Basement Shower Drain Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Shower Drain Advice

I removed an existing shower that had seen better days. Unfortunately, I found this mess underneath.

The plan is to frame the walls, build shower pan (with an adjustable drain made for tile), hang some masonry board, and throw down some tile.

My problem is the drain; it appears to be an old cast iron P trap. Anyone know of a way/adapter that would allow me to use the existing drain? Tearing up the floor and putting in a new PVC drain is not the end of the world, but I would like to avoid if possible.

Also, if a new drain is needed, what is your ballpark estimate? I got several plumbers coming by next week to give me quotes on the drain work, just wanted to have an idea of what to expect.

What y’all think? Thx in advance!!

Re: Basement Shower Drain Advice

That is a very simple repair once you get through the concrete.

It is best you just take out the old drain and trap, if I was going to live there for a very long time, I would remove the waste arm all the way to the santee, including the santee if it looks horrible.

The initial breaking of the concrete and replacing the trap and installing a hot mop shower drain, rough patch concrete, let the tile guy do the rest would cost in this area between $450.00-$800.00
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I dont plan on being this home too much longer, so I will probably only replace the drain.

Hopefully, this fix will come in closer to the $500 range. I suppose i could tear the concrete out myself to reduce the cost. Seems like 4 saw cuts and sledge hammer would do the trick.

Comment

Living in Iowa you can probably find someone in the 500 dollar or lower range. In CA this job would be higher.
        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

If you don't replace the drain you're not going to be able to provide the membrane material the proper weaping properties to allow for long lasting pan.

Comment

Hey Adam, your fergusons carrying Davke Drains?? I met the creator, I was able to get the fergs down here to stock them, I installed one the other day, it was perfect!!!

What do you think? Solid brass, the customer loved it. You may not have an opinion because it is mainly for service/ repair, but your opinion counts to me.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Save yourself some money and bust up the cement for your plumber if that is what it comes to.

Comment

So....I didnt like any of the estimates I got for this job and now it's a DIY job.

I have been reading various posts on venting. Since this drain connects directly to the main stack, which continues through the roof and vents. I dont have anything to worry about?

I'll take some more pics tomorrow when I pull out the concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Element818 View Post
                  So....I didnt like any of the estimates I got for this job and now it's a DIY job.

I have been reading various posts on venting. Since this drain connects directly to the main stack, which continues through the roof and vents. I dont have anything to worry about?

I'll take some more pics tomorrow when I pull out the concrete.
                  If it has second floor fixtures draining into that stack it's going to have to be updated to having it's own vent.

Comment

By second floor do you mean the level directly over the basement? The house is 1 floor and the basement.

Comment

yeah,it sounds so far like the main stack may have the abilty to suck the water out of the shower trap.Maybe not.

Adam

Comment

If that stack (big pipe with cleanout) recieves the discharge from fittings above (Poo and water from the first floor) it can not be used as a vent.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I never got around to tearing the concrete out. My statistics homework was piling up.

I really hope I find a vented drain under the concrete. The previous shower was there for like 30 years and didn’t appear to have any issue in regards to the trap being sucked dry. If I don’t find a vent, it is real tempting to just install a new drain and call it a day.

Do basement floor drains usually not have vents?
                          Last edited by Element818; 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM. Reason: my grammer sux

Comment

Originally posted by Element818 View Post
                            Well I never got around to tearing the concrete out. My statistics homework was piling up.

I really hope I find a vented drain under the concrete. The previous shower was there for like 30 years and didn’t appear to have any issue in regards to the trap being sucked dry. If I don’t find a vent, it is real tempting to just install a new drain and call it a day.

Do basement floor drains usually not have vents?
                            They should have one.

Comment

That is deffinetly an emergency floor drain fitting and placement confirms. Emergency drains have 0 dfu value and are only for emergencies so probably was not vented except as part of the main stack. SO DIY, you must replace the drain fitting which the trap is integral to the old one, so you will need to dig a little deeper and install a new trap as well. No permits right, don't worry about the vent and the inspector (not) won't say anything about covering up your stack cleanout. Unless the stack was going to be a visible part of your shower?

BTW have your main sewer line cabled at least before you close it all up.
                              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                              X