X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockage

I have light root blockage approx 14 feet down my toilet. I know this because I paid 500 to have the roots cut out last year and another 500 for the video. I am thinking of trying the k400 machine to try and remove the blockage, I used RootX approximately 1 month ago and am hoping the roots are dead. When I flush the toilet the water will pass, unfortunately it backs up momentarily into the Bar sink on the floor below the toilet. The water will have drained by the time I run downstairs to check the Bar sink. If I am careful and have already used RootX to kill/soften up the roots, is this really a bad idea? the roots that were removed last year were less than 1/8 inch diameter. Thank you for your help.

Re: Blockage

A 1000 bucks for snake and camera? Thats WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH.
    From what I understand of Root X (I have just started using it) it takes about 8mths to kill and remove the roots.
    You should have snaked the bulk of the roots then applied the Root X within 2hrs. If you miss the 2hr window then you should wait up to 8 weeks before applying Root X. This is due to the fact that when you cut the roots the tree sends a type of acid to protect its root system from further damage. As long as this acid is in the roots root X is ineffective. It takes about 6-8 weeks for this acid to dissipate.
    You have kind of put the cart before the horse. You should have snaked before applying Root X.
    I think in this case you should snake out the roots and wait 8 weeks then apply Root X again.
    I don't know about using a k400 for roots. I'd think it's a bit weak for that task but wait for other opinions as I have never used one.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I had the roots removed approximately 10mos before using the RootX. Thank you for your prompt response. I have since ordered more RootX, the goal was to try and break up the roots with the K400 as it has been 6weeks since the last RootX treatment. Yes, the fee's here in Arlington VA for plumbing are fairly outrageous. I received more than 1 quote prior to hiring the plumber who did the work.

Comment

Originally posted by lul View Post
        I had the roots removed approximately 10mos before using the RootX. Thank you for your prompt response. I have since ordered more RootX, the goal was to try and break up the roots with the K400 as it has been 6weeks since the last RootX treatment. Yes, the fee's here in Arlington VA for plumbing are fairly outrageous. I received more than 1 quote prior to hiring the plumber who did the work.

Ya that price is high, but if you did your homework, and thats the going rate out there, i guess it is what it is. A K400 would not be my choice of machine to cut roots, or even poke a hole thru them. A K60 or even a K750 would be the 2 choices i would use if your going to be buying a machine. If its been 10mos, then applying Root X now would not be a bad i idea, but keep in mind it still will take time for it to kick in and work. I would get it snaked either with one of the 2 machines i mentioned above, or have someone come out to just snake the line and then add the rootx right after.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Ya that price is high, but if you did your homework, and thats the going rate out there, i guess it is what it is. A K400 would not be my choice of machine to cut roots, or even poke a hole thru them. A K60 or even a K750 would be the 2 choices i would use if your going to be buying a machine. If its been 10mos, then applying Root X now would not be a bad i idea, but keep in mind it still will take time for it to kick in and work. I would get it snaked either with one of the 2 machines i mentioned above, or have someone come out to just snake the line and then add the rootx right after.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

my other reply was wiped out. Not my fault this time but either way it is in the Internet abyss.
            It pretty much went like this: BLAH BLAH $1000. Blah blah I charge $250 for same service blah blah blah maybe I should expand my coverage area to include VA. blah blah
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

my other reply was wiped out. Not my fault this time but either way it is in the Internet abyss.
              It pretty much went like this: BLAH BLAH $1000. Blah blah I charge $250 for same service blah blah blah maybe I should expand my coverage area to include VA. blah blah

Comment

Lul,

Next time you feel like want to spend $1000 on a stoppage/video I will make myself available to you and drive accross the Memorial Bridge

Actually there are a few locals that I can recommend if you need another service. I believe their prices would be less than what you spent.

You in north or south Arlington? I'm near Potomac Yard

Comment

It's a circle...
                  I see what drain cleaners & camera co's charge I think, "I gotta get into this"...I see how much the equipment is I think, "Whoa...thats alotta drains I'd hafta clean to make it back".

Comment

maybe lul hired a guy with the initials ST

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      It's a circle...
                      I see what drain cleaners & camera co's charge I think, "I gotta get into this"...I see how much the equipment is I think, "Whoa...thats alotta drains I'd hafta clean to make it back".
                      Unless your a graduate of "SYLVAN U"

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Unless your a graduate of "SYLVAN U"
                        He PM'd me something right before being banned...and I hope I'm not violating confidence here, nor thought of as "aiding and abetting".
                        He works solo now.
                        The prices he was citing were from NYC back when he had a shop doing commerical work.
                        He had a full crew back then...he makes almost as much now, working alone, as he did back then...charging the prices he was mentioning in NYC.
                        He made a few mistakes on this forum...but I'm not so sure that his prices were one of them.

For those of you who work commercial, you know the prices are a completely different ballpark than fixing a lil' old lady's toilet.

I'd ask anyone who's a roofer to chime in here on the costs of liability for that business...then imagine the cost of liability for roof drains on commercial high-rises in a major metropolis with millions in computers & equipment below.

He made mistakes...beit racism, audacity, sheer obnoxiousness or bad breath, but I think there might have been some confusion between him bragging about how much he made and mentioning how much he charged.
                        I could be wrong.
                        IF I missed a detail, it's prolly cause the guy would type the history of Rome on every post and my time is limited to posts with less than ...say, a stack of bibles.

Comment

Now, come on guys, we don't know the whole story, we cannot comment on the price if we do not know a few things first..

1- did the plumber go through the closet bend
                          2- did the plumber work the cable and camera, multiple times, for multiple hours to provide a root free sewer, or was it just one pass?
                          3- did the plumber at any time get stuck?
                          4- how long was the plumber on the job?

Now, after having all those questions answered, if the plumber made a pass with a cable, from a c/o, and ran a camera, and was only there for an hour or 2, then possibly the plumber overcharged. we have a tendancy to make comments before we actually know all the answers, I too admit I am guilty of this.

Rootx should have been installed within 1 hr of the drain cleaning and allowed to set for as long as possible.

I would recommend you either hire a refered plumber to complete the cleaning and the rootx treatment, or if you feel your last plumber treated you right, without our opinions, because we do not know the whole situation, then use him.

I would not invest the money in the type of machine you need to do the job that needs to be done.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            Now, come on guys, we don't know the whole story, we cannot comment on the price if we do not know a few things first..

1- did the plumber go through the closet bend
                            2- did the plumber work the cable and camera, multiple times, for multiple hours to provide a root free sewer, or was it just one pass?
                            3- did the plumber at any time get stuck?
                            4- how long was the plumber on the job?

Now, after having all those questions answered, if the plumber made a pass with a cable, from a c/o, and ran a camera, and was only there for an hour or 2, then possibly the plumber overcharged. we have a tendancy to make comments before we actually know all the answers, I too admit I am guilty of this.

Rootx should have been installed within 1 hr of the drain cleaning and allowed to set for as long as possible.

I would recommend you either hire a refered plumber to complete the cleaning and the rootx treatment, or if you feel your last plumber treated you right, without our opinions, because we do not know the whole situation, then use him.

I would not invest the money in the type of machine you need to do the job that needs to be done.
                            DUCKFEATHURS!!!!!

Robert you traitor

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              DUCKFEATHURS!!!!!
                              Huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X