Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Venting advice

Originally posted by johneel View Post
    I think it's funny that in Massachusetts I can get a permit to do all of my own electrical work, and, being a mere handyman, possibly kill myself. But God forbid I try to pull a permit to move a sink in my kitchen. Totally illegal. God forbid I drop a wrench on my foot. (And please don't give me this line about plumbers being the saviors of Western Civilization and holding a higher rank in the world of professions than doctors because they helped bring us indoor plumbing.) I have to move a sink (yes, new venting) and a radiator (yes, an oil-fired hot water system) and the two bids I got came in at $3,700 each. I can run new copper lines for the sink. I can run a vent up through my attic and do the roofing so it doesn't leak. I can tie into exisiting plumbing, but I wouldn't even attempt to move the radiator. But, bottom line? I AM NOT ALLOWED to do any of that stuff, even though I can. And that's costing me thousands of dollars. I respect the profession, I do. But, my plumbing friends, you have the rest of us over the barrel.
    I do not know you're states rules although I find it hard to believe you are not allowed to do improvements on you're own home. That being said think of all the douche bags that jeopardize there family and there own health repairing or installing things the wrong way. When you go to peoples homes day in and day out and see the hack jobs homeowners do, then you might think the restrictions are not strong enough.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Crappy days, it's true. Only licensed plumbers can pull permits and do work in the Bay State. Ask Duckbutter -- I think he's from Mass. And I'm too old to change professions and become a plumber, JCs. But, sometimes I wish I had entered the "trades." I suppose it would be different doing it full time, but it's fun working on your house. I'm enjoying it. And I'm trying to do it right, by the book, with permits, and safely. Not all homeowners are nit-wits, cutting corners.

Comment

I get so tired of arguing with all you so called homeowner experts that watch a few episodes This Old House and think you have the skill and knowledge to "dabble" in the plumbing trade. Do you dabble in dentistry or heart surgery also? You think we're all in business to rip you off. The fact is your local plumbing board does'nt want you guys plumbing because done wrong you can create hazardous conditions. (sewer gas, backflow conditions, cross contamination ect) Yes Plumbers are expensive, so are Doctors, Dentists, and just about everything. You get what you pay for and what you are paying for is a Licensed, Trained, Skilled Professional that will stand by his work.
        sigpic

Comment

I can sweat pipe. I can move a sink. I can run a vent through a roof. I've done it. I'm not arguing with you. I'm tipping my hat to the political power you've exerted in this state (although I'm not sure what's allowed in that cow-herding, trailer-park state in which you live). You act like the fate of mankind rests on your shoulders, for crineoutloud. Let me do the easy stuff. I'm more than happy to rely on a skilled worker for the stuff I can't handle. God forbid I screw up and the dreaded SEWER GAS enters my house and KILLS everyone. (And I don't get my skills from This Old House, but I did read the book entitled: "How Even a Trained Chimpanzee Can Cut a Pipe, follow a Diagram, Solder a Connection, and SAVE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS Doing So.")

Comment

You win, I see your point. I will surrender my license tomorrow because after all "what's the point" There really is and never has been any hazards here (we just made all that up to scare the public and charge outrageous prices) None of us are really trained, we all just spent four years in apprentice school drinking beer at Hooters. And you really don't have to pass the Masters or Journeymans exam, you just slip a few bucks to the board under the table and you get to join the club.

Listen carefully - No one ever said that you can't move your own sink, or f-up your radiator. It's your damned house and this is America. Do what you want. Screw the permit, who's gonna know?
            sigpic

Comment

One more passing thought. You can swett pipe, run a vent through the roof ect. Can you pass the Journeymans exam?
              Nurses can take blood pressure, temperature, give pills and change dressings. Can they do surgery.?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johneel View Post
                I can sweat pipe. I can move a sink. I can run a vent through a roof. I've done it. I'm not arguing with you. I'm tipping my hat to the political power you've exerted in this state (although I'm not sure what's allowed in that cow-herding, trailer-park state in which you live). You act like the fate of mankind rests on your shoulders, for crineoutloud. Let me do the easy stuff. I'm more than happy to rely on a skilled worker for the stuff I can't handle. God forbid I screw up and the dreaded SEWER GAS enters my house and KILLS everyone. (And I don't get my skills from This Old House, but I did read the book entitled: "How Even a Trained Chimpanzee Can Cut a Pipe, follow a Diagram, Solder a Connection, and SAVE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS Doing So.")
                Johnee, That's funny for being a writer you just reduced yourself to written white trash. If this is the most eloquent way you can explain your argument ,well frankly I would hire a writer to write for yourself.
                THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Crappy, you break me up.. Love ya
                  sigpic

Comment

John, I just read some of your posts a few back.

I'm sure it's fun working on your own house. You can stop to eat when your hungry, and go to the bathroom when you gotta go. You have heat in the winter, and a/c in the summer.

Big Deal dude, you have on 'experience'(if it's done right, and who's to know since there was more than likely no inspector's?) on one house, and you think you can tackle it all?

Try working on 15-20 homes per week.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

DAAWWGPIIILE!!!!!

YEEEEE-HAWWWW

Comment

Its hard to believe that I'm still providing some entertainment, about such a small small issue, with replies by such small small Minds, and totally off the topic. It truly must be a dull day in your neck of the plumbing woods.

I called the City of Vancouver Building department today. They now allow
                        cheater vent. And they don't have to called cheater vents any longer
                        because its no longer cheating to use an AVV.

So whats the point of all this verbal abuse?
                        Life is too short, get over it, all this anger will only shorten your life.

Comment

My therapist tells me I'm a very unforgiving and stubborn person and I need to find ways to relax.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomot View Post
                            Its hard to believe that I'm still providing some entertainment, about such a small small issue, with replies by such small small Minds, and totally off the topic. It truly must be a dull day in your neck of the plumbing woods.

I called the City of Vancouver Building department today. They now allow
                            cheater vent. And they don't have to called cheater vents any longer
                            because its no longer cheating to use an AVV.

So whats the point of all this verbal abuse?
                            Life is too short, get over it, all this anger will only shorten your life.
                            tomot,
                            It's all in a days entertainment,I live for conflict.My day just does not seem complete without it.

Good job on you're conformation of approval.

I'm always bagging on the canadian members that do plumbing up there how easy it is.

Have fun plumin'

p.s. I think they approved em' for us under UPC down here.I still don't advise their use,unless the condition dictate.
                            Last edited by drtyhands; 02-27-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

AMEN! Brother.

Comment

We see what people try to get off cheaply with.

Many Many Many FAILED INSTALATIONS that someone else has to pay for.

This to me is far more frustrating than tomtom's short live inquiry(on this matter) here.

Thanks for providing us with material tomot

Comment

Working...
                                X