• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blockage

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    DUCKFEATHURS!!!!!

Robert you traitor

What am I trading too? I am curious, cause if the plumber said it will cost you $1,000 for me to clean and camera your sewer, I will use the camera to tell me where the bad spots are, and then I will use my machine to clear up the problems, and I will continue to do this for $1,000, and if this took the plumber 2 hrs, 1 hr, 5 hrs, then oh well, it would be a quoted price, and this may be plumbers price to do this.

Get my point or do I need to be clearer???
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I've been near $1000 on some root jobs, but this was in 200+' clay services with major wads every 4' and no cleanouts. This guy describes a single problem area 14' out...1 hr tops even from a toilet including making a video.

But to get back on topic...

LUL, If I understand you correctly you have a root problem in a single spot 14' from a toilet. I assume pulling the toilet is your access. 14' is very close; almost any machine will carry enough torque to do the job at 14'. I think 1/2" inner core cable would do fine, no need for 3/4" at that distance, 3/8" would require some finesse. Others will recommend a sectional over a drum machine (different kind of cable...they will tell you what size if you want to go that way) that'll be fine too. Get a decent size cutter head, as big as you can fit in the line. Pro machines are not hugely expensive, but not exactly cheap either. And you can hurt the cable and yourself pretty easily without experience. Unless what you paid is fair in your area, you'd probably be better off paying someone to do it for you.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        I've been near $1000 on some root jobs, but this was in 200+' clay services with major wads every 4' and no cleanouts. This guy describes a single problem area 14' out...1 hr tops even from a toilet including making a video.

But to get back on topic...

LUL, If I understand you correctly you have a root problem in a single spot 14' from a toilet. I assume pulling the toilet is your access. 14' is very close; almost any machine will carry enough torque to do the job at 14'. I think 1/2" inner core cable would do fine, no need for 3/4" at that distance, 3/8" would require some finesse. Others will recommend a sectional over a drum machine (different kind of cable...they will tell you what size if you want to go that way) that'll be fine too. Get a decent size cutter head, as big as you can fit in the line. Pro machines are not hugely expensive, but not exactly cheap either. And you can hurt the cable and yourself pretty easily without experience. Unless what you paid is fair in your area, you'd probably be better off paying someone to do it for you.
        i agree with you too

the least expensive investment here is to buy a couple of sections of innercore 7/8'' or 1.25'' and a couple of cutters. then get a coupling you can adapt to a 1/2'' 300-600 rpm chuck. slide the cable and cutters to the 14' spot and let it rip. total investment without drill under $200.00

this is how gene and i work our large sectional cables.

the sectional cables come in different lengths. i have 4' , 7.5', 10' and 15' sections. any combination will keep the outside slack to a minimum.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

The fees described in this thread although seeming outrageous are closer to what we all should be charging. At least those of us in heavily populated areas, where plumbers are a commodity. Camera equipment to view, locate and record plus a good drain cleaning machine justify these charges. The plumber called out was probably from the large add section of the yellow pages( unfortunately probably under trained). However I would think a well trained plumber would have taken somewhere in between 3 to 5 hours to do the work. Of course this is to remove the toilet clean the line camera and reset plus drive time. I do not know the area however if its anything like San Diego he could have spent over an hour to just get there. When was the last time a doctor showed up at your door with a hospital on wheels. If you really think about what we do as plumbing professionals it is amazing. We clean out sewer lines with precision and knowledge. Then, we scope and view old sewer lines many feet under the ground. And of course provide a detailed account of what wrong and the cost of fixing it. Last time my doctor did Anything similar it cost me thousands and took weeks . Just my two scents....... Please ,I do not want to start any debates
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Ace sewer"I've been near $1000 on some root jobs, but this was in 200+' clay services with major wads every 4' and no clean outs. This guy describes a single problem area 14' out...1 hr tops even from a toilet including making a video."

Driving there ,meeting the customer, filling out contract,laying down plastic sheeting, unloading and setting up equipment, pulling the toilet, snaking the line through closet bend, moving equipment to make room for camera equipment, or setting up ladder and bringing equipment on roof, resetting the toilet, cleaning and reloading drain machine, cleaning and reloading camera equipment,clean bathroom, caulk toilet, and of course multiple trips to the truck removing and putting on booties every time you leave and enter the home, explaining in detail to the customer there problem, and of course receiving payment.1 HOUR I SAY BULLSHT. You must be super drain cleaning man some kind of a freak of nature or a complete slob.
            Last edited by Crappy days; 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I believe this is what Rick is talking about, for powering the cable, I believe the adaptor is a custom made item, I would think one could buy a repair end and have a welder weld up a shaft on it.

I copyed this picture from the site in the past when a simular discusion was taking place.
              Attached Files
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My gosh.. this picture comes up over and over. I actually forwarded this on to some of the people around the building. Definitely not safe but creative.

As WC said. There is no way of knowing the whole story without the plumber describing the situation. Ya never know what all was involved. Sounds a bit steep but we dont know the story.

lets not turn this into one of "those" discussion. If ya know what I mean. i think we should have a formal debate on FLvHrly at the RIDGID Roundup. That may be more dangerous than letting people work with heavy machinery

Josh

Comment

I am highly offended that you people pass around pics of my poor Edith like she's some piece of meat or some kind of common tramp. She may be dirty and constantly screwing my big snake, but she is to be respected.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    My gosh.. this picture comes up over and over. I actually forwarded this on to some of the people around the building. Definitely not safe but creative.

As WC said. There is no way of knowing the whole story without the plumber describing the situation. Ya never know what all was involved. Sounds a bit steep but we dont know the story.

lets not turn this into one of "those" discussion. If ya know what I mean. i think we should have a formal debate on FLvHrly at the RIDGID Roundup. That may be more dangerous than letting people work with heavy machinery

Josh

What is the Ridgid Roundup.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                      What is the Ridgid Roundup.
                      the ridgid roundup is my phrase that is short for

watch plumber rick and his k-60 sectional, smoke the drum machine guys in a heads up competition.

basically it's an unofficial at this time, open house gathering at the ridgid plant. a free for all with a little grudge match to boot.

so crappy, are you taking the drum side or the sectional side since you now swing both ways

remember not every drain is an easy access on the ground. also we are allowed only 1 machine with a full assortment of cables. 1.5'' -6'' lines.

it was my idea in the first place and it's my rules.

you guys make up your own contest with your own rules.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        the ridgid roundup is my phrase that is short for

watch plumber rick and his k-60 sectional, smoke the drum machine guys in a heads up competition.

basically it's an unofficial at this time, open house gathering at the ridgid plant. a free for all with a little grudge match to boot.

so crappy, are you taking the drum side or the sectional side since you now swing both ways

remember not every drain is an easy access on the ground. also we are allowed only 1 machine with a full assortment of cables. 1.5'' -6'' lines.

it was my idea in the first place and it's my rules.

you guys make up your own contest with your own rules.

rick.
                        If these are the rules, then I would have to take the K 60. I believe it would be the best over all machine for speed of cable change weight and safety.

Comment

If these are the rules, then I would have to take the K 60. I believe it would be the best over all machine for speed of cable change weight and safety.
                          i knew 1 day i would like you

today is that day

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Ace sewer"I've been near $1000 on some root jobs, but this was in 200+' clay services with major wads every 4' and no clean outs. This guy describes a single problem area 14' out...1 hr tops even from a toilet including making a video."

Driving there ,meeting the customer, filling out contract,laying down plastic sheeting, unloading and setting up equipment, pulling the toilet, snaking the line through closet bend, moving equipment to make room for camera equipment, or setting up ladder and bringing equipment on roof, resetting the toilet, cleaning and reloading drain machine, cleaning and reloading camera equipment,clean bathroom, caulk toilet, and of course multiple trips to the truck removing and putting on booties every time you leave and enter the home, explaining in detail to the customer there problem, and of course receiving payment.1 HOUR I SAY BULLSHT. You must be super drain cleaning man some kind of a freak of nature or a complete slob.
                            Drive time not included; I don't bill for drive time unless I'm doing a command performance outside my regular area. We are not yet congested enough that it is a major factor.

Meet the customer for me consists of 'Hi I'm Alex. Show me which bathroom." Most of the time they already know me; it's a property manager I've done dozens of jobs for in the past.

I don't have a contract to fill out... I write them an invoice at the end.

I don't do plastic sheeting; a cloth for where I put the toilet, one for the snake so I dont mark the floor. I'm assuming a tile bath floor. If I have miles of carpet to get there, everything gets staged in the entryway in 2-3 trips to van, then the boots come off and I carry it to my safe tiled zone in the bathroom. I go back to the van only for the rare unexpected.

What's the big deal with snaking thru a closet bend? Why do people regard this as difficult? It's the second best access you'll ever get. Forget the roof. Why would I crawl up there when I can pop a toilet off in 5-10min? Sheesh! Rick says he will snake THROUGH the TOILET.

Cleaning the machine and camera consist of wiping the cables with a rag as they go back into my closed reels, then don't be lazy, CARRY it out so the wheels don't mark the carpet and show some care not to drip.

Set toilet? 3-5 min. I don't caulk toilets. I state this before pulling them. I've never understood the reason for it. Also I'm just not going to cary 60 tubes of caulk to cover the raiinbow so they can freeze or get old and hard in the van. If they want it caulked badly enough to pay me I will do it in white; I carry white. If it is a high end place and they just have to have the matching sanded 'camel' caulk, I will buy some and come back and the bill will go up.

Receiving payment consists of writing my invoice as they write their check or telling them to mail a check. It's different in a small community. I got burned for a total of $50 in all of '07.

I am not a slob. I leave every place as clean or clean than when I enter. A big point for me and why I have the property managers I do is that when they call me, housekeeping doesn't have to follow unless their own maintenance people have been there and made a mess before me.

Sorry if I got defensive.... I'll choose to consider myself a freak of nature, and take it as a compliment
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

You're not being defensive,you're venting.Keeps you looking young.

Unfortunately you should not be doing plumbing if you don't follow code(I'm smiling,you should be too).We are required to caulk,if not only for sanitary reasons but it is in our code.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Josh
                                Have you any formal medical training?
                                Will there be a medic on duty?

Comment

Working...
                                X