X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen screw

I am trying to replace the trim kit on my stand up shower. The handle screw is frozen, I have tried solvent to no avail. Any other way to remove it? Drill it out? Heat? Thanks.

Re: Frozen screw

If you can get hold of an impact screwdriver and go gently it might free up. Soak in first in PB Blaster and let is sit a few hrs. If all else fails you'r gonna have to drill it out
    sigpic

Comment

Liquid Wrench is supposed to be one of the best for this type of thing (I've used it a few times). Treat it and let it sit for a while (this means more than 5 minutes) & repeat a few times. Have you tried giving it a quick little 1/8" tighten and then loosening it? If you can at least turn it, work it back and forth hopefully loosening it more and more.

I remember seeing this article (just did a search but can't seem to find it) where they had a bunch of rusted bolts rusted in the same environment. Then they treated them with all kinds of solvents, oils, etc and they evaluated how much torque it took to loosen each differently treated bolt. I think the dry spec with not treating it required something like 500 foot pouns to loosen but with liquid wrench it was somewhere near 100 foot pounds, and WD40 was somehwere in the 220-250 range if I recall correctly. I think the best one was something like 50-60 foot pounds and that was treated with acetone if I remember correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
        Liquid Wrench is supposed to be one of the best for this type of thing (I've used it a few times). Treat it and let it sit for a while (this means more than 5 minutes) & repeat a few times. Have you tried giving it a quick little 1/8" tighten and then loosening it? If you can at least turn it, work it back and forth hopefully loosening it more and more.

I remember seeing this article (just did a search but can't seem to find it) where they had a bunch of rusted bolts rusted in the same environment. Then they treated them with all kinds of solvents, oils, etc and they evaluated how much torque it took to loosen each differently treated bolt. I think the dry spec with not treating it required something like 500 foot pouns to loosen but with liquid wrench it was somewhere near 100 foot pounds, and WD40 was somehwere in the 220-250 range if I recall correctly. I think the best one was something like 50-60 foot pounds and that was treated with acetone if I remember correctly?
        Huge bit of info Scott,thumbs up.
        I need to try the acetone.

Comment

Swearing! lots of swearing with some insults thrown in. Say things like " I know I'm smarter than you, your just a f ing screw and thats all you'll ever be. I may not be a millionaire but at least I have a chance"!
          "I'm an AmeriCAN not an AmeriCAN'T"

If the above doesn't work then read the thread titled HAMMERS in the Ridgid survey section
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Swearing! lots of swearing with some insults thrown in. Say things like " I know I'm smarter than you, your just a f ing screw and thats all you'll ever be. I may not be a millionaire but at least I have a chance"!

If the above doesn't work then read the thread titled HAMMERS in the Ridgid survey section

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

The best part is when you've been reduced to mumbling to yourself semi-audibly and the homeowner has been standing right behind you for god only knows how long.

Comment

Ummm, I get frozen screws all the time, why not break the handle off and replace the handle and the stem,

The only time I do not do this, is if I am unable to replace the parts right away.

I break alot of price pfisters off all the time, along with moen and mixet.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

the majority of these screws are chrome plated brass. very soft and easy to strip the head.

stainless is stronger and it too can freeze.

now try removing a stripped or frozen allen head screw. these are typically a grade 8 hardness and drilling is not as simple.

before you drill, make sure the stem is readily avaliable and you're not stuck trying to re-tap the stem.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Hell. after you snap the damn thing off you can always get hod of a cheap pair of vice grips and just leave em clamped to whats left of the stem....Stylish
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Hell. after you snap the damn thing off you can always get hod of a cheap pair of vice grips and just leave em clamped to whats left of the stem....Stylish
                      They can electroplate them into many custom finishes.

Comment

be careful what you use acetone on. it will eat plastic

Comment

There is ANOTHER option if you end up stripping the screw. They're called Knipex Cobra water pump pliers. If you can find a set of them you will swear by them. These are the best tool out of all my hand tools because they are tough, well made & extremely versatile. Becauase these things grip so well, I have grabbed the heads of stripped screws and twisted them out before. These things are pricey - about twice the cost of your average channel lock brand pliers, but they are worth every penny.

Comment

use a cloth soaked in coke, you might laugh but over night it works better than anything else plus there is no dammage to tiles or anything else and is safe for the kiddies. i have used coke a few times on motorcycle patrs when i ned to save the gasket.
                            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                            X