Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

backup from toilet to bathtub

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • backup from toilet to bathtub

    we live in houston. we recently had a lot of rain over a period of 2 days. our toilet started to overflow when we flushed it. the water made it to the rim. we plunged. it drained the toilet, but then backed up into the bathtub. we had sewage & toilet paper in the tub! gross! we then flushed again. the toilet drained, but seemed to leak from the base clean, clear water. again the water backed up into the bathtub. the rain finally stopped & we checked once again the next day. the toilet works fine- no backup, no leaking, just like new. the bathtub on the other hand- will drain, but only very sloooowwwly. we tried liquid plumber to no avail (probably b/c of all the soggy, wet toilet paper). we tried to plunge (it sounded like the water was moving & gurgling, but no quick fix). now our bathtub is unusuable. help!! do we need to snake it?

  • #2
    Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

    Originally posted by ginger View Post
    we live in houston. we recently had a lot of rain over a period of 2 days. our toilet started to overflow when we flushed it. the water made it to the rim. we plunged. it drained the toilet, but then backed up into the bathtub. we had sewage & toilet paper in the tub! gross! we then flushed again. the toilet drained, but seemed to leak from the base clean, clear water. again the water backed up into the bathtub. the rain finally stopped & we checked once again the next day. the toilet works fine- no backup, no leaking, just like new. the bathtub on the other hand- will drain, but only very sloooowwwly. we tried liquid plumber to no avail (probably b/c of all the soggy, wet toilet paper). we tried to plunge (it sounded like the water was moving & gurgling, but no quick fix). now our bathtub is unusable. help!! do we need to snake it?

    Yes have it snaked by a professional. Also have him replace your wax seal to the toilet . You might also want him to snake your mainline just to be safe and avoid another back up.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

      the tub is typically a 1.5'' line and was not designed to take out waste and paper.

      fortunately the paper will dissolve and break down.

      try holding a wet sponge or rag over the overflow/ trip lever on the wall of the tub and then put a couple of inches of water into the tub. a good plunger is usually all it takes to get it flowing again.

      this is a very common issue with back up's that's why i like to have a loose clean out in the yard at a lower elevation.

      if all else fails and it won't go, then you will have to snake the tub from the overflow assy.

      don't get hurt or you might see my b.i.l. at the emergency room of herman hospital in houston tell him plumber rick sent you for the family discount

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

        Agree; the ongoing tub drainage problem is from toilet paper that got in the trap during the earlier issue involving the toilet. Snake the tub or have it snaked.
        Agree; leakage from under toilet was from wax ring. It will likely not leak during normal usage, but will if you back up again.

        Something new to add; is the property on a septic system? Or city sewer? The rain and the going-away-on-its-own afterward makes me think saturated septic field for your initial problem. Either way the problem will either recur or it won't; wait 'til it does if you are a roll the dice type, have the main line jetted if you are on sewer and you want peace of mind. If you are on septic, make sure your yard isn't draining into your tank, then cross a lot of fingers and don't flush when it rains.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

          Hello,
          I was going to start a new thread but since my issue is much the same as the OP and there was no indication of the solution I thought I would try here first. I have had thi problem for 15 years and highly suspect the city sewage system is to blame. This just started again a week ago after many weeks of a lot of rain. At first the toilets wouldn't flush after we took multiple baths/ showers. After some time they would work fine.. We had another round of a lot of rain and this weekend they seem to be worse. a couple of flushes and they won't flush. No overflows and no backups into tubes or showers
          In the past I have snaked the main line with 100ft snake with no success. Called the city out and they had to always snake it at least 150ft from my clean out. The last time was about 2 years ago and the had to get at the problem from down the street. I have been told by the workers that the sewer lines were ancient. The problem I have now is they are getting funny about coming out to help even though it has always appeared to be a problem on their end. Not having a clean out close to their lines is one issue (code for new construction I believe requires that now) I guess my question is-- How do I prove to them it is their problem and not mine?
          I figure 3 showers and a bath full of water would fill a lot of pipe before it backed up... Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated.
          Jim

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

            why not just put a clean out in? this would benifit you anyway. put it out as close to the street as possible. have the drain camered when it isn't pluged. then have you lawyer send a copy to city. also make copies for all your neighbors. breid...............

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

              Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              why not just put a clean out in? this would benifit you anyway. put it out as close to the street as possible. have the drain camered when it isn't pluged. then have you lawyer send a copy to city. also make copies for all your neighbors. breid...............
              breid,
              Great advice. I probably should have done that a long time ago as its about 90 to 100 feet to the street from my existing clean out and a couple of corners are hard to turn with my snake. Plumbing and me don't get along at all. It seems wherever I start (kitchen sink) I end up out at the street..... And are plumbing problems set on a timer for holidays and weekends when I have family coming over.... I think what is happening is the city line is getting backed up and over time it slowly backs up into mine. But the line has never cleared until they clear it out at the street. I just ran my snake through again and it didn't clear. Still can flush and everything drains over time. I think the last time I called the city was on the weekend and they came out. I don't like making them come out on the weekend because the guys that do the work are really nice just that the last time they informed me of the cities position....... Small town growing. Its amazing the changes in 15 years. Thanks again for the reply and the advice....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                I have read this thread and found it very useful. Thank you. Please forgive the redundancy of these questions.

                First Problem: Bathroom A and B are next to each other.
                Bathroom A's toilet has backed up. After plunging like mad and flushing. The contents of the toilet have backed up into the bathtub. This has not happen before. We have repeatedly snaked the toilet. The snake keeps stopping at the same junction. Taking the bathtub fixtures apart, in hopes of a more direct route. Has also failed.
                Bathroom B's toilet and sink has stopped up now. A clearing product has been poured down both the bathtub and B's sink.
                Both bathrooms have been disassembled and a snake has been enthusiastically used.

                Any suggestions? Before you say "call a plumber" , we know the few in our area phone numbers and voice mail by heart now.

                I would really like to be able to use one of the toilets and take a cheerful shower.

                Thank you for your kindness and patience.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                  My sewege drain in the basement had been backed up for a frew weeks. I did not not notice, because I'm a idiot until one day when it all over flowed flooding my basement with waste.
                  I managed to find the rock that was blocking the path to the street.
                  However since then, the water in my washer and toilet and shower smell like sewege.
                  There is no longer a blockage, but I can't get the smell to go away and have had to stop
                  using my shower.
                  any suggestions on what what might be causing this and also what I might be able to do to get rid of the smeil?


                  Thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                    Lets go sewer guys. You have alot of questions to answer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                      Originally posted by minnelli View Post
                      My sewege drain in the basement had been backed up for a frew weeks. I did not not notice, because I'm a idiot until one day when it all over flowed flooding my basement with waste.
                      I managed to find the rock that was blocking the path to the street.
                      However since then, the water in my washer and toilet and shower smell like sewege.
                      There is no longer a blockage, but I can't get the smell to go away and have had to stop
                      using my shower.
                      any suggestions on what what might be causing this and also what I might be able to do to get rid of the smeil?


                      Thanks.

                      I think you are talking about the actual water coming out of the faucets ect and NOT the drains....Is this correct?

                      Are you on town water or well water?

                      Have you recently experienced a low pressure event, IE: a town water main break that required your neighborhoods water to be shut down during the repair?
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                        Right...cross connection perhaps
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                          Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                          Right...cross connection perhaps
                          Perhaps, It is possible, but very unlikely.
                          It's about as possible as minnelli asking a question and actually returning to the forum for answers or giving more info.
                          That's why I don't usually reply to first time posters, until I've seen them come back. So many come, ask a question and never return.

                          That sucks to. I'm curious what is happening here. I'd like find out what is happening and the remedy, but will we ever hear back????
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                            Sorry Gene, I was on you guys to answer these poor people just to have some more entertainment for me. I thought we could really do some good. Sorry, You could do some good.
                            Well, if they don't want any great advice, they are losing out!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: backup from toilet to bathtub

                              Originally posted by nlyric View Post
                              Hello,
                              I was going to start a new thread but since my issue is much the same as the OP and there was no indication of the solution I thought I would try here first. I have had thi problem for 15 years and highly suspect the city sewage system is to blame. This just started again a week ago after many weeks of a lot of rain. At first the toilets wouldn't flush after we took multiple baths/ showers. After some time they would work fine.. We had another round of a lot of rain and this weekend they seem to be worse. a couple of flushes and they won't flush. No overflows and no backups into tubes or showers
                              In the past I have snaked the main line with 100ft snake with no success. Called the city out and they had to always snake it at least 150ft from my clean out. The last time was about 2 years ago and the had to get at the problem from down the street. I have been told by the workers that the sewer lines were ancient. The problem I have now is they are getting funny about coming out to help even though it has always appeared to be a problem on their end. Not having a clean out close to their lines is one issue (code for new construction I believe requires that now) I guess my question is-- How do I prove to them it is their problem and not mine?
                              I figure 3 showers and a bath full of water would fill a lot of pipe before it backed up... Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated.
                              Jim
                              Talk to your neighbors. Chances are, if it is truly a city problem, they will be facing the exact same issue. If not, get some camera work done as breid said. It will show you exactly what the problem is. And where. And you are lucky the city ever did anything from your cleanout. We have them do stuff to their lines all the time, but they won't touch a customers cleanout around here. And your responsibility, around here anyways, goes from your house all the way to and including, the tap on the city main. Even if it goes under a street, across 15 neighbors yards or whatever, it's your responsibility.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X