Basement Shower Drain Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement Shower Drain Advice

Ensure the no hub bands are tightened to 60 in lbs. Is this a dry fit? No primer?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ya that was a dry fit. The PVC joints were primed prior to applying the glue, you are talking about that purple stuff right?

I'm gonna tackle the sink plumbing next weekend. Gonna have to read up on working with copper.

Everyone, thx for the help!!!!!!!!

Comment

You guys hafta use purple primer.? We dumped that code 10 years ago, thank god.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          north carolina still requires it...awful stuff.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

THANK YOU...THANK YOU....THANK YOU!!!!
            These guys seemed to think I was some kinda hack when I mentioned that...purple primer...best thing since sliced bread when it comes to brand new lav & kitchen kickspace counters.

Comment

Good show Element

Yes cut off the hub and connect your drain, ptrap and pipe with a Fernco or nohub coupling. If you are using something loud to cut the hub off with, use your new ear plugs.
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

That sick feeling you get when the quart can tip over and spills across the kitchen vinyl flooring.

Besides which, the damn stuff hardens the pipe due to the pigments in it so if you don't glue up fast the joint won't hold. Not to mention how crappy it looks run down exposed pipe.
                sigpic

Comment

That sick feeling you get when the quart can tip over and spills across the kitchen vinyl flooring.
                  If you carry clear pvc primer on your truck, it should make the purple primer go away.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Not on vinyl it don't
                    sigpic

Comment

some sort of primer is still needed?? yes...to prepare the pipe....clear primer??

I use the purple when I need to repair water lines.

I hate PVC anyways, except for DWV, it looks cleaner, if you use the clear primer.....of course.
                      Last edited by westcoastplumber; 03-17-2008, 07:35 PM.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                        If you carry clear pvc primer on your truck, it should make the purple primer go away.
                        Save a step, ditch the purple!
                        It's apples & oranges...none of us get to choose, state code prevails.

Comment

Does anyone know if purple primer is required for those few states that follow the 2003 National Standard?

I needa look into this more. I honestly get a depressing feeling inside me when the primer runs alllll the way down my new clean looking stack.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I'm back haha! I finally finished the drain and reworked all the sink plumbing. But now my work has come to a stop! I’m trying to replace the cleanout plug as someone suggested, I believe pics of it are on the first page.

I can't get the darn thing off! I have used WD40 many times and I beat the hell out of the thing with a wrench and small sledge, didn’t budge. I suppose my last option is to try and chisel it out. Just wondering if anyone might know a few tricks or can point me to a previous thread on the topic? My concern with chiseling is damaging the threads on the CI. Thanks in advance!

Comment

I am not a plumber, so some might have a better idea, but I have replaced a cleanout plug before that I couldnt get to budge by drilling a hole in the center of the plug, and then cutting it like a pie from the center out to the edge, just stopping short of the edge. Then prying on the pieces from the center hole until the pieces broke out.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                                I am not a plumber, so some might have a better idea, but I have replaced a cleanout plug before that I couldnt get to budge by drilling a hole in the center of the plug, and then cutting it like a pie from the center out to the edge, just stopping short of the edge. Then prying on the pieces from the center hole until the pieces broke out.

That sounds logical, I think I'm gonna give it try right now! Thx.

Comment

Working...
                                X