water saver toilets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water saver toilets

I want that one in the commercial. Where the guy is flushing dog food down it so the hot chick plumber will come and give him a "service call"
    sigpic

Comment

Hi, first off the 1.6 gal water closet today is going to out flush any 5.5 gal closet of the 60's or the 3.5gal of the 80's simply because they put in so much more engineering into getting the waste down with so little water (they just need to add a cleaning brush in the bowl box) I have found that Gerber makes 2 great flushing 10" rough 1.6 gal water closets, the Avalanche (a little pricey) and the Viper. The Viper in my opinion for the cost is the best on the market today.
      ________
      GRAPE APE PICTURES
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:33 PM.
      Mike

Comment

What do we know about the floor mounted variable flush toilets.Anyone put one of the Kohlers in yet.I put a wall hung with the flush valve in the carrier,works great.Costs an arm and a leg though.

Comment

i have put in dozens of Am. Std. Cadet 3's and Champion 4's my customers love them i havent had any problems and in my mind the best bang for your buck. We only have one Kohler Supplier around here and their prices suck and the have nothing in stock, where as everyone around here carries american Standard. just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            i have put in dozens of Am. Std. Cadet 3's and Champion 4's my customers love them i havent had any problems and in my mind the best bang for your buck. We only have one Kohler Supplier around here and their prices suck and the have nothing in stock, where as everyone around here carries american Standard. just my 2 cents.
            Wrench Spinner, I'm curious what supplier Kohler you use. I'm a homeowner in Westchester County and have a black black Kohler toilet with an elongated seat. When it cracked, I ended up ordering a new one at Brother's in Elmsford and it cost a pretty penny ($106 after shipping and tax). Even just a flapper valve which they did have in stock for the thing was $14 (it was a funny square shaped one that HD didn't have).

I've since found RAL in Peekskill, and like them much better. When I paid cash they actually gave me a trades price instead of the sticker for a faucet that I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
              Hi, first off the 1.6 gal water closet today is going to out flush any 5.5 gal closet of the 60's or the 3.5gal of the 80's simply because they put in so much more engineering into getting the waste down with so little water (they just need to add a cleaning brush in the bowl box) I have found that Gerber makes 2 great flushing 10" rough 1.6 gal water closets, the Avalanche (a little pricey) and the Viper. The Viper in my opinion for the cost is the best on the market today.
              might well FLUSH as good or better, but you still only get 1.6gal to carry it all out to where it is going. I don't see TOILET problems on remodels; the new toilets don't clog any worse than the old. But I do see main line clogs in houses that have never had a problem before when 1.6's replace older toilets. I blame the reduced flow toilets. And I would be wary of replacing good, working 3.5's without considering posible consequences.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                might well FLUSH as good or better, but you still only get 1.6gal to carry it all out to where it is going. I don't see TOILET problems on remodels; the new toilets don't clog any worse than the old. But I do see main line clogs in houses that have never had a problem before when 1.6's replace older toilets. I blame the reduced flow toilets. And I would be wary of replacing good, working 3.5's without considering posible consequences.
                ace, 100% correct

todays toilets are much better than the original 1990 low flows.

what we see is the lack of line carrying ability on a 1.6 gallon flush. this is more of an issue with cast iron/ no hub. plastic tends to be rust free and is much slicker than iron.

i get more paper stoppages then i ever got in the past. especially with baby wipes

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Mother &%$^*#$ baby wipes. Who's dumb assed idea was it to market these &%^$#@$ things. Well good for business I guess
                  sigpic

Comment

I installed a Kohler Cimmarron at one of my friend's house and they have an AS Champion in the other bathroom. They like the kohler much better. In a couple weeks, I'm changing the champion out for a toto drake. I'll give an update later.

On a side note; why does a cimmaron cost 236 at fergusons but cost 218 at Home Depot?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Mother &%$^*#$ baby wipes. Who's dumb assed idea was it to market these &%^$#@$ things. Well good for business I guess
                      I think a plumber started the word "flushable" baby wipes and the term stuck. I filled 1/3 of a 5 gal bucket yesterday with baby wipes from a drain. Not flushable.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        I installed a Kohler Cimmarron at one of my friend's house and they have an AS Champion in the other bathroom. They like the kohler much better. In a couple weeks, I'm changing the champion out for a toto drake. I'll give an update later.

On a side note; why does a cimmaron cost 236 at fergusons but cost 218 at Home Depot?

was that champion the older one with the flush tower? they have eliminated that design due to problems.

fergusons has a pricing structure with 6 levels. chances are you're not their #1 customer

talk to the salesman and ask him to review your account.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Fergusons charges a bit more cause the toilet is probably not broken in the box as it most likely will be from H.D. This saves you an hour or so's labor when you have to return it.
                          sigpic

Comment

A cubic foot of water (Fort Worth) around here costs 3.5 cents. Which means a gallon of water runs me less than half a cent. I have a 3.5g and a 1.6g toilet. I'd say we flush, say, 10 times a day. If we only used the 1.6, would cost us 7.7 cents a day. $2.30 a month. If we only used the 3.5, would cost us 16.8 cents a day. $5.00 a month. The difference between a 1.6 and a 3.5 would run us $32 a year. 20 flushes a day, $64 a year. If I took a poll, I think most people would say a gallon of water is more expensive than it actually is.

Good to save water, certainly. But 90-95% of our water usage is bathing and yard watering. Reclaiming bath water and drought tolerant yard are infinitely more worthwhile than buying a new toilet, in my judgment. Also, I suspect it's often more economical to keep 3.5 instead of paying someone to replace toilet, and paying someone to unstop it once every, say, two or three years. Again, not to say saving water isn't very noble at whatever cost, but framing the issue in terms of economics, not so sure.

I like the Wellworth.

I think 70% of toilet stoppages in 1.6 are thick toilet paper (or something that shouldn't be flushed, e.g baby wipes), or else fillvalve not sending enough water through (slow fill, hose kinked, hose not going into overflow), or flapper not staying up long enough (too deteriorated, not adjusted properly.) Not the fault of the 1.6

Just switching back to thinner paper, and a properly working tank--70%. or more.

Tim

Comment

One more thing. Totos, Kohler Class5s--they're fine, but I wouldn't switch out what I have for one, even if it was free. They're fine, but they don't impress me. The high cost of the Toto/class5 flappers alone (10-12$) would sway me to keep what I have. If you hold the flush lever, the 1.6 is really a 2.0 or 2.2. I think a 1.6 actually flushes better than a 3.5 when you hold the flush lever a bit longer. I know, you're not supposed to hold the flush lever--uses more water. I know. But if you're switching from a 3.5 to a 2.0 or 2.2, still better by 1.3 or 1.5.

That's my 1.6 worth.

Comment

Damnit man, we're Americans, we don't save nothing!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X