t cutting it out and replacing it but justifying the cutting and replacing, and the fact that it is no longer available makes me tend to think that maybe the reason it is no longer available is because its radius is too short. I measured the 2" radius from the center of the fitting by the way.

just got off the phone with my salesman. he said that 1.5'' no problem.

2'' is not available anymore. couplings and 45's are the fittings that are most valued.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I use Durham fittings on trap arms but that's about it.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I use Durham fittings on trap arms but that's about it.

Mark
                            That's what I thought the response was going to be.And like the Dog,I'm using the DWV copper taken off from the tapped san-tee.After all the 95%plugged galvanized I've cut out over the years I'm very comfortable with the copper.In my humble opinion.

you know if it was anyone else I would not be so humble

Comment

That's what I thought the response was going to be.And like the Dog,I'm using the DWV copper taken off from the tapped san-tee.After all the 95%plugged galvanized I've cut out over the years I'm very comfortable with the copper.In my humble opinion.

you know if it was anyone else I would not be so humble

I guess after 30 years, the nipple and the durham 1/8 will need to be replaced.........

I don't find it necessary to pull out the DWV and the DWV fittings, solder, flux and everything else needed to just replace usually 2 nipples and an 1/8 bend. Imagine how much more I would have to charge my customer

Instead, I just dope and screw, it's good for 30 more years.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X