Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venting advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: Venting advice

    I have a similar situation. I just routed the vent pipe up the attic grawlspace as if I was going to go through the roof. Instead of cutting a hole and going through the roof, I installed a cheater vent. I can finish the venting another day or incorperate it into the next roofing project. Nevertheless, I'm all set up.

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: Venting advice

      I came to this forum (like everyone else I guess) because I'm looking for advice. I like doing things myself. I can't afford to pay someone to fully install a bathroom so I have to teach myself to do it, then hire a pro to design it for me, then have him come back ($100 a trip) and point to what I did wrong, then fix it, then return all the wrong parts. I can break up concrete, run vent lines up to the attic, sweat copper and damn if I'm not a hell of a weekend sheetrocker after 4 down-to-the-studs remodels.

      That being said, plumbing is the hardest there is. Period. No doubt doubt in my mind. You can't just pick it up. I applaud the pros here who have the patience to help, but here's what I've learned after 20 years in the building trades. Every job is different.

      My suggestion to anyone planning these things themselves is to get hands-on help from a professional and make it worth their time to babysit you. He/she isn't going to put their name on it for a six pack and a handshake, and if they do then they're out there making friends and not making money. That it NOT what professionals do.


      .
      Last edited by nhmatt; 02-15-2009, 09:30 AM.

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: Venting advice

        Originally posted by nhmatt View Post
        My suggestion to anyone planning these things themselves is to get hands-on help from a professional and make it worth their time to babysit you. He/she isn't going to put their name on it for a six pack and a handshake, and if they do then they're out there making friends and not making money. That it NOT what professionals do.


        .
        funny you should put it like that. The last few months, I've have been getting cold calls(I do some advertising and have a website) from these home reno guys who "Can do the easy plumbing, but the inspector keeps failing because they don't like me". or some other similar story. They want me to come down to the site, inspect their work, tell em how to fix, and sign off on a permit. If its so easy, then why are you calling me?
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

        www.westtrailmechanical.ca

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: Venting advice

          Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
          funny you should put it like that. The last few months, I've have been getting cold calls(I do some advertising and have a website) from these home reno guys who "Can do the easy plumbing, but the inspector keeps failing because they don't like me". or some other similar story. They want me to come down to the site, inspect their work, tell em how to fix, and sign off on a permit. If its so easy, then why are you calling me?

          Definately not what I'm implying, and I don't do business this way. I've been asked to sign off on other people's work and refused, and then been fired, and then asked to come back. Fire alarm design: No one needs to talk to me about liability. I don't trust someone else to pull my wire/bend my pipes and I suspect plumbing is the same thing.

          I went to a dinner party last week and all the girls were getting "chatty" about the new bathroom the owners just installed. Like a nerd I started asking questions and the dude's eyes just glazed over when I started talking about stuff actually behind the paint, tile, and new towel hangers. They didn't do it, they had it done. For me that's a big difference and reason why few people respect labor nowadays.

          What I do, is pay someone to advise me but I do not expect and would never ask another tradesman to sign off on my work. Of course, here I am phishing for free advice...........

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: Venting advice

            Originally posted by nhmatt View Post
            Definately not what I'm implying, and I don't do business this way. I've been asked to sign off on other people's work and refused, and then been fired, and then asked to come back. Fire alarm design: No one needs to talk to me about liability. I don't trust someone else to pull my wire/bend my pipes and I suspect plumbing is the same thing.

            I went to a dinner party last week and all the girls were getting "chatty" about the new bathroom the owners just installed. Like a nerd I started asking questions and the dude's eyes just glazed over when I started talking about stuff actually behind the paint, tile, and new towel hangers. They didn't do it, they had it done. For me that's a big difference and reason why few people respect labor nowadays.

            What I do, is pay someone to advise me but I do not expect and would never ask another tradesman to sign off on my work. Of course, here I am phishing for free advice...........

            I know you weren't implying that, I was just speaking to your comment "he/she isnt going to put their name on it for a six pack and a handshake" Some people honestly think you will. Perfect strangers. I should start telling these people im happy to come out an inspect there work for a small fee of 1000 dollars an hour
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

            www.westtrailmechanical.ca

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: Venting advice

              I've got a hundred stories of friends and family who think its a piece of cake to put a wire wherever they want it, and to be honest it usually is.

              All it takes is time and money, and I charge my family extra just because I can!

              "What do you mean $100 for that! It took you 5 minutes!!!!!!!" Yeah, but its 3am, and I'm here, and 3 million dollars of your equipment is now working.

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: Venting advice

                I used auto vents when I moved my laundry hookups from the house to the garage. I didn't want any roof penetrations through my flat pitched torch down roof if I could avoid it. Being a modular home it has them from the factory every place except for the water closets. The inspector had no problem with me running them because I eliminated the inside hook ups. So far they work just fine even though I have run into situations in other people's homes get sewer gas burping through p traps from the one way venting action.

                Comment

                Working...
                X