X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool for Gerber tub drains

I'm replacing some waste & overflows at my 6 plex. They are 1978 brass Gerbers. They dont have the crossbars at the bottom like the new ones do, they have 2 notches cut 180 degrees from each other. What do you guys do to spin these things out?

Re: Tool for Gerber tub drains

My tub drain tool also known as a dumb bell can tighten/loosen those.

Some Kohler drains have the same notch's you are talking about.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-154489/Detail

Sorry for the hairy homeowner site, but that's what I'm referring too.

If that doesn't work, and your in a crunch, take a 1-1/2" chrome metal tail piece, and cut the notch's out accordingly, and this home made tool should atleast be able to get 1-2 drains out before breaking.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Dumbbell wrench with a screwdriver or chisel drove into the grooved side, basin wrench turned up with a pipe wrench grabbing the bar.

Pulls them out every time.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Yea that dumbell wrench will work great on the first or second drain before it strips out ...then what?

Ridgid makes the tool you want I think it's #342? internal pipe wrench

5 different sizes on one tool. $50 but it will get you out of a jam

http://www.drillspot.com/products/38...al_Pipe_Wrench

Comment

I've had the aluminum tub strainer "dumbell" wrenches strip on those..I made a 1-1/4" piece of black mallable with notches cut on opposite sides with a sawzall that does the trick on stubborn corroded tub strainers.
          You might come into that problem.

Comment

I use a dumbell wrench and a small ridgid pipe wrench, Gerber, your pretty safe, but some of those drains break off inside, then I crawl under the house and use my Sawzall, the Porter Cable 1 Million different direction one, and cut between the tub and the shoe, where the gasket is.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

When I'm cutting them out, I use a Dremel with a carbide blade. I cut a line just below the flange, all the way around, and the flanged end pops off, then I can screwdriver out the threads. If they're heavy brass, I saw nearly through them first. In many cases, i'm replacing the W&O anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                I use a dumbell wrench and a small ridgid pipe wrench, Gerber, your pretty safe, but some of those drains break off inside, then I crawl under the house and use my Sawzall, the Porter Cable 1 Million different direction one, and cut between the tub and the shoe, where the gasket is.
                Man..I really, really HATE when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                  When I'm cutting them out, I use a Dremel with a carbide blade. I cut a line just below the flange, all the way around, and the flanged end pops off, then I can screwdriver out the threads. If they're heavy brass, I saw nearly through them first. In many cases, i'm replacing the W&O anyway.

I have a Dremel, it is sitting in the garage, I could never get the hang of it, but I will look at this as another possibility. Maybe I need carbide blades, I only had those stupid drill bit ones that came with it

great idea herk.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

They make small diamond disc blades at harbor freight as well for dremel tools.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Always wear goggles or eye protection - those carbide cutter wheels can fly apart very quickly and stick in your eyeball. It really doesn't take long to cut the rim off the strainer, even if it's heavy brass, and if you're careful you can do it with a single wheel. I also use the same tool to cut loose faucets or just about anything metal.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                        Dumbbell wrench with a screwdriver or chisel drove into the grooved side, basin wrench turned up with a pipe wrench grabbing the bar.

Pulls them out every time.
                        Man I need pictures of that!

I'm with Herk ,only I cut them out with a hack saw blade or lenox small hack saw. Shore is a pain in the A$$. Show me a picture and I'll be trying it.

Comment

Ruudaguy, don't listen to these amateurs

That 1978 era Gerber tub shoe is no match for the Ridgid #342 internal wrench

I work on some of the oldest tubs in this country and have yet to cut one out with a chisel or fancy Dremel since I bought the Ridgid.

Comment

I updated this thread a couple weeks ago just before the board crashed. Does anyone have my reply embedded in an email notification that they could cut and paste for me?

Comment

Working...
                            X