Re: Blockage

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Have you any formal medical training?
    Will there be a medic on duty?
    You have just insulted GREG.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Drive time not included; I don't bill for drive time unless I'm doing a command performance outside my regular area. We are not yet congested enough that it is a major factor.

Meet the customer for me consists of 'Hi I'm Alex. Show me which bathroom." Most of the time they already know me; it's a property manager I've done dozens of jobs for in the past.

I don't have a contract to fill out... I write them an invoice at the end.

I don't do plastic sheeting; a cloth for where I put the toilet, one for the snake so I dont mark the floor. I'm assuming a tile bath floor. If I have miles of carpet to get there, everything gets staged in the entryway in 2-3 trips to van, then the boots come off and I carry it to my safe tiled zone in the bathroom. I go back to the van only for the rare unexpected.

What's the big deal with snaking thru a closet bend? Why do people regard this as difficult? It's the second best access you'll ever get. Forget the roof. Why would I crawl up there when I can pop a toilet off in 5-10min? Sheesh! Rick says he will snake THROUGH the TOILET.

Cleaning the machine and camera consist of wiping the cables with a rag as they go back into my closed reels, then don't be lazy, CARRY it out so the wheels don't mark the carpet and show some care not to drip.

Set toilet? 3-5 min. I don't caulk toilets. I state this before pulling them. I've never understood the reason for it. Also I'm just not going to cary 60 tubes of caulk to cover the raiinbow so they can freeze or get old and hard in the van. If they want it caulked badly enough to pay me I will do it in white; I carry white. If it is a high end place and they just have to have the matching sanded 'camel' caulk, I will buy some and come back and the bill will go up.

Receiving payment consists of writing my invoice as they write their check or telling them to mail a check. It's different in a small community. I got burned for a total of $50 in all of '07.

I am not a slob. I leave every place as clean or clean than when I enter. A big point for me and why I have the property managers I do is that when they call me, housekeeping doesn't have to follow unless their own maintenance people have been there and made a mess before me.

Sorry if I got defensive.... I'll choose to consider myself a freak of nature, and take it as a compliment
      Sorry if I got defensive.... I'll choose to consider myself a freak of nature, and take it as a compliment[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to insult you or anyone else. However if I performed work the way you described my customers would find someone else. Of course property manager's are a different story , most of them just want someone cheap. The fact they are using a drain cleaning company over a plumbing outfit shows this. I am not saying you are bad at what you do . Its just facts are stubborn things. Where I live drain cleaners are not licensed the same way or required to have the same insurance as plumbers have. Most of the drain cleaners here in San Diego charge almost half what plumbers do. The property manager's call me after to fix the things the drain cleaner broke or could not fix. I also want to project a different image then throwing a towel under the drain machine and taking my boots off. I am sure you are well trained as far as drain cleaning however the majority of guys out here are not. They are young guys making 12 or 15 bucks an hour. Where I live drain cleaners are not allowed to charge anything over 500.00 dollars per job. So most of them would not charge those prices either. They are looking more to clear and go, all day long . Hopefully billing 500.00 dollars for the day. This way they can pay the kid that works for them and make a few bucks to.
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Drive time not included; I don't bill for drive time unless I'm doing a command performance outside my regular area. We are not yet congested enough that it is a major factor.

Meet the customer for me consists of 'Hi I'm Alex. Show me which bathroom." Most of the time they already know me; it's a property manager I've done dozens of jobs for in the past.

I don't have a contract to fill out... I write them an invoice at the end.

I don't do plastic sheeting; a cloth for where I put the toilet, one for the snake so I dont mark the floor. I'm assuming a tile bath floor. If I have miles of carpet to get there, everything gets staged in the entryway in 2-3 trips to van, then the boots come off and I carry it to my safe tiled zone in the bathroom. I go back to the van only for the rare unexpected.

What's the big deal with snaking thru a closet bend? Why do people regard this as difficult? It's the second best access you'll ever get. Forget the roof. Why would I crawl up there when I can pop a toilet off in 5-10min? Sheesh! Rick says he will snake THROUGH the TOILET.
        when i know it is only baby wipes and the line is full of waste water. it has been done and i am very selective of where i use this technique.

Cleaning the machine and camera consist of wiping the cables with a rag as they go back into my closed reels, then don't be lazy, CARRY it out so the wheels don't mark the carpet and show some care not to drip.

Set toilet? 3-5 min. I don't caulk toilets. I state this before pulling them. I've never understood the reason for it. Also I'm just not going to cary 60 tubes of caulk to cover the raiinbow so they can freeze or get old and hard in the van. If they want it caulked badly enough to pay me I will do it in white; I carry white. If it is a high end place and they just have to have the matching sanded 'camel' caulk, I will buy some and come back and the bill will go up.

Receiving payment consists of writing my invoice as they write their check or telling them to mail a check. It's different in a small community. I got burned for a total of $50 in all of '07.

I am not a slob. I leave every place as clean or clean than when I enter. A big point for me and why I have the property managers I do is that when they call me, housekeeping doesn't have to follow unless their own maintenance people have been there and made a mess before me.

Sorry if I got defensive.... I'll choose to consider myself a freak of nature, and take it as a compliment

ace, 1 hour is extremely fast, but i guess it could be done. when i camera, i make a tape and mark my locations. i also discuss this with the owner. so i would have a hard time doing it your way in an hour. even typing and printing my invoices on the job takes 5 minutes.

now if i had a choice of pulling the toilet or going down a 3'' or 4'' vent from a single story house. i would do the roof. nothing to protect and clean up. plus a whole lot more area to work with than a cramped bathroom.

with only a 14' run from within the bathroom, it's more time consuming doing the prep than the actual cleaning of the pipe.

by the way, any and all fixtures in contact with another surface requires caulking to that surface. it's required and necessary for the health of the homeowner. imagine all the misses that get under the toilet or other fixtures. not to mention the fact that it also helps with rocking on an unleveled floor.

it's been discussed in detail on another thread. you should get in the habit of caulking. i carry white, almond and clear. this works for 95% of all my work. anything like custom colors and sanded caulking, i get the owner to supply if they want it.

by the way, i charge less than 1/2 of what was posted. but i can't get out in an hour with all the equipment. 1.5 hours would be realistic for me with the k-60, seesnake, ladder, cords and billing.

keep up the good work, and keep up the good posting

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I think my distaste for the roof vent as access and yall's preference for it may be due to location; your roofs and yards don't have snow. Imagine having to posthole through hip deep snow for 20' to set your ladder. Then try not to let the ice dam you knock loose catch your head on the way down. There is a foot of snow on the roof too, with ice underneath it, deeper at the eaves with the ice concentrated there. I don't use them in summer either, but it's probably just habit; I'm used to pulling toilets.

I bet I can chain up my tires faster than any of you so cal types.

Do you caulk a toilet to the plywood subfloor in a carpeted bath? I've never seen that, ever. The caulk gives a nice finished look, and it hides a shim, and it would be better to do this. But no-one has ever complained, and at a rough guess maybe 25% (at most) are caulked down when I get there. And I suck at caulk. And in all honesty if this is the greatest fault someone can find with my work, I'm proud.

I have found for almost all customers, especially especially especially property managers, price is a tertiary concideration at best; quality work and response come first. Guest servive is the key and response and no comebacks are part of that. By the time they call me they are already on their heels on guest service and I can come in and change the whole dynamic for them.

P.S. Why are booties better than shucking my boots? My socks are as clean as everyone else's who walks through that house. Is it just perception? Am I more professional if I spend a half hour taping platic sheeting to the floor for no actual benefit? I hope not. I hope I'm better and more professional if I can achieve the same results without billing them that half hour.

And a final P.S...... Yes, I am venting. I think probably VENTING. Thank you for enduring it. Spring is close. It's been a busy busy winter on top of 6 weeks of giardia and relationship troubles and I'm nearly spent and I need a need break. But I stand by that 1 hour. I'll be longer if the day allows it, but if I'm jamming and someone is waiting, 1 hour, thorough job, clean site, happy customer, no caulk.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

It is definitely perception . When you enter a 5 million dollar home greeted by a women with boobs and a ring that cost more than your truck. Well you know what I'm getting at.
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
              It is definitely perception . When you enter a 5 million dollar home greeted by a women with boobs and a ring that cost more than your truck. Well you know what I'm getting at.
              These middle class people can be real premadonas.It's like they think they have a larger amount of money.

It's fun the way my voice echoes yelling for the homeowners in some of those hallways and chambers.

Has anyone ever heard the maid speak

Comment

I think my distaste for the roof vent as access and yall's preference for it may be due to location; your roofs and yards don't have snow. Imagine having to posthole through hip deep snow for 20' to set your ladder. Then try not to let the ice dam you knock loose catch your head on the way down. There is a foot of snow on the roof too, with ice underneath it, deeper at the eaves with the ice concentrated there. I don't use them in summer either, but it's probably just habit; I'm used to pulling toilets.

I bet I can chain up my tires faster than any of you so cal types.

Especially since I often have to chain all four because of the trailers I am pulling.

Do you caulk a toilet to the plywood subfloor in a carpeted bath? I've never seen that, ever. The caulk gives a nice finished look, and it hides a shim, and it would be better to do this. But no-one has ever complained, and at a rough guess maybe 25% (at most) are caulked down when I get there. And I suck at caulk. And in all honesty if this is the greatest fault someone can find with my work, I'm proud.

I caulk all water closets regardless of finish because it is required by Code.

I have found for almost all customers, especially especially especially property managers, price is a tertiary concideration at best; quality work and response come first. Guest servive is the key and response and no comebacks are part of that. By the time they call me they are already on their heels on guest service and I can come in and change the whole dynamic for them.

P.S. Why are booties better than shucking my boots? My socks are as clean as everyone else's who walks through that house. Is it just perception? Am I more professional if I spend a half hour taping platic sheeting to the floor for no actual benefit? I hope not. I hope I'm better and more professional if I can achieve the same results without billing them that half hour.

The booties prevent your sweaty feet from leaving prints on hardwood and marble floors. I don't use plastic sheeting only cloth runners.

And a final P.S...... Yes, I am venting. I think probably VENTING. Thank you for enduring it. Spring is close. It's been a busy busy winter on top of 6 weeks of giardia and relationship troubles and I'm nearly spent and I need a need break. But I stand by that 1 hour. I'll be longer if the day allows it, but if I'm jamming and someone is waiting, 1 hour, thorough job, clean site, happy customer, no caulk.
                Mark

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Do you caulk a toilet to the plywood subfloor in a carpeted bath? I've never seen that, ever. The caulk gives a nice finished look, and it hides a shim, and it would be better to do this. But no-one has ever complained, and at a rough guess maybe 25% (at most) are caulked down when I get there. And I suck at caulk. And in all honesty if this is the greatest fault someone can find with my work, I'm proud. .
                  all sounds good until you leave without caulking.

i too love it when there is no caulking when i arrive. sometimes the caulking will pull loose tile. but it's required and i do it.

i take it that you have never worked new construction with plumbing inspectors looking at your work?

all your lacking is a $1.50 worth of caulking and a $2.00 sponge. try it on a clean floor and you'll see how easy and clean it is. 1 tube of caulking will usually do 4 toilets on a clean level floor. so that works out to less than 40 cents a toilet. the sponge will last for months if you don't get it too dirty.

that seems to be the consensus here. the booties i have, but i too remove my shoes and it's never an issue. plus booties over a size 12.5/13 boot is a pain to put on and off.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I caulk every toilet I can. It's not just a good idea - it's the law! :-)

Some tips for bad caulkers:

Use the least amount of caulk that is practical. Cut your tip just large enough to get the seal-piercing tool through it. Push the caulk ahead of you. Make sure the floor is dry and clean as possible.

Use your finger, preferably with nitrile gloves on, to force the caulk into the gap. Then have a paper rag or something to wipe off excess from the finger. Don't try to simply use the rag because you're just smearing it along.

I carry a box of Scott towels with me at all times for cleanup.

Most of mine are vinyl in poor shape. Occasionally I get tile. I carry two colors - white and clear - which work in most cases. If I ran into one that needed almond or something, I'd go get it. On a dark charcoal tile, clear is probably best.

We do not, nor are we required to, caulk on a plywood floor with carpet. My personal thought about carpet in the bathroom is: "What the hell were they thinking?"

One of my funniest moments was when a general contractor insisted on supplying the toilet. White carpet. The flushing rim leaked all around the outside and he had to go get a replacement. It made a nifty fountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post

Address please.

I can lose weight, I know I can.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

RESOLVED!

I purchased the K400 machine and went at it this morning, I hit the root blockage about 14ft down. I worked the machine carefully for about 15 mins and ultimately extracted an enormous rootball.

Comment

I am trying to upload picture of roots but the file keeps failing to attach.

Comment

Originally posted by lul View Post
                            RESOLVED!

I purchased the K400 machine and went at it this morning, I hit the root blockage about 14ft down. I worked the machine carefully for about 15 mins and ultimately extracted an enormous rootball.
                            i hope you have the 1/2'' cable in the machine and not the 3/8'' cable

when was the last time your line was cleaned by the pro?

at this point, i would stay on top of root-x to keep the roots at bay. cutting roots is like a bonsai effect. they keep coming back stronger and larger. root-x kills the roots.

as far as posting photos. i'm no expert but if you email me, i can post a thumbnail.
                            zeljka/ mrswestcoast can post a real photo spread.

try her too

good job on the roots. makes it all worth it now

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

congratulations, Now about that drill adapter ,Josh. In the 1960s I was a Marine Helo Mech.
                              SH -34J Sikorski. Some of the bolts on the main transmission were almost impossible to get at. A clever Marin ,heated and bent,welded up 2 wrenches ,Wow ,worked great! A Sikorski Engineer heard of this.Came out to our base,manufactured them for all. Cpl. made Sgt. Maybe It's time to visit the troops in the field ,Col.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                                congratulations, Now about that drill adapter ,Josh. In the 1960s I was a Marine Helo Mech.
                                SH -34J Sikorski. Some of the bolts on the main transmission were almost impossible to get at. A clever Marin ,heated and bent,welded up 2 wrenches ,Wow ,worked great! A Sikorski Engineer heard of this.Came out to our base,manufactured them for all. Cpl. made Sgt. Maybe It's time to visit the troops in the field ,Col.
                                maybe it time the troops visit the factory

see you at the ridgid roundup. bring all your toys as my toy of choice is no secret

maybe we can have a show and tell there. not a bad way to share thoughts and maybe a way to introduce a new tool to the boss man.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X