X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement Shower Drain Advice

lol, I dont doubt that sink setup setup is wrong but that is what I found behind the wall. Your guess is as good as mine. What can I do to clean it up?

Comment

We just assumed that was your handy work. Oops

Take the tee that is laying on it's side and replace it with a elbow. This is assuming the other tee on it's back is a vent and not receiving waste from above.

Comment

I cleaned up all my junk lying around the sink plumbing and took a new picture. Is this what you are suggesting I do?

Comment

The tee-wye is wrong, but in looking closer at the piping...that stubbed PVC also has two water lines parellel that are capped.

What mystery fixture is this for?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            The tee-wye is wrong, but in looking closer at the piping...that stubbed PVC also has two water lines parellel that are capped.

What mystery fixture is this for?

I dont know the purpose of the capped lines. Which tee ya talking about? The vent? What does it need to be replaced with?

Thx

Comment

Yes
              Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

The 2 capped water lines look like water hammer arrestors. No primer on the pvc? Not good. I would seperate the galv. strapping from the copper line. Can't be touching. Don't forget to make on the floor and wall where the lines are so you don't send a nail through anything. Instead of a doughnut, I would cut the CI behind the hub and throw a no hub in to make the connection on new p-trap for the shower(did I get it right Aaron?).
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  The 2 capped water lines look like water hammer arrestors. No primer on the pvc? Not good. I would seperate the galv. strapping from the copper line. Can't be touching. Don't forget to make on the floor and wall where the lines are so you don't send a nail through anything. Instead of a doughnut, I would cut the CI behind the hub and throw a no hub in to make the connection on new p-trap for the shower(did I get it right Aaron?).
                  I think I'll tackle the shower drain first. It sounds easier. Hubs arnt the preferred method eh? Anything I should be aware of before cutting these old pipes?

Comment

I see a lot of cast iron in slabs rotted out on the bottom of the pipe. I'd make sure that short hoizontal piece to the stack is solid before using it. It will be a lot less heartbreaking to find out before you have tile on top of it.

Re the venting discussion that has come up:
                    The 4" stack visible in your photo is almost certainly a soil stack. you can verify this by standing next to it while someone else flushes your toilet upstairs; you will hear the water running down the stack if I am correct. If so, as others have stated, code requires a separate vent on the shower drain line. You may be able to satisfy this requirement by replacing the 2" iron you have (which you may want to replace anyway if it isnt nice and solid) with 3". Others can advise on this better than me. If the 2" pvc we see does in fact join the 2" iron in the slab, that may satisfy the requirement. Again others can advise.

If there is an easy way to vent it, do so. If there is not, you have a decision to make.

I do not believe you will have any functional problems without the vent, just regulatory ones. If you are worried about sucking the trap dry, install the new shower drain and test it before you go any further. Pour a 5 gal bucket into it as fast as it will take it and then check to see the trap is full when done. Then go upstairs and run a bunch of fixtures and flush your toilets and check again. I'll bet a box of doughnuts it'll be fine.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Can anyone verify this is the connection I need if I cut the hub off?
                      https://www.plumbersstock.com/produc...rtNumber=28252

Comment

if you have 2" cast then that is the fitting you need
                        ________
                        Digital Vaporizer
                        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM.
                        Mike

Comment

Alrighty, let the work begin, haha.

It seems like the thin metal on the outside of the coupling would rust away in no time at all.

Comment

It's made of stainless steel
                            ________
                            Og Kush Pictures
                            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM.
                            Mike

Comment

how does this dry fit look?

Comment

Good job.

Just make sure you put the nuts to the clamps vertical to make them easier to tighten down.

Also be sure you back fill properly and support the trap well so the soil doesn't shift and then become back pitched.
                                Last edited by Aaron91; 03-16-2008, 02:09 PM.
                                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                                X