X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honeywell L8148E aquastat

can anyone point me to information, besides the owners manual, that would help me in understanding how the aquastat knows when to fire the boiler and when to turn the burner off. contacting honeywell has proved totally useless as the third world call center receiving customer service calls only knows how to tell you they don't support that product to the general public. i know you have to pry up some kind of retainer and move the temperature wheel inside the control, aligning the desired temp. with a pointer in the control. but is that temp the high limit, and the point at which the boiler fires is that temp. minus the differential, or is that temp the point at which the boiler fires and it shuts down when it reaches the set temp plus the differential? all of the above assumes there is a call for heat, as without a call for heat from a thermostat, i realize the boiler just sits there like huge paperweight. any insights to help clear this up for me would be appreciated.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: honeywell L8148E aquastat

the aquastat will get the boiler to fire wheather there is a call ofr heat from a t-stat or not, the idea is to keep your boiler temp above dew point at all times to protect it and to keep water temps from getting to low or high, why the questions temp to low or high? is this your primary aquastat on the boiler package or is this a secondary?
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

the Honeywell L8148 is not a dual aquastat. The temperature that you set the wheel at (say 200 ) is the temperature that the boiler will shut off at. (called high limit) the boiler will only fire when the thermostat call for heat (this is the relay part of the control) There is no "low limit" feature on this particular control that will keep the boiler at a "low limit temperature" If you need to maintain the boiler at say 160 or so because you have a tankless coil for domestic hot water then you need either another aquastat (a Honeywell L4006B) or better yet, swap the L8148 for a L8124, which has a dual aquastat built in as well as burner and circulator relays. Now, if you have your 8148 set at 200, the boiler will re-start (provided the thermostat is calling) when the boiler drops approximatly 20 degrees.
      sigpic

Comment

NHM...then what is the purpose of the differential? assuming there is a call for heat and the boiler water temp is at 180F, with a high limit of 190F and a differential of 15F, shouldn't the boiler will fire at 175F? my experience has been that the call for heat will start the circulator and the burner will not fire untill the differential temp( high limit less differential) is reached. i am trying to have the boiler produce water hot enough to handle my CI zones and my copper BB zones, realizing each has different water temp. requirements. if the copper BB needs water temp. higher than CI, what is the best temp for copper BB? and how do I set that on the aquastat? As always , comments appreciated.

Comment

On a call for heat the differential keeps the burner from short cycling. You are correct in assuming that if the limit is set at 200 and the differential is 15 degrees, the boiler temperature will drop to 185 before the burner will fire again. The circulator however will continue untill the thermostat is satisfied.
          sigpic

Comment

I have both ci and bb in my house and set my hi limit to 180. There is always going to be a bit of a balancing act with ci and bb so you have to find a happy medium. Don't worry about too much heat in the ci, remember radiators are designed for steam (212 degrees) so the heat is'nt going to bother them. However if you have young kids you may want to purchase or make radiator covers to keep the kids from getting burned. Do yourself a favor and pick up a Beckett heat manager (modulating burner control) it will cut your oil or gas bill by at least 10% probably 15.

www.beckett.com
            sigpic

Comment

NHM...i already installed my heat manager, but am considering upgrading to an intellicon HW+ by intellidyne. intellidyne makes the heatmanager for Beckett and they are the same units under the skin. the HW+ unit has a few more bells and whistles and a broader spectrum of diagnostic software to facilitate more comprehensive use. at least that's what intellidyne tech service tells me.

regarding my aquastat, i am trying to determine if the temperature set by moving the wheel inside the unit sets the high limit. i believe it does. do you just move it to the temperature you want as indicated by the pointer within the unit or is there a more accurate technique? comments appreciated.

Comment

No, you just move it to the desired setting.
                sigpic

Comment

NHM...is there a ring on top of the temperature wheel that is supposed to be "lifted" with a screwdriver as the adjustment is made? how can the adjustment be screwed up resulting in damage to the aquastat. thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    NHM...is there a ring on top of the temperature wheel that is supposed to be "lifted" with a screwdriver as the adjustment is made? how can the adjustment be screwed up resulting in damage to the aquastat. thanks again.
                    You shouldn't have to lift anything to adjust the limit. Just turn the dial to the desired setting. There should be a small indicater arrow pointing to the temperature setting. On some aquastats, can't remember if the 8148E is like this but the minimum setting is 180. Are you trying to go lower?

Comment

No lift, just turn. The differential is pre set and can't be adjusted.
                      sigpic

Comment

i am a little confused. in the aquastat owners manual, on page 12, instructions regarding temp setting are displayed. if you have an owners manual for the aquastat, does yours, like mine, make note of the following.. "Models with optional dial stop can be adjusted using a small screwdriver as shown in figure 15." the following instructions are printed on a drawing of the high limit switch.

"1. insert corner of small screwdriver in this notch and pry stop upward from dial face.

2. while holding stop away from dial face with screwdriver, turn dial until desired high limit setting is aligned with pointer.

3. release screwdriver; mahe sure high limit stop rests flat against dial face."

i'm sorry if i seem a bit dense, but i want to be sure i can perform the adjustment correctly so the system performs properly. comments appreciated.

Comment

Still not sure what you are trying to accomplish. You can set the high limit anywhere as long as it's set above the hi limit setting of the modulating control. The 8148's limit is only going to act as a secondary hi limit anyway. I have never had to pry or lift anything on a 8148. Can you attach a picture of the dial?
                          sigpic

Comment

Features
                            • High limit opens burner circuit only.
                            • Include transformer and accessory terminals for adding a remote low limit controller.
                            • Case available for horizontal or vertical mounting.
                            • Requires a 24 Vac thermostat with heat anticipator set at 0.2A.
                            • TRADELINE models include well adapter, tube of heat conductive compound and range stops.
                            Product Specifications Back To TopDescriptionHigh Limit Aquastat Relay with 15 F fixed differentialApplicationHigh LimitOperating Range, High Limit (F)180 F to 240 FOperating Range, High Limit (C)100 C to 133 CDifferential Temperature (F)15 F fixedSwitching ActionSPST: High Limit & Circulator
                            sigpic

Comment

this link should take you to the 8148 owners manual. http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/60-2278.pdf
                              please look at the last page (page 12). i would appreciate your commenting on the part entitled "setting high limit" under the category Settings and Adjustments. i am trying to be sure that i perform the correct physical operation to adjust the aqustat's temperature. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X