Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

Hey folks. Thanks for the answers.
    i am talking about the running water from the shower and the sink, the washer and toilet.

I've used draino which seems to help a bit.

Other than that I'm still getting the smell of sewege from the clean water supplys.
    I"ve not noticed any changes in water pressures anywhere.

(I really appreciate the responses to this, as I am so lost and my land lord is totally unwilling to help, which is another issue).

I will check back daily. I had thought I would get an email when responses were posted.

Thanks again for your time.

Comment

Yes, actual water from faucests etc not drains.
      Town water.
      have not had any main breaks that I"m aware of.

Comment

Is it like a sulpher or rotten egg smell? Draino won't help with water from the valves. You should check with others in your area, to see if they are smelling this also. If they are, that would be a city problem.
        PS. Don't use that Draino crap anyhoo. It's tough on the lines and people that work on them.
        Thanks
        Last edited by nobackfall; 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

no one else seems to be having the problem.
          i did not know draino was bad for the lines or more importantly the people the work on them
          so no more draino here.
          thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by minnelli View Post
            no one else seems to be having the problem.
            i did not know draino was bad for the lines or more importantly the people the work on them
            so no more draino here.
            thanks.
            Hi Minnelli,
            Thanks for coming back!
            The chances of sewer water somehow entering your water supply are very remote. Not imposable, but HIGHLY unluckily.
            If you want to err on the side of caution you could find a water testing lab near you and obtain a sampling kit and have them test for e-coli.

What else could it be?

I once investigated a "sewer smell" in a faucet at a school. it was a janitors sink, but the teachers where also using it to wash their coffee cups etc... I ran the water and it did indeed stink of sewer. The water went through a sort of sprayer. I took the sprayer off and no more stink.
            ???????So like a fool I pick up the sprayer and took a nice deep smell and almost tossed my cookies. It was the most god awful smell I have ever smelled. Somehow the water was diluting the stink. That sprayer smelled of death X's 6 =.

I'm leaning toward you having the same/similar problem, but since you are reporting the same smell at multiple sources, I'm wondering if you might have a whole house filter.

My hypothesis is this: You have a filter with a fungus or something growing in it. During your recent back up/clog you did not use any water, or surly reduced the amount normally used, allowing the stink to "grow".

I also wonder if it's not just in your head. I say this because I am that way I am. If I feel I have to smell the meat in the fridge to see if it's good/bad, it is always bad and usually my wife will say "I just bought that yesterday".
            Have you had anyone else smell your water?
            Last edited by Gene Bickford; 08-02-2011, 04:09 PM.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thank you gents. It appears as if the draino has actually done the trick, somehow....
              I really appreciate you all taking the time to consider my situation.
              I know you guys are professionals and do this on your own time.

Peace,
              Minnelli

Comment

Originally posted by minnelli View Post
                Thank you gents. It appears as if the draino has actually done the trick, somehow....
                I really appreciate you all taking the time to consider my situation.
                I know you guys are professionals and do this on your own time.

Peace,
                Minnelli
                Believe me, the Draino had nothing whatsoever to do with getting the smell out of your potable water.

Glad it is gone though!!

Comment

Working...
                X