Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement Shower Drain Advice

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
    That is deffinetly an emergency floor drain fitting and placement confirms. Emergency drains have 0 dfu value and are only for emergencies so probably was not vented except as part of the main stack. SO DIY, you must replace the drain fitting which the trap is integral to the old one, so you will need to dig a little deeper and install a new trap as well. No permits right, don't worry about the vent and the inspector (not) won't say anything about covering up your stack cleanout. Unless the stack was going to be a visible part of your shower?

BTW have your main sewer line cabled at least before you close it all up.
    So what you are saying is this drain is connected to the storm/ground water system.
    If it's tied to the waste,it needs a trap.If it has a trap,it needs a vent.

Comment

No. it's probably connected to the waste. If it is a floor drain, it is not required to be vented.
      sigpic

Comment

It is connected to the waste, but the stack being so close is considered the vent. It's and IPC thing.
        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Isn't the lack of a trap primer a concern.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Trap Primer on a Shower Trap?!?!

Ben, are you alright?
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I skimmed the thread and thought originally we were talking about converting a shower drain into a floor drain for a basement. Upon reviewing the thread, I'm not so sure anymore. Thread drift; gotta love it.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                Trap Primer on a Shower Trap?!?!

Ben, are you alright?

I think Ben mean't if it was a floor drain or emergency drain, UPC say's it still has to be vented.

The only time I have ever run anything without a vent was chemical pipe, I can't remember the whole thing, but I do remember something baout the air riding the top of the pipe, causing it to drain, and if I remember it went to a storage tank.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                  It is connected to the waste, but the stack being so close is considered the vent. It's and IPC thing.
                  Indeed it is plenty close enough to the stack, provided the stack is dry. If there's a floor above and thats a verticle waste stack then the trap will need to be vented.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    I think Ben mean't if it was a floor drain or emergency drain, UPC say's it still has to be vented.
                    Can't save me on this one Robert, I read the thread wrong.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Element,

I will get torn to pieces for this post. You've got a 4" stack not two feet from that drain. I'll bet anything it goes straight up through your roof. There is no FUNCTIONAL need for a separate vent, though I wouldn't doubt code requires it as wet vents are not allowed, at least in some places.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I wonder if that drain is 2", looks like 1.5 to me.

Comment

Ace when you have a drain that close to the stack when you dump from above the lowest connected fixture (floor drain) you will always have the chance of sucking the trap dry. The Y should be connected 10x the pipe diameters down stream from the base of the stack because of the hydraulic jump. The floor drain should be vented by one means or another no matter if it is a emergency floor drain or just a normal floor drain. I think the two should be on in the same in our code books.
                          ________
                          Patriot
                          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM.
                          Mike

Comment

So...I finally got around to using the demolition hammer, kinda fun but I can’t hear now (Note to self buy some freakin ear plugs!).

I'm thinking buy a new donut, hookup new P-trap, install new drain, and patch the hole? Your thoughts?

I'm not going to cover the cleanout access; there will be a small waterproof door of some sort. Just have not determined what that will be yet.

Here are some pics...

The ground is really saturated right now and water seeps into the hole. My sump pump has been workin overtime lately.

This is the sink plumbing and vent, I believe the shower drain may also use this vent. Just my guess and I dont know much.

I have much respect for all you plumbers, y'all do some hard work!

Comment

Here's some constructive criticism, prepare yourself!

Non-bearing studs are supposed to be drilled to tolerance of what
                              passes through it.

That drain is wrong, you have a tee laying on its back and

That capped off extension beyond the waste tee....

what is that?????!!!!!

I'm mentioning this because that setup will have you with constant
                              plumbing problems.
                              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

yea, what Dunbar said.

And do yourself a favor. Stub those water lines out another 6" on the lavy. I don't want to hear you cussing later on when it comes time to put valves on.

Before you frame the shower, take that cleanout plug that has never been out and put a new one back in it's place. It will be easier to remove if you ever have to get to it.
                                Last edited by plumberscrack; 03-15-2008, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X