Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen Sink Drain Leaking, How to make a connection with a new pipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Sink Drain Leaking, How to make a connection with a new pipe?

Hello;

The drain on my kitchen sink has been leaking for some time, but it has recently gotten worse. The way it was setup is there was a metal drain arm that went to the trap, then was just sitting in the pipe in the wall. The pipe in the wall is copper. I had put putty around where the trap pipe connected to the copper pipe in the wall, but it still leaked out, then I put silicon all over it, and that helped for a while, but then it started to leak again.

It is time to fix it properly, but I can't figure out what the proper way to connect my trap (I'll buy a new PVC trap) to the copper pipe in the wall is. The copper pipe in the wall takes a 90 degree turn, so there is not much room to put a pipe very far into it, as I have seen done in other instalations. There is some kind of end on the copper pipe, possiably a connection, but I am unable to identify what it is or what you would use to connect to it.

Here are some detailed photos:

This is a larger view of under the sink if that is helpful. I know the outlet is a hazard there by the drain, it is switched for the disposal. I plan to replace it with a GFIC and move it if possiable, I am not sure I can put a GFIC on a switch however.

Thats what I am up against. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to proceed, they would be greatly appricated. The kitchen is quite a mess right now!

Thanks Again

Jamie Dolan

Re: Kitchen Sink Drain Leaking, How to make a connection with a new pipe?

cant really tell if that copper connection was or is a trap adapter that a jam nut ues to thread onto to secure outlet pipe of trap. some options are to cut pipe below 90 and use a nohub to copper connector and repipe in plastic or cut back and repipe back in copper in either case you should really contact a lisc plumber to make the correct repair.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
      I don't see much copper DWV in my area but I'll make a guess. The little silver lip looks like it might be an adapter screwed into a copper sweat adapter. If so, you may be able to spin it out. No it won't be easy and might fall apart. Then you could adapt from there to put in a new p-trap. If the silver part is not threaded then you should call a local reputable problem to handle this.

J.C.
      I looked at the lip on the drain pipe in the wall more closely, and it does apper that it was threaded, however, it appears pretty striped and I don't think I am going to ever be able to get anything to tighten onto it again.
      The threads were only about 3/8 of an ince deep, not much to grab onto even if the thread were good in the first place.

I think I am going to have to cut the pipe after the 90 and make a new connection to it.

The thing that makes it more difficult is that the 90 doesn't go stright down, it goes to the right before it goes down, so I would be connecting to the pipe in a paralell direction.

A no-hub is one of thoses flexiable rubber couplers with hose clamps on them?

Thanks

Jamie

Comment

It appears you have a trap adapter that's broke off some of the threads. I would recommend cutting this section out and replacing with pvc. Make the copper to pvc connection with a fernco as previously said.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Looks like what we call a 'Marvel' adapter.

No getting that thing out now without an internal pipe wrench

You might need to call in reinforcements on this one

Comment

looks like a desanco into a 1 1/2" fem. adapter.. or what left of a milwaukee p trap

Comment

Humorous note, please don't take this the wrong way....
              Got a call last month for a Kitchen reface, with granite counter tops.
              Guy asked me how much to remove & replace...I gave him a price.
              He said it was a bit more than he'd figured (granite counter tops are cheap?).
              He told me he'd call in a month for me to install the finish, but he'd save on the demo and just rip out the plumbing himself.

Month later....to my surprise he calls..."How much to install?"

Surprisingly, my installation price was also "a bit more than he figured", he said he'd call back...never did.

In the pics above, I see what appears to be a scully adapter ("marvel" in other states), or a brass hub where someone didn't know to not cut it right at the hub on the demo.
              I couldn't help but comment...funny coincidence here.
              Again, no insult intended, but Plumbers Crack sums it well...you might wanna bring in the enforcements.
              Now, if you decide to call a local plumber and my phone rings...please excuse me if I chuckle...that would be funny.

Comment

Isn't that just a brass thread by sweat bushing/ trap adapter. Was the old waste arm brass /soldered in. If you now how to solder , you could easily heat that up and unthread it. Then you could screw in a new brass, PVC, or ABS adapter. Being that it is so close to the wall(wood) do not attempt unless you are really confident. As others have said call a profesional.
                THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I think I'd just un-swett it and swett a new one back on. Should take about 15 minutes. It's an 1 1/2" copper female desanko. Guess if you can't find a copper one you could un-swett the old one and use an 1 1/2 fernco to a 1 1/2" pvc x street desanko.
                  sigpic

Comment

It appears to me to be a threaded elbow with a partial threaded piece screwed into it. If that's the case, you can cut out the old threads and replace with a brass nipple or equivalent.

A hacksaw blade - preferably in a holder - make an internal cut almost to the threads. Make another cut about 3/4" from the first. Break out the piece between cuts, twist the remainder out.

If that doesn't work, you may be cutting the wall to attach to the arm.

Comment

We were able to unswett it and soder on a new on as you suggested. The copper adapters we got seemed a lot more sturdy than using the fernco style adaptor.

The old one ended up being a old pipe that was threaded into that elbow, that someone had cut off at some point. I am sure you guys where right that it would have had to have a special inside wrench or something to remove that. I am lucky the elbow was replaced pretty easily.

Moved the outlet as well, this photo is shot from below looking up, so now the outlet is next to any above the drain.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I work with computers (design and some technical work) and digital photography, ask away. :-)

Thanks again
                      Jamie

Comment

well done

Comment

Good job Jamie,you got skills.I know guys that have their ladies calling a plumber that can't do as nice a job.
                          They would have at least fried the insulation.

Comment

All looks ok, but I never thread metal into plastic, pressure or not, you risk a crack, I would have used a FIP and threaded a plastic Mip into it.

Just my 2 cents.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                            X