X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water saver toilets

I'm going to change out my existing toilets to the 1.6 GPF. I'm an electrical contractor, and not in the loop of experiences with these toilets, but have heard a few "war stories", I'd be interested in information. Since you guys do this every day, I'd like to hear pros and cons of the new 1.6's. (I've been looking at Am Stan and Kohler.)

Re: water saver toilets

If you are going to buy new toilets you don't really have any choice but 1.6 gpf. I personally like the Kohler class five or Toto drake, they come in a variety of styles and are probably the best gravity flush toilets made. I do not care for the American standard although from what I have seen it flushes pretty much the same. Installed 3 dual flush Toto toilets a few weeks ago, customer is very happy with them . They are kind of trick condsidering they do not cost an arm and a leg. I think my cost was under 200.00 a toilet. If you are a contractor you can probably get good prices. Take a look at the links. Just remember that what ever brand you decide on, it is better to spend the extra money on the better flush valve (Toto Drake, Amer Stan Champion, Kohler class five). Try to avoid the low end lines such as Kohler's wellworth and ect.
    http://www.totousa.com/productpage.asp?PID=803
    http://www.totousa.com/index.asp
    Last edited by Crappy days; 02-24-2008, 02:52 PM.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Thanks Crappy Days. I checked the link to Totousa but it does'nt appear to be available in 10" rough in, which is what I need.

Comment

I would go to the local supply house ask them to show you what is available in ten inch rough. Ask the counter guys wich are the best flushing. Usually these guys are ex plumbers they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Also if you go back to the Toto link there is an option on rough in , put in 10" plus any thing else you desire and the site will show you what is available. There are actually several other Toto toilets available.

http://www.totousa.com/ResidentialToiletSearch.asp
        Last edited by Crappy days; 02-24-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I would go with a kohler or toto toilet, you need a 10" rough, I am sure they make a 10" rough with a 3" flush valve.

Do not go with american standard or anything, stick with either kohler or toto, 3" flush valve.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

let me recommend an up and comer the eljer titan not sure if it comes in a ten inch rough but, excellent flush great foot print in front[and all around] covers up pretty much any floor discoloration and still looks great not to bulky. ive got 2 toto gmaxs and one titan and for the price and performance the titan wins.

Comment

I have an American Std toilet in our master bath. It's the fancy one, Roman something, all sculptured, very fancy, very expensive. Won't flush anything on the first try. One of these days it's going to take a fast trip out the second floor window and a Toto's going to take it's place.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                I have an American Std toilet in our master bath. It's the fancy one, Roman something, all sculptured, very fancy, very expensive. Won't flush anything on the first try. One of these days it's going to take a fast trip out the second floor window and a Toto's going to take it's place.
                Drakes are nice..they don't flush, they gulp.

Comment

toto makes a number of high end skirted toilets that have an optional drain el that allows for a 10'' or 14'' ruff. the 12'' comes standard with it.

the only draw back is the with this skirted toilet and drain el. you need to keep your water ruff 8'' left and 8'' or so high.

the great thing is the toilets are high end.

typically only the cheap toilets came in 10'' or 14''. so for only a $40. drain el. you can get a high end toilet in a 10'' ruff. remember though, these high end toilets are $300 plus.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cbjuray View Post
                    I'm going to change out my existing toilets to the 1.6 GPF.
                    Is there any special reason you want to change your toilets other than potential water savings? I'll take a 3.2 GPF any day (for my own place) over the water saver so I don't end up having to give them "The Royal Flush" all the time with a 5 gallon pail of water.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 02-25-2008, 06:39 AM.

Comment

woussko, The prime reason is saving water.I live in Atlanta,Ga. and the water company (Dekalb county) is offering rebates for changeouts and also raising the price of water. We are in a bad drought condition.

Comment

Toto - Toto - Toto
                        sigpic

Comment

You might be in for a bunch of trouble. I have seen more than one house here that never had a problem until the bathrooms were remodled and 1.6's were put in. Typically on older houses with long iron lines.

What era is your house, and more importantly (and what I am really asking), are your drain lines plastic or iron or something else? How many feet of line (roughly, of course) from your bathrooms to the city main or your septic tank? If iron, is it iron all the way or clay after the house? Have you ever had a main line clog? If so what were you told caused it? Consider these things before you replace functioning toilets to get the rebate.

If you have plastic lines (typically 80's or later, at least around here) and have never had a problem, I wouldn't get too worried about it. Iron is rougher inside, gets rougher and gets bits of rust collecting in it with age. Copper and clay are nice and smooth and generally stay that way, though the clay tends to collect roots, but that is a separate issue.

Kohler's Wellworth is cheap, comes in a 10" rough, and I've put them in restaraunt bathrooms without incident. Avoid the American Standard Champion; the flush tower falls apart unless they've fixed it. Any number of lesser known brands are cheaper yet and probably just as good. Briggs comes to mind.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

Kohler's Wellworth is cheap, comes in a 10" rough, and I've put them in restaraunt bathrooms without incident. Avoid the American Standard Champion; the flush tower falls apart unless they've fixed it. Any number of lesser known brands are cheaper yet and probably just as good. Briggs comes to mind.

true. and they have fixed it.

personally the only good 10'' toilet out there is a toto with a 10'' flush el. these are not the cheap low end toilets. figure a good $300+.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Kohler, Ttake a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCddWcaeqs

Comment

Working...
                              X