• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting advice

Hi:

I'm building a new guest bathroom adjoining a new guest bedroom
    over a 2' high vented crawlspace.
    Its impossible to tie into the existing venting system at the
    opposite end of the house, due to the solid rock on which the existing FDN sits.
    I don't want to open the entire 25' high 2x4 exterior wall either to incorporate a new vent
    for 3 new fixtures.

I was planning of using 3, 1 1/2" cheater vent. in the crawl space one for each fixture.
    Your thoughts please, or better alternative!
    Attached Files

Re: Venting advice

We're still here

I don't use flat vents in the manner that is allowed in your area.

Hondahead and Big Pipe 09 are some the regulars here who know how the plumbing is accepted up there.

Comment

Any reason you can't run a new vent up through the roof for the new bathroom.?
      sigpic

Comment

Cheater vents have to be higher than the fixture they serve. You are going to have open walls during this project. No reason you can't get a vent into the attic and out the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Any reason you can't run a new vent up through the roof for the new bathroom.?

I thought I explained that issue, I'm not a fan of chainsawing through
          rim joists, then cutting existing Stucco & Lath, plus sheathing, just to try to get a 2" vent into a 2"X4" stud wall thru 2 floors. I would rather branch off
          a 3" wet vent thru the outside wall, and take it just past the fixture height, and be done with it, as an alternative.
          I'm not concerned with plumbing inspection because thats not going to happen. I looking for a reasonable workable solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
            Cheater vents have to be higher than the fixture they serve. You are going to have open walls during this project. No reason you can't get a vent into the attic and out the roof.
            anything is possible! I could also tear down the house and start again.
            I'm looking for a reasonable workable solution. The only wall thats open
            on the inside, is one wall for the shower, it needs to receive a new mixing
            valve and shower head. That wall is a possible source, but only for a 1 1/2" vent, but it cant be taken to the next floor because of floor to ceiling windows along that entire side. Thats why I might entertain a vent terminating on the outside, BUT..... not going to the roof level.

Comment

Originally posted by tomot View Post
              I thought I explained that issue, I'm not a fan of chainsawing through
              rim joists, then cutting existing Stucco & Lath, plus sheathing, just to try to get a 2" vent into a 2"X4" stud wall thru 2 floors. I would rather branch off
              a 3" wet vent thru the outside wall, and take it just past the fixture height, and be done with it, as an alternative.
              I'm not concerned with plumbing inspection because thats not going to happen. I looking for a reasonable workable solution.
              You seam to have all the answers what do you need our help for. Do what ever the heck you want then.
              THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I'll open a huge can of worms here but In my opinion AAV's are hack plumbing. The reason we are licensed, skilled professionals is because we can always find a way to properly vent a fixture. Yes it may take some work and yes it may cost more that slapping an AAV on, but it's the right way to do the job. I don't know about the rest of you my company does not compromise quality for expediancy. I hate AAV's, I would fire anyone on my crew if I found him installing one. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of heated responses to this but you will never change my mind on this isssue.
                As for the home owner here, I too am baffled as to why you bother to ask your question as your mind seems to be made up already. So go ahead a do what you will.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                  Hello NHMaster. I'm new to joining the forum but have been reading and learning for a while. I had a thought based on your last post. Should we be telling homeowners and DIY'ers how to properly do things? Part of me thinks that we should just tell them to hire a properly licensed person in their area. Aren't we giving our skills and knowledge away when we answer some of these posts? If I would have seen in the posters' description that they were a "designer" I probably would not have entertained to answer the question. I've noticed that most good Plumbing Contractors are eager to help and therfore eagerly answer most posters questions/problems, but maybe we should think twice about our job security. From now on, I'll be looking at the occupation before I answer. Just a thought. After all, I can't find a Dental forum telling me how to fix my teeth.
                  I put a low priority on the "Ask the plumbing experts" forum when checking new posts, for that reason.
                  There's also a "Professional plumbing discussion" forum for us...great guys there...great topics, lots of humorous banter between pro's.
                  Here:
                  Professional Plumbing Discussion - RIDGID Plumbing Forum, Woodworking Forum, Power Tool Forum

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                    Hello NHMaster. I'm new to joining the forum but have been reading and learning for a while. I had a thought based on your last post. Should we be telling homeowners and DIY'ers how to properly do things? Part of me thinks that we should just tell them to hire a properly licensed person in their area. Aren't we giving our skills and knowledge away when we answer some of these posts? If I would have seen in the posters' description that they were a "designer" I probably would not have entertained to answer the question. I've noticed that most good Plumbing Contractors are eager to help and therfore eagerly answer most posters questions/problems, but maybe we should think twice about our job security. From now on, I'll be looking at the occupation before I answer. Just a thought. After all, I can't find a Dental forum telling me how to fix my teeth.
                    I think when a home owner is humble and truly wanting to gain knowledge then sure, help them out. But when they are hacks not wanting to take advice then let them drown in there ignorance.
                    Last edited by Crappy days; 02-24-2008, 09:33 PM.
                    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

A rim joist is not the structural member you are giving the image of.It does not span.It is either sitting on a wall or nailed off to the joists they are surrounding.Even if it was a ledger it would be secured on a repeating layout.They are the likely the easiest to get approved for boring.

We love to help others and learn from each other.We don't respond in this manner without merit.

I cannot appologize for your uncomfortable welcoming.There is a lot more going on than what you see as a couple of pipes carrying water and air to make you're project easier than everyone elses.There is a reason people are not allowed to drive 140mph on the freeway even though they think they can.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I'll open a huge can of worms here but In my opinion AAV's are hack plumbing. The reason we are licensed, skilled professionals is because we can always find a way to properly vent a fixture. Yes it may take some work and yes it may cost more that slapping an AAV on, but it's the right way to do the job. I don't know about the rest of you my company does not compromise quality for expediancy. I hate AAV's, I would fire anyone on my crew if I found him installing one. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of heated responses to this but you will never change my mind on this isssue.
                        As for the home owner here, I too am baffled as to why you bother to ask your question as your mind seems to be made up already. So go ahead a do what you will.
                        NHMaster, as a plumber /educator you are probably aware that AAV's have been used
                        in Europe for well over 20 years. In Europe most houses are well over 200 to 400 years old
                        you simply don't get a permit for any restoration or renovation unless its from a University, much less open walls for venting.Thats why technology is able to supply other answers, in such cases. So please dont' be so harsh on your crew should they ever be caught installing one.

But as usual in these forums, personal opinion by some takes precedence over those trying to
                        provide helpful advice. Thanks for illuminating contribution!

Comment

Originally posted by tomot View Post
                          NHMaster, as a plumber /educator you are probably aware that AAV's have been used
                          in Europe for well over 20 years. In Europe most houses are well over 200 to 400 years old
                          you simply don't get a permit for any restoration or renovation unless its from a University, much less open walls for venting.Thats why technology is able to supply other answers, in such cases. So please dont' be so harsh on your crew should they ever be caught installing one.

But as usual in these forums, personal opinion by some takes precedence over those trying to
                          provide helpful advice. Thanks for illuminating contribution!
                          The Air Admittance Valve is a mechanical device designed in such a manner that makes it prone to breakdown.I can't see them making it ten years,I can see them crapping out much sooner.

Comment

I understand the need for an AAV but I'm not sure I would ever install one but that goes back to my early training. As far as the rim joist goes it is probably the most cut up piece of lumber on a project (by plumbing walls) because they are not as important as other framing members.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              The Air Admittance Valve is a mechanical device designed in such a manner that makes it prone to breakdown.I can't see them making it ten years,I can see them crapping out much sooner.
                              thats ok!, I have installed 2 dishwashers for friends of mine that have
                              lastest less than 2 years.... there is a lot of crap being produced

Comment

Working...
                              X