energo again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: energo again

I really like the Beckett unit. It's easy to install and works very well. We have installed well over a hundred of them with no problems at all. If you take a look at most baseboard performance curves you will note that for residential baseboard the curve is pretty much linear. Slant fin 15 is rated (if i remember correctly) at 580 btu\hr per lin ft @ 180 degrees, 4 gpm flow and drops to 440 btu\hr @ 160 degrees, same flow rate. What actually heppens though is the circulator for this zone will run for a longer period of time to satisfy the thermostat. Not a bad thing as the longer the circ runs the better the electrical efficiency. with the price of fuel what it is, it is insane to keep a boiler operating constantly in the 180 - 200 degree range even on warmer days when these temperatures are not required. If you experiance cold return conditions you can always add a by-pass from the feed to the return, but in my experiance it is not often needed, expecially if the boiler is non condensing.
    sigpic

Comment

NHM ... i'm a little confused by your last post. after i set the high limit on my aquastat to 190F, the copper BB zone was as comfortable as the CI zones. as i understand the Beckett HM, it needs the range from at least 145F to 180F to operate properly. too narrow a range and it limits the flexibility of the unit. am i wrong that higher water temps are achieved at minimal marginal cost once teh boiler has fired? i.e., teh cost to go from 160 to 180 is relatively small once teh unit has begun to warm its thermal mass. if so, then teh Beckett HM seems to be aimed at maximizing the heat input provided by the boiler by matching its "stored" BTUs to the heat load of teh building. and what is the issue with "cold returns"? just looking to broaden my knowledge base. BTW, teh Beckett HM is identical to the Energo unit, but available in teh NY tristate area for a third of energo's $545 price.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Ok, first off remember that even if you set the boiler limit at say 200 it will only reach that if the outside temp has dropped to the point that the modulating control is now also operating within that range (say 140-195) Which is also why on very cod days the heat manager is going to allow the boiler to come up to maximum operating limit and your copper fin tube will do just fine. The confusion here I think is that you must remember that the baseboard (and radiators also) will not need to have 180 degree water flowing through them when the outside temp is warm. Yes there is a bit of a balance situation between the radiators and the baseboard but I'll bet you will never know the difference. Ask any hydronic engineer, it is always a good idea to modulate boiler temperature. If you need a more thourough explanation visit this web site and hit the questions section. www.heatinghelp.com
        I could write you and entire thesis on the subject but it's been done before by guys more articulate than I
        sigpic

Comment

NHM...thanks for the info. i have my heatmanager and will be installing it shortly. i understand the concept of modulating boiler water temperature, but am i correct that copper BB needs somewhat higher water temps. than CI rads? or could bolier water temp be set so low and a zone heat load be so high that the circulator would never stop in a copper BB zone? in reading the HM literature, it seems like the broader the range of water temp. available to the unit as it seeks to modulate water temp, the better. wouldn't setting a high limit of 150F undermine the potential effectiveness of the unit? and of the units you've installed, did the owners actualy realize savings of 10% or better? I appreciate the link to Beckett and all the info. your reaction to the above would be appreciated.

Comment

You should leave the boiler hi limit set to somewhere around 180 - 200. Remember the boiler will only reach this temp if it's really cold outside. Otherwise the modulating control will set this temp. Most of our customers report around 15% savings and some in the low 20% range. The savings has a lot to do with the initial efficiency of the boiler.
            sigpic

Comment

well, its in! install went fairly smoothly, once i corrected the polarity in the aquastat. seems the heating contractor , who specializes in these things, ran the hot to L2(neutral) leg and the neutral to L1 when the boiler was initially installed in 2003. all the lights on the unit fired up just like they were supposed to per the installation instructions and now, we'll see if it helps. special thanks to PC and NHM for the information assist.

Comment

Working...
              X