X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: honeywell L8148E aquastat

Ok, I see what you've been patiently trying to say now. The arm is a limit stop and keeps the control from being set above whatever the arm is set at in relation to the wheel. If you can not rotate the wheel to the setting you desire you can indeed move the arm so that the wheel can be moved. In fact you can swing the arm totally out of the way so that you can set the wheel wherever you want it. (moving the arm does not change the setting just the limit of the setting) They put the arm on there so homeowners can't set the limit above 200 or maybe 210. The control will go as high as 240 but then you're making steam and blowing off the relief valve. Settings higher that 210 in a residential system running 12-15 psi are not recommended.
    sigpic

Comment

thanks. does the arm you refer to sort of "hook" onto the toothed portion of the temperature wheel? right now, the "pointer" mentioned in the page 12 picture points to 185F on the temp. wheel. the "hook" arm is resting in a tooth on the temp. wheel at what looks like 170F. can you help me understand what those two settings mean, how they work, what their relationship is to each other, if any. i am beginning to understand what the temp. wheel does, but i need a little more detail for the last post you made. when i insert the screwdriver and pry up, should that also disengage the "hook" arm from the temp. wheel? i had accidently set a temp of 200F at the pointer (i know the "hook" arm was at a considerably lower temp.) on sat. night and sun. morning the boiler water temp was 205F and the pressure was higher than its usual 12 lbs(approx), probably between 20 and 25 psi, which made me nervous. so i lowered the pointer temp setting to the 185F mentioned above.
      as you can tell, its the mechanics of how changes are phyically implemented that i am trying to grasp. and your patience is much appreciated.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

"The control will go as high as 240 but then you're making steam and blowing off the relief valve."

I agree that an aquastat should not be set this high, but you are not necessarily making steam at 240.

Comment

masterplumb...when you set the temp. on hot water boilers with L8148E aquastats, what do you select as the temp for copper baseboard systems? is this temp set in the aquastat using the temperature wheel? is it set by aligning that temp as shown on the temp. wheel with the pointer that is in the aquastat (see page 12 of this documenthttp://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/60-2278.pdf? there is an "arm" that rests on the temp. wheel in the aquastat and "hooks" onto the teeth of the temp. wheel. what is this "arm" used for or what is its purpose? comments appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
            masterplumb...when you set the temp. on hot water boilers with L8148E aquastats, what do you select as the temp for copper baseboard systems? is this temp set in the aquastat using the temperature wheel? is it set by aligning that temp as shown on the temp. wheel with the pointer that is in the aquastat (see page 12 of this documenthttp://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/60-2278.pdf? there is an "arm" that rests on the temp. wheel in the aquastat and "hooks" onto the teeth of the temp. wheel. what is this "arm" used for or what is its purpose? comments appreciated.
            I usually set the high limit around 180-190. It is set by rotating the dial to where the number and the arrow meet.

Comment

but am i correct that the arm resting on the face of the temperature setting wheel must be raised up by prying it up with a screwdriver in order to adjust the temperature? i tried moving the temp set wheel without doing this to higher and lower temperatures and it had absolutlely no affect on the temperature. my interpretation of the adjustment procedure is to pry the arm up so its hook disengages the teeth on the temp set wheel, move the temp wheel so the desired temp. adjacent to the "pointer " inside the aquastat, then release the arm so the "hook" re-engages the teeth of the temp. set wheel. comments appreciated.

Comment

I have never had to "pry" anything to adjust the temp on an aquastat relay. It may be a new design.

Comment

FYI the boiler and related aquastat date to 2003. in checking further, it seems that unless the lock arm is pryed up, i have been told the temp. wheel can be moved anywhere, but that the temp won't change unless the arm disengages from the temp. wheel prior too its being adjusted.

Comment

I have a Utica MGB150HD boiler that came equipped with a 8148. I have four heat zones of finned copper baseboard and an indirect hot water heater running. The 8148 I have is the model with the optional high limit range of 140 to 240. It is currently set at 150. This seems low from what I have read on this forum. My question is what is the optimal setting for the high limit. Also, Would I benefit from installing a heat manager like the intellicon HW+?
                    Last edited by Steveee; 12-03-2008, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveee View Post
                      I have a Utica MGB150HD boiler that came equipped with a 8148. I have four heat zones of finned copper baseboard and an indirect hot water heater running. The 8148 I have is the model with the optional high limit range of 140 to 240. It is currently set at 150. This seems low from what I have read on this forum. My question is what is the optimal setting for the high limit. Also, Would I benefit from installing a heat manager like the intellicon HW+?
                      Fintube runs best between 190-200. I'm surprised that you get any heat at all running at 150.

The Heat Manager is expensive but well worth it IMO especially when coupled with a setback control.

Comment

here is a link for the intellicon hw+:

http://www.patriot-supply.com/produc...tem.cfm/155940

i have had mine since roughly march, '08. this march i will attempt to determine if i have experienced any savings as a result of its operation. the hard part will be equating degree days during the year preceeding installation to degree days during the first year of installation. i believe they guarantee a 10 % savings or they will refund the unit's cost.

the unit is very easy to install. beware of calling heating companies on this one. a pro local to me wanted $700 for the hw+ installed. taking my time, i spent 1 hour installing it and saved $500. and intellidyne are great with assistance to the DIYer.

btw, i came across this after i installed my hw+

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/litera...robat/p022.pdf

i will be helping a friend install it during the summer when he replaces his boiler. if i had it to do over again, i'd take a close look at the tekmar. FWIW, it was featured in an ask this old house episode.

Comment

Who dragged this old thread up from the basement? Anyhow, FYI Tekmar makes the controller for Taco, they are the same unit with different names. I have the Taco unit on my boiler and with the global warming this winter thank christ I do.
                          sigpic

Comment

NHM do you have a link to the outdoor reset control you are referring to? thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X