X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with steam shower

Please bare with me as I am very plumbing ignorant. My wife and I recently experienced a house fire and all was destroyed except main drains studs and concrete. We are rebuilding and want to put in a steam shower in the basement bath. There was prevously just a toilet and sink. My GC quoted me a price of 8600.00 out of pocket to me to install the shower plumbing only. The insurance picks up the tab for the toilet and sink... the 8600 does not include the cost of the steam shower or its installation, just the plumbing rough. He will have to cut concrete but our house in not very big at all. Am i getting ripped or is this a fair price? Any info is greatly prreciated.

Re: Help with steam shower

I hate to speculate on prices outside of my immediate region, but that sounds very high. For me, worst case scenario in every way imaginable, my price would be less than half of that. I think there are some guys from IL here who can tell you for sure, but this stinks to me. Sorry to hear about your house fire.
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Danimal,
      We/I have no idea what you're installing.Is this an all in one unit.Or just a drain and tile with your set of valves that you picked out with the steam unit of you're choice immediately overhead.Does the unit satelite to a location other than over the shower.Does the steam unit have access to a seperate drain in the approximate area to receive the temp+pressure relief valve and auto flush.These are some of the variables.I cannot see through you're plumbing estimators eyes.

It is a lot easier to communicate with pictures of the existing bath.

Sometimes the intense heat can damage pipes under or in conrete up to 24" deep.

We would love to help.Just need more info.

Adam

Comment

Unfortunately I am also posting pic ignorant, but I have a link if you could look at that.

http://www.steamshowersinc.com/STEAM...eam-Shower.htm

Does this help at all?

Comment

I googled to find specs,requirements and rough in.Man these are all over the net on sale.I can see how someone would be interested.I don't know the background on these units.I will know a lot more by the end of tommorow after I hit up some contacts.I don't know what you're existing conditions are so an approximate price range could vary in the thousands easily.I know I'm shooting blind so I'm going high.

Sure no one can give you a hand with the pictures.I understand,everyone here will tell you I'm the forum dingbat when it comes to computers.I type five words a minute on a good day.

Comment

There really is no existing bath. My house burned to the concrete foundation. right now all I have are studs and the toilet rough. The insurance company is going to get me back to having the sink and toilet. The shower will be my cost since it wasnt there previously. I am not sure of what to take a picture of. Is it the place where the shower will probably go? Thanks again for all your help.
            Dan

Comment

Another issue that I'm thinking about is water pressure and volume.These too are variables that the tradesmen seen in your home since the day they got there to do the rebuilding.Are you satisfied with the work the plumber has done so far?It does matter.

I need to get info from my peeps before I can give a full and confident answer.

Comment

The GC is not making a huge profit on the insurance payout and likely trying to make it up on extras like your steam shower. I guarantee if he was working for the insurance company he was the lowest bidder.

The plumber may have seen what you were planning on installing and jacked his price up to cover his butt because he's never done one before and the GC is passing that on to you.

I've charged more for shower installs and felt guilty about it. Then the check cleared and that feeling went away.

Honestly, if you are in that shower long enough to use all of it's functions: making phone calls, playing a CD, ozone sterilization, mood lighting, storage shelves and singing into the microphone you will want a bigger shower with a more comfortable seat. That little 8"x12" foldout won't cut it.

If it burned to the foundation I don't see how any plumbing above the slab could be saved. Even if it was left intact it would be suspect at best.
                Last edited by plumberscrack; 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Another issue that I'm thinking about is water pressure and volume.These too are variables that the tradesmen seen in your home since the day they got there to do the rebuilding.Are you satisfied with the work the plumber has done so far?It does matter.

I need to get info from my peeps before I can give a full and confident answer.
                  I guess I'm satisfied. There are so many apects to something like this, its hard to concentrate on just one aspect of the rebuild. Also I am so unhandy that I couldnt tell if what he did was good or bad. My GC I'm not sure if I trust too much, but my insurance company is keeping him in check.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    The GC is not making a huge profit on the insurance payout and likely trying to make it up on extras like your steam shower. I guarantee if he was working for the insurance company he was the lowest bidder.

The plumber may have seen what you were planning on installing and jacked his price up to cover his butt because he's never done one before and the GC is passing that on to you.

I've charged more for shower installs and felt guilty about it. Then the check cleared and that feeling went away.

Honestly, if you are in that shower long enough to use all of it's functions: making phone calls, playing a CD, ozone sterilization, mood lighting, storage shelves and singing into the microphone you will want a bigger shower with a more comfortable seat. That little 8"x12" foldout won't cut it.

If it burned to the foundation I don't see how any plumbing above the slab could be saved. Even if it was left intact it would be suspect at best.
                    Yah your right. the plumbing is all gone but the toilet roughs, summp pump and the main drain. I think.. Thats funny, the singing in the microphone, but honestly I havent picked the exact model but it will be a like model..

Comment

$8,600.00 just to rough-in a shower unit in a basement!!! that is a lot of jack for adding a shower to a basement. I could see if it covered the unit and installation but seeing it is only for ''rough-in'' I feel the price is quit step. I know profit is not a dirty word but i think when a GC charges like this it gives the plumber a bad name. I could almost bet the GC is marking up 100% or more
                      ________
                      Mercedes-benz m104 engine history
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X